21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

Talk to NB about how he did his deck if your in the mood to go resin. I just used two very thick coats of 1 part poly on mine. So far no regrets. Then again, I've never got the deck wet other than wiping it down when cleaning. My boat is very, very dry inside.

I like the interior your thinking about. I do hear a lot of folks talking about how they took out their bench box seets and put in a second set of post style seats. I have mine set up with 4 post seats and the back seats have only been in it once while fishing. I like a lot of room. But again, mines only a 18 and 3 more feet is a lot more room.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayup. This deck is gonna get wet to be sure, I was even brainstorming on ways to help get it down to the bilge. I am thinking the fabric in the resin may be overkill but we'll see when we get there.

Looked at your tank install SS, I wasn't going to put anything between the tank and the hull but now I will look for something cheap and easy to insulate one from the other. I know I want zero movement as my poly tank may be less forgiving than an aluminum.

The advantage for me on the bench/box seats is the added seating (+2) and the added storage which will always be at a premium. Has anyone added an anchor locker up on the very front cap, where many of our boats have the front cleat mounted?
In this area.
DSC01802-1-1.jpg

That carpet glue is gonna be a real pain to get off. Probably just gonna smooth it as best as I can and do something textured over it .

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Carpet glue goes away quickly with MEK. But there is a Citrus adhesive remover that HD is now stocking. I've never tried it but I heard it removes the infamous Blue Glue so it should work on our carpet glue. However, when in doubt, MEK works everytime. I did my entire hull in a day.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I may try the citrus stuff but I can tell you that after about 2 minutes of scraping on that stuff my patience is the only thing that got worn thin. May shoot straight to the MEK, thanks for the tip!

For those of you who have done the resin on the bottoms of the deck pieces, how many coats did it take til you were satisfied?

Last edited:

sprintst

Commander

Cool boat man.

I'm going to try the Mek on the glue under the bow. I'm not sure if I'm going to paint over it or recover in carpet. Everything else I tried took way too much time.

I'll have to wear my mask that filters vocs as that is some nasty stuff.

I did the underside of my deck in resin but that stuff is hard to work with as it sets up waaay to fast. I did the topside in fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin which gives you way more time and it is a fastener as well. I kinda rushed mine but mine isn't perfect but I'm sure it's there to stay for a looong time.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I went in to purchase the MEK and was asked by a sales clerk what I was going to use it on, "Carpet adhesive" I said. She recommended something in the flooring section that I purchased. After getting home I read the fine print and it say not for use on non-water based adhesives!:eek: That does me absolutely no good. Try try again!

If it comes off and is pretty decent I plan on painting the areas previously carpeted with gloss, if not, then something with a texture to it. That's the plan anyway!

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

MEK Search Part II

I drop into the local hardware store to look for the MEK to strip the carpet glue from the boats interior (Carpet on the exterior would've been odd...) and I ask the clerk about it. "What are you looking to do with it?" I tell him and he says "That's what your looking for, its right here." Bingo! Alright so I read the back and it says "Do not use as an adhesive remover."
:eek: :confused: :mad:
I look at him, he at me, "huh, your on your own!" he says. I brought my gallon home so this weekend the stripping can begin!:D I am going to go back to my old policy of believing everything I read on the internet.

Also picked up a quart of aluminum colored paint for the interior to go with the light gray/dark gray/dark blue color scheme.

Work update: Last night put the last of the coats of epoxy resin on the bottom of my deck. Its crunch time now to stop waffling and make a decision on whether to go the CC or the DC route.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking boat!! That is what I want to end up with someday!!! Zrt.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Zrt, I hope to have one someday too!

Just a quick update, not a lot of progress this past weekend. The deck got a couple of coats of stain, the deck in my backyard and not the boat! Ah well.

Did use some MEK to help get the carpet adhesive cleaned off and got the port side done for the most part. Have you guys been able to get it all the way down (smooth) without using a ton of MEK? Seems to be taking a ton to get little results.

The bottoms of the deck, for the boat this time, have all had 4 coats of resin and are waiting for me to install them.

Did a little work on the little holes in the hull from snaps and whatnot. Here are some photos...
DSC01841.jpg

DSC01843.jpg

DSC01844.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

Last edited:

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some work progress to post...

Laying in foam below the fuel tank.
DSC01853.jpg

Fuel tank and remainder of foam in place...
DSC01854.jpg

Lotsa rivets to use.
DSC01856.jpg

Putting rivets in action.
DSC01855.jpg

2 pieces of deck installed with rain on the horizon.

DSC01859.jpg

Thats it for now. Hope that we will be able to get the rest of the deck installed this week. After that we be begin laying out seating and consoles with cardboard cutouts.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your progress is looking real good, you are doing a fine job... I really like this boat looking forward to seeing it completed.

North Beach

Commander

Good Job on the foam and the deck Jim. This is gonna be a nice one!

Man, I want one of them Mariners!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Greendiver slow down a bit buddy I might need some measurements from you.:D
Hey it's looking really good I must say, But I could use the measurements on those angle pieces in the bow, mine are missing and will need to replace them what thickness and what size is it. Hey NB did you mix his resto up with mine??:D If so I am not this far along. I haven't even ordered my Nyloboard yet.:eek:

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

are you using JB weld to fill in the snap holes ??? if so did you use anything as a backer like a piece of screen or something ?? i was thinking of going that route but i was worried about the JB eventually popping out and messing up the paint job. i was also thinking about just closing them with rivets .... not like the boat doesnt already have plenty of them .. lol cbg

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to later this week when I can start working a little more on the floor plan a bit. Wish I could go faster!

I'll get out there tonight and snap some photos of the front deck brackets and support for you Jimbc. If there is anything in particular besides the angle brackets that actually mount in the bow, let me know.

Re the the rivet holes, I put some tape on the backside and slathered in some JB. Got the tip here on iBoats but can't remember who it was. If they do pop out, in go the rivets with some sealant!

I think I put in 5 sheets of 1" foam in, but in all the excitement I can't really remember myself. Not sure if it'll do much but I will look under the splashwell, gunwales, and bow cap for a place to put some more. Lotsa unused space in those areas.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are well on your way to a great looking boat!!! I am re-doing a 16ft Starcraft myself. How much epoxy have you went through?? Also how much gluvit ?? I need to buy these yet. I really like your under the floor fuel tank but I have not found one to fit my 16ft yet. (Here in Michigan its time to get er done!!) Zrt.

North Beach

Commander

Greendiver slow down a bit buddy I might need some measurements from you.:D
Hey it's looking really good I must say, But I could use the measurements on those angle pieces in the bow, mine are missing and will need to replace them what thickness and what size is it. Hey NB did you mix his resto up with mine??:D If so I am not this far along. I haven't even ordered my Nyloboard yet.:eek:

No, it's you guys fault we have two Jims restoring Mariners here:p

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

AHHHH! :D @ NB i didn't know his name was Jim also. That splains it.:D

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ha! Its a conspiracy of confusion!

Zrt, I used the 2lb can of Gluvit and was able to get a good coat on all of the thru hull rivets and seams. With the epoxy resin, I bought a gallon of the West Systems with the slow hardener. So far I have put 4 coats of resin on the bottoms of all my deck pieces, including what could be called the casting deck and I have about a quart or so left. I'll have to get some more resin when I have deck completely laid in. About the fuel tank, how far apart are your stringers on your boat?