29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 29' Carter Safari

Hey Matt, what a great place to work. the pics are great from a phone. If work will allow I think I am going to try and take the boat to long beach for the fireworks show this saturday. speeence, I guess I still have the lowest hull number I have run into so far. does your boat have a inside helm? well I better get back to work. yak at ya all latter. :cool:

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just read this entire thread. My hats off to you guys. What a good job you lads have done. If only half the kids today had you 2s drive I would think the world had a chance!!! Good work!
On a side note, what you got burning over that way. I live in Ferndale,,WA. and see alot of smoke in the air. Another forest fire?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

thanks! bet the smoke is fireworks, today is Canada Day(canada's birthday), so there are a lot of fireworks and stuff happening.

the boat will probably get some use assisting the Coast Guard this year aswell, ive already had 2 cases this season where i could have pulled someone off rocks or towed them in if i had a boat with decent power at my reach. The marina only has a little 17' double eagle with a 50hp on it, it can tow, and has, but the coast guard is way faster... that is until ours is done..:D

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, if you guys are wondering, the lack of the boat being done, is our lack of planning for summer work hours, and now we have 0 days off together! makes it very tricky to have time to work on the boat, no matter use it if we did get it done..... We are going to try to get back to it asap, and plan next summer better depending on if we keep it and use it, or if we sell it once its done and turn a decent profit .. possibly to move on to something larger:p Working at a marina has made me want larger, working with 60+fters all day long, and there 30' "dingys"...LOL

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a rule when i restore one. i have to use it for one season. then i can sell it.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, Brett("Navis") quit his secondary weekend job, so now we both have the weekends off, so we should get this thing done now! More to come this weekend

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Way to go! Take this Job and Shove it:D

I quit working in 2005 (retired) and I love being a bum and a stay at home dad

Look forward to seeing more progress on the boat

and more cat pics. It's funny how he watches you work and gets in all the photos
(I saw him in the beemer thread)

navis

Seaman

Well, after a long break we have finally started to get back into the groove of things, it was a little difficult to get motivated with the 34 degree heat, but once we got started things got moving!

Began by bolting down the engines with some big lags.

We then drilled out the 2" hole for the new depth sounder, there is no wood in the core! And it took four hands and a big industrial drill just to get through it.

I then started pressure washing and prepping the bottom for paint, was hoping to get a couple coats on but apparently you have to wait until just a couple days before she goes in the water or else the paint will go bad. I got about 80% done the prep for the paint though.

We then started painting the outdrives and a few other linkages, etc. we got one totally done and rebuilt with new seals, which doesn't sound like much, but damn it is a big job, only one more to go!

Thanks for reading
-Navis

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Brett, good to see you posting also. that drive looks almost new.

navis

Seaman

Thanks, it's just too bad that you never even see the leg anyways once it is in the water. We were mostly focusing on protection, but they turned out looking pretty good too.

I will most likely be posting more often now as I bought a new camera :p

navis

Seaman

I worked on the boat for a few more hours today and finished the bottom prep, but it is just too hot out to do anymore! So I'm off to the river with some buddies to do some cliff jumping! :p

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, just a heads up I think you may have too much bottom paint, I use about 1 liter to do my boat with a brush from the dollar store rather than a roller.
Btw I was a chase boat for the bathtub race we passed by your marina, here is a photo.
IMGP1455sml.jpg

navis

Seaman

Wow, that is a good picture! Can you believe that after all of these years of living on the island I have only watched the 'tubs race once!? Were you on your boat or a company chase boat?

Only one litre? Following the cover area on the can we calculated we need just over two cans to do two coats on the bottom ( 8 litres )

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

wow, coastalcruiser, only 1 liter? jeez.... we are going to have some extra. Neat pic of the bathtub.

yup, Brett's fancy new camera is better then mine, so he will probably be mosting the updates more often then me from now on.... LOL

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Were you on your boat or a company chase boat

I was on my boat, Just emailed the bathtub society and got in touch with Max, it was so much fun! beat the livin snot out of my old bayliner but it held up ok

Just thought i would mention the coverage is better with a brush, and goes a long way. you have a large boat just suggest you only open one can and you can always return what you dont use :)

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

lots o good stuff happening right now! been working on the boat pretty much non stop since friday night... Spent most of saturday shopping.

things underway:
-blowers(mounts glued to hull)
-throttle and shift cables(installed, connected to control box, but not to engine or legs yet)
-Dash, glove box hole filled with a new peice of wood containing the switches and ignitions, main center dash started
-new marine grade speakers installed on back walls, new 12v deck installed in the cabin
- lots of wiring, all dash functions working, fused, and tidy
- fuel lines nearly complete(afew feet short of line)
- water lines almost complete
- back wall of cabin preped for new wood and paint

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

boats fridge, works quite well, probably needs to be recharged

parrisw

Ensign

Really nice work guys. I'd love to do a project like that, but the time these days, is limited.

navis

Seaman

Pictures!

All of the stuff that we need to install

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

New deck, hands free calling and everything :p

DSC00296.jpg

Neat little switch panel I made to fill the holes where the glovebox was

DSC00300.jpg

Gauges, trying to decide on a good layout.

DSC00302.jpg

Finally, the view out my bedroom window, a couple boats rafted up in our parking space :p

DSC00303.jpg

Thats all for now!
Thanks for reading!
-Navis

Status
Not open for further replies.