21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After hanging out for a bit, I've decided to jump in and start a thread to track the journey of getting this Mariner back in the water.
DSC01736.jpg

This is going to be my new best friend, I'm sure...
DSC01766.jpg

A photo of the bow....
DSC01695.jpg

...and the stern.
DSC01696.jpg

Here is the way the windshield was mounted prior to being disassembled by the PO. I would like to lift the windshield about 10-12" to allow for more protection if I can get it to look ok and not crazy out of proportion.
DSC01768.jpg

Wait a minute, windshield? Well when I bought this boat I didn't realize that the Mariner was a center console boat. I just thought it was very similar to the SS but a little plainer. One of the PO's must have added the walk through at some point. If I'm off in the woods, please educate me!

Oh well, off to tighten hull rivets and shop for Gluvit, and buy more rivets.:D

Last edited:

North Beach

Commander
Re: 21' Starcraft Mariner Refit

GD, are you sure it's a Mariner? With the windshield, it sure looks like you may have an ss there. Did the PO have any pics of the boat when it was together? any paperwork with the boat?

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am absolutely sure, that I am unsure! I initially thought the SS but a couple of things a different...
...the elevated bow sections do not come back to the windshield.
...there is (was) also a channel that ran along the starboard stringer that I don't see on the SS photos here.
...also there are no provisions for the side boards/shelf area that is on the SS models.

Unfortunately as far as paperwork, none. The title has HOMEBUILT on it with no other helpful info. The PO is unsure as well.

If anyone has info that would better identify this boat I would appreciate it. I intend to keep the walk thru windshield as it should be more comfortable on those cooler and wet days.

NB, I have to admit you have set the bar very high for the rest of us. I have to keep telling myself that this will be my sport utility boat and will not even be in the same league as your, and others, restoration. Although different boats, I have referred back to your page often and learn something new each time.

Thanks to all the iboat'ers, I can pull this off!

North Beach

Commander

OK, so we got us a mystery boat here:D Nothing wrong with that.

As far as approach to refitting, you have to decide what you want. If I had that particular setup, I'd probably do it a tad different than I did mine. Maybe some day I'll find me an old Mariner or SS. Then you'll see a little bit of a different approach as we'd be looking to turn her into a fishing/utility boat.

We just wanted to do something special with the Liquid Limo since it was a family boat.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And a nice boat it turned out to be!

I was able to go and pick up some goodies at the Marina today and got some stuff done.

Applied the Gluvit...
th_DSC01785.jpg

A fuel tank that I found for below deck.. 27 gallons, a close match for my rusted Mirax 25gallon tank. Yet out of the way!
th_DSC01791.jpg

Tested tank for position and fit. I am going to have to relocate the fill to starboard but other than that, great fit!
th_DSC01786.jpg

Added some braces to frame in the fuel tank, and added a third to tie the front of the stringers together near the bow...
th_DSC01789.jpg

About securing the tank, I am thinking of using some dreaded spray in foam at the four corners. Is there a problem with that that I am not thinking of?

Over the coming holiday weekend I hope to have my deck panels cut out and at least the bottom coated with epoxy resin, if all goes according to plan of course!

rhemund

Recruit

What a great boat to start a project with. Now I must convince my wife to let me get one.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome R! Just remember to ask nicely! Take some time and check out the boats that have been done here, very impressive.

Mystery solved, I looked on the hull plate again and is says "Mariner" right on it. DOH!:p

North Beach

Commander

OK, here's the Mariner from the 71 brochure. Hope this helps!

71MarinerV.jpg

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Greendiver yes Mariners did have a windshield not sure that all did but I was told by (Steve) from Starcraft. That my 76 Mariner had a windshield. He is sending me a brochure as soon as I get it I will post pics. I could really use some help from you on some nice hi-res pics of yours maybe even some measurements of that bow piece and maybe that windshield mine was missing this stuff but I can see where it was there once. I have a 76 MRNR

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NB, wow I really appreciate you posting that, thank you!. It helps to see what it once was. Even typing this I keep going back and looking at it!

I do have some of the wooden rod holders that go mount in the side ribs like shown.

JimbC I will be happy to take some more detailed photo's and any measurements you would need. Your looking at the front deck specifically?

I have to admit that the CC would be nice and open. Seating would sure be a problem though when not fishing or diving. Hmm maybe have to rethink my direction here.

Andy in NY

Commander

in an ideal world, we would all have a cc for fishing... and an SS for fun, and a chieftan/islander for cruising with the family...
:D

i love cc's though.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet ! Will be watching your progress. Good luck.
Mine is on hold as I heal from stupidity.:(

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wahoo! Just a quick update...

The Merc 1150 has good compression and spark! It will live! Tons of wires with rotted insulation and opens aplenty, but it will live!

mikastorm, I can tell you that in my own experiences I don't really heal from stupidity, it just sorta goes into remission for a time..

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GET OUT OF TOWN! :eek::eek::eek:

I center console Starcraft...that is amazingly cool. Thought I had seen them all on this board...guess not.

Very cool boat...I want one:(

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love the idea of the CC but... In my case it would be just too specific of a purpose. (My wife would KNOW that I am building a dive/fish boat rather than a pleasure boat that I could also manage to dive and fish from!:D It helps that she likes the water as much as I do) Andy, I'm with ya on the 3 boat theory but my check book and driveway see it differently!

All kidding aside, the current plan is to push the cockpit (or dual consoles) with the walk thru up against the rearmost portion of the front deck. Should give me the most usable space and still have the benefits of seating and protection from weather, somewhat anyway. Anyone have any ideas on if this this weight shift will neg. impact the handling of this boat? I wouldn't think so as it would more resemble the Holiday or similar.

Construction update, laid in the deck that was removed by the previous owner to be sure the fit was acceptable and could be used as a template, all is good with some minor adjustments. Also will be laying in some extra support to run across the stringers to help stiffen things a bit. (No screws thru the bottom of the hull - Check). The plan is to use 1/2" for my deck, but I don't want to feel like I'm standing on a mattress!:mad:

Guys have a great holiday weekend!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

OK want to verify whats going on with this Mariner windshield dilemma. I explained to the guy at STARCRAFT that my boat looked like it had a windshield
mounted to the front area like a SS and he confirmed it. Now my boat being a CC I know almost every CC has the little windscreen usually mounted to the CC. So he tells me yes the Mariners had a windshield up front. I thought it was weird and not correct but he said it did. Now I have received the brochure on my 76 Mariner and it is just as I thought no windshield up front just the little windscreen on the CC. Still not sure what was mounted to my boat unless the PO had changed this boat to a side console and added a windshield.
confused0024.gif
So to edit my earlier post NO the Mainer did not have a windshield at least in 76 they did not. Sorry for the poor quality this is as good as it gets from what they sent me. click the photo to get the biggest size.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hehe, my Mariner has gone through a couple of different configurations and is ready to have another!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Use this as a rule of thumb for your deck. If the widest span =

48" = 3/4" deck
36" = 5/8" deck
24" = 1/2" deck

Go to the next thickness if you exceed the max span by more than an inch.

5/8" is probably factory and would be good choice. 3/4 is overkill and is what I used but wouldn't again. If you do, you may have to throw a few more ponies on the transom and might have to adjust for the extra height along the way.

I think that most will agree, the trick to building a great Starcraft is to keep it simple whenever possible.

Also, don't know if you have that new tank in yet but if you take a look at my resto thread you can see how it's done really easy.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ss, thanks for the info on that. I have enough 1/2 in my garage to do the deck but at the last minute I chickened out and brought home some 3/4. I had laid out the 1/2 (which is what was on it by the way) and there was quite a bit of flex. I do plan on laying resin and some fabric on the top but the thought of always thinking "...coulda, woulda, shoulda.." would really bum me out.

Here are some photos of the trial fitting of the decking plywood. The resin will be going on the bottoms in the morning. Am I right in that I should put a second coat down within the same day?

Gotta hand it to those of you who have laid a deck in without a template. That would have taken an easy job into a real pain! My hat is off to you!

DSC01800.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

Last edited:

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a pic of a floor plan that I am thinking about adopting for our Mariner. The jury is still out!
Sep01_0002.jpg