21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

My Stingers are only 20&1/2" apart. I wish it was wider, But its only a 16ft. On My stringers I noticed half of the rivets were loose and about 1/4 of them were gone. So I am replacing them with Stainless Steel Rivets, The bad thing is I had to buy a air riveter to put them in as you can't do it buy hand as they are just to tough. Zrt.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
attn JimbC

attn JimbC

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for re: the front deck supports but here are a couple of photos that I took of the angle pieces that are riveted to the hull to support the front casting deck...
DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And for a work update while I'm at it... Nope. Rainy and cold here.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you gonna replace all the rivets on the hull, or only the ones that are loose?

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With the rivets, we did tighten most of the rivets in the bow. None were found to be actually loose but I did have a couple that the paint had "popped" around the edge of the rivet indicating to me that they had moved somewhat.
Hammer on the inside and hammer on the outside did the job following with a gluvit chaser!

21StarcraftCC

Recruit

I just picked up a 21' Stacraft jsut like this one, please let me know where you found the old catalog brochure picture from, i would like to be able to see a full size copy if you could. Ill be posting pictures as soon as i can. It was a great find, thanks!

21StarcraftCC

Recruit

Hi, seeing how far your getting on your Starcraft. I just picked up one of these myself, a 21' Mariner CC 1976. Finally beating my dads 17' CC. Id like to see if you have done anymore work. I should pics up of mine shortly.
-Koog
1976 21' Starcraft CC Mariner

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey 21StarcraftCC, make sure you make it down to the Starcraft section of this forum. Lots of us hanging out there. Start a new thread and post some pictures of your boat. We'd love to see it. Also, if you don't mind, could you update your profile with your location? We SC guys like to see where everyone else is. Welcome to iBoats!

Greendiver, don't know why I haven't commented in this thread yet although I have been following it. You're doing a great job on that deck. I just picked up an 18' SC SuperSport project and I hope to replicated your excellent work on the gluvit, foam, and deck. You're doing a GREAT job.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

21StarcraftCC, those pics were posted by North Beach. (...and very much appreciated by the way!)
I second the motion, fire up a thread and show everyone what you have!

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ezmobee, thanks for the encouragement. With the weather and all getting a little colder and wetter progress has really slowed/stopped!

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good news! Finished riveting my deck in, but I did wear out my rivet gun! Tucked 'er back under the tarps and hopefully will have a couple of near 70 days to put some resin on top. Have to say that it feels pretty solid, glad I went with the 3/4". (Thinking that I may double up on the rivets since I have plenty left.)

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ah! Feels like we're getting somewhere now!

Finished with riveting....
DSC01868.jpg

Lots of stalagt(m?)ites on the edges....
DSC01876.jpg

Sanding the deck before resin...
DSC01874.jpg

Cleaning....
DSC01878.jpg

Still the same batch of resin from the bottoms....
DSC01883.jpg

...to the refit! Bottoms up!
DSC01879.jpg

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1st coat of resin on the deck surface from the bow...
DSC01881.jpg

...and the stern.
DSC01882.jpg

And put to bed til next time!
DSC01884.jpg

I was gonna take a photo of the great colors on the trees but I forgot, simply amazing right now!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lookiing great! I'm going to be doing the same thing fairly soon so I appreciate the info and pics.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will the resin be brittle and break if only applied over the wood?

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jeez I hope not! :eek:
I do plan on a layer of fabric before the top deck finish is applied but I am fairly certain that a couple of coats of the epoxy resin would leave this wood as protected as anything else I could do. I know from cleaning up my plastic spreaders and containers that this stuff is very flexible, more so than I would have imagined. The epoxy resin is said to be a bit more forgiving or flexible than the poly is, but then again how much flex is there really?
BTW, great work on your conversion Evildocrsx, seeing yours makes me wish I could put a CC back in this Mariner.

North Beach

Commander

ED & GD,
The trick to applying the resin is thinner is better. Multiple coats basically as thin as it will go will keep it from becoming brittle. Since you've done a coat without glass you'll end up with at least three on this project. Do your next coat with glass and then a top coat. The glass makes your decking way more stronger than resin without.

Lookin good!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Greendiver you sure are doing some nice work there:)

Not sure we'll be getting any warmer weather for a while...I'm going to be running a kerosene heater in my garage so that I can work on my 16' SS this winter.

Seems like a Great Lakes starcraft get-together will be necessary in the future:D

Good luck with the rig, she is looking great.

I especially like the plans for side-facing bench seats. Not sure if I would have room for something like that but I may look into it.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the kind words. Yea, I like the seat layout too and think it will allow for the most with the least if you know what I mean!
The warm weather is certain to be in short supply so we're almost done til spring. I have a friend who has offered to allow me to park in his barn over winter and I think I'll take him up on it. (Not sure if I said that before, if I did, sorry bout that!)