2004 16' tracker deck repair

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2004 16' tracker deck repair

Got my aluminum this morning at a local Metal dealer and it was 1/3 the price of home depot...and home depot in Canada charged double what it costs in the US for aluminum angle. Go figure. I'll post pics of my finished product. I've never worked with aluminum or rivets before, so this should be fun.

It'll be fun! Do you have the grip range for your rivets figured out?

You should install the rivets for the parallel pieces on about 4" centers and stagger them top to bottom, these are the pieces that're going to hold everything up.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That spot under deck looks like a great place to put in a bigger under deck fuel tank,...
I think it's crazy that the boat has this big wasted space, and that tracker didnt even bother put any type of deck support there. I think I'll wait to see if the boat actually floats before I do any major modifications. I've got some concerning dents on the hull and even some small cracks...but that one's for another thread..I hope I got a good deal on this boat...$2900 and it came with a nice trailer and 50 HP 2 stroke merc that I have not water tested or checked compression on.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got it started, and added in the stringer support, and one of the crossmembers with 3 to go. The stringer rivets are at 6" centers right now, so I'll definitely stagger some more rivets in there. I used the 3/16 rivets as suggested, and also the 1/8" thick angle. I did end up going with the 1 1/2 inch for the stringers and 2" for the crossmembers. Should be nice and solid when it's done. My arms are now tired from the awkward drilling, and cold beer was calling.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg484/efdog/8d6ee3ea.jpg?t=1331413225

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg484/efdog/0ebd49da.jpg?t=1331413173

Still not exactly sure to post a pic correctly to the site without having some type of link.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Copy and paste the imagine code from photobucket right into your thread.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After several busted drill bits, 2 busted driver bits, and many painful positions, I'm finally done. It may have taken me longer than it should have but the floor is nice and solid now.

31ea8ac5.jpg

9ee8852d.jpg

The reason I spaced the crossmembers with such odd center dimensions was to match the seams of the 3 piece floor. I'm glad I did too as it was still squeeky until I screwed each side of the seam into the crossmembers.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this, especially to jigngrub for coming up with the idea.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I love a boat fix story with a happy ending!

Looks like a job well done and I'm glad everything worked out for you.