2004 16' tracker deck repair

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a this boat. It's a pro guide v16. The previous owner had replaced the decking with marine grade plywood when the carpet was redone last year. The problem is that for some unknown reason, the main deck area was replaced with 3 strips of plywood, making it feel flimsy. I just pulled this main floor area, and the wood is still mint, but I cant stand the creaking every time I take a step. Do I need to replace with a single sheet of plywood, or can I add something (stringer like) to the under side to make it sturdy? Any advise is appreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 16' tracker deck repair

How thick is the creaking plywood? If half inch, maybe step up to 5/8" or even 3/4". I put 3/4" in both the project boats I've completed and I love how rock solid it is.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Is the grain of the wood running with the framing or at a right angle to it? It should be running at a right angle.

You could frame up some "nailers" with aluminum angle for the joints to fasten to, but I'd replace the 3 pieces with one piece... much stronger.

I agree with EZ, 3/4" decking is rock solid and it's what I have in my boat. No spring, no bounce, and it sounds like a counter top or solid core wood door when you rap on it with your knuckles.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Grain is running port to star, and it's 3/4". I went ahead and screwed in 2 40" lengths of some pressure treated 2 x 4 that run parallel to the boats aluminum stringers. I know this is not something that is going to last, but even if it gets me through the season, I can go ahead and replace this new decking with more new decking next year. I used 3" stainless screws, so hopefully they hold the supports on tight.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when they make ply wood,,,they alternate the grain of the wood for each ply...so grain does not matter much.

the real deal is to use the ply in 4 foot sections......so if you have a 7 foot beam the wood is layed width wize.
under the joint,,,is a cross member.....even ply on the flat will do. but a bulkhead from hull to under deck is better.

once the deck is glassed it wont move......if the deck is foamed properly....ita all the better due to the antu crush support of the foam.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....3/4 inch is a good solid ply.......but too much weight IMHO if a deck is supported with frames.....and glassed properly.....it will never creak....even if you are 400 lbs.

some of the guys are not using foam....but things like milk jugs or pool noodles for flotation.....these things do not add any extra deck support, so a extra layer of glass should be used,,,,,,,or 3/4 wood is a possibility

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The pressure treated wood is going to eat any aluminum it touches.......

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

ACQ pressure treated lumber is evil voodoo for aluminum, highly corrosive chemical reaction. This is the reason I suggested the aluminum angle "nailers". If you're going to install wood in your boat use regular pine or fir and seal it with spar urethane or epoxy resin.

Your plywood decking is creaking because the edges of the pieces are touching and creak because they rub against eachother when one piece is stepped on. You can trim the pieces at the joints so there's a 1/8" gap between the pieces and they don't touch to eliminate the creaking if you're not going to replace the decking to a full sheet.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/the-corrosive-problem-acq-treated-lumber

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ACQ pressure treated lumber is evil voodoo for aluminum, highly corrosive chemical reaction.
Ok that's scary. Interesting article as well. I didn't actually think of the chemicals that make up PT wood. My PT add in's don't actually touch any of the aluminum, but I can see it getting wet, and then dripping corrosive PT knarly stuff onto the aluminum hull, , so now I'm paranoid, and thinking I should get it out of there anyway. Looks like I'll be pulling out the floor again and shopping for some aluminum support. By aluminum nailers, are you talking about using framing studs?...
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/marino-ware-3-5-8-in-x-10-ft-20-gauge-metal-drywall-stud-292587.html

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

btw.....3/4 inch is a good solid ply.......but too much weight IMHO if a deck is supported with frames.....and glassed properly.....it will never creak....even if you are 400 lbs.
This is my 1st Aluminum. Glassed? Should marine grade plywood floor be sealed or glassed? The whole thing, or just at any seams? I am quite certain that the previous owner did not apply any type of sealer, and certainly did nothing about the joints.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here you can see the underside of the floor I removed. If I cant find an aluminum stud, then I guess I'll go with a pine stud and some epoxy resin.
trackerfloor.jpg
trackerfloor2.jpg
Thanks again for the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Contrary to popular belief, unless stated otherwise, marine grade ply is NOT treated against rot. It's just a better quality product with varying improvements such as better glue, more plys, ply laid on a diagonal, etc etc. It should still be sealed. Best is with fiberglass and resin, 2nd is with epoxy resin alone (then painted as epoxy has no UV tolerance), 3 would be spar varnish, then you get down to paint products.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok that's scary. Interesting article as well. I didn't actually think of the chemicals that make up PT wood. My PT add in's don't actually touch any of the aluminum, but I can see it getting wet, and then dripping corrosive PT knarly stuff onto the aluminum hull, , so now I'm paranoid, and thinking I should get it out of there anyway. Looks like I'll be pulling out the floor again and shopping for some aluminum support. By aluminum nailers, are you talking about using framing studs?...
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/marino-ware-3-5-8-in-x-10-ft-20-gauge-metal-drywall-stud-292587.html

That's galvanized drywall stud.

Home depot does sell aluminum angle and "U" channel, look for it over by the welding supplies.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...d=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Edited to say: Your deck framing job is crap! Is there something that goes in that wide bay? If not I suggest you add additional framing.

1 1/2" aluminum angle where the red lines are, attach them with 3/16" dia. "pop" rivets or stainless nyloc nuts and bolts. This will put an end to the deck feeling flimsy and weak and stiffen everything up nicely for a rock solid deck.

trackerfloor.jpg

I suggest putting the crossmember angles in on 12" centers.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so It's just something tracker must do? It doesn't look like anything has ever been in that bay. Just a big waste of unsupported space. I wonder what the thought process was when tracker designed the stringers? Add storage later? In any case, it seems I now have a bigger project than I anticipated. I like the idea of adding the aluminum angle, and it seems to be a simple enough task to rivet them to the existing stringers...but how will I attach the crossmembers? Should I build 2 separate rectangles, and rivet them together?

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's what I had done with the PT. It actually felt quite solid. Not sure exactly how long this type of repair would have lasted. I guess I'll never know :rolleyes:
floor.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I like the idea of adding the aluminum angle, and it seems to be a simple enough task to rivet them to the existing stringers...but how will I attach the crossmembers? Should I build 2 separate rectangles, and rivet them together?

Just cut them to fit underneath the 2 parallel angles, pull them up tight to the parallel angles and put 2 rivets on each side through the parallel angles into the crossmember angles.

The parallel angles will also stiffen up your stringers where the flange has been cut off for the pedestal seats.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just cut them to fit underneath the 2 parallel angles, pull them up tight to the parallel angles and put 2 rivets on each side through the parallel angles into the crossmember angles.
That's what I was thinking. I was worried that the slight 1/8" drop by doing this would still give me a bit of flex, and after a lot of movement over time, would loosen up the rivets. I guess I can a 3rd parallel angle right up the middle, and finish it all all by fastening the decking with a few stainless screws
Should be fun!...thanks for your help

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

3 or 4 screws through the decking into each cross member will keep everything pulled up nice and tight.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got my aluminum this morning at a local Metal dealer and it was 1/3 the price of home depot...and home depot in Canada charged double what it costs in the US for aluminum angle. Go figure. I'll post pics of my finished product. I've never worked with aluminum or rivets before, so this should be fun.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

That spot under deck looks like a great place to put in a bigger under deck fuel tank,...