1998 Johnson 175 Ficht Not Starting

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
ok all this says the coils don't fire ....we are back to the ground pulses on the control leads ...

Since all plugs don't fire likelyhood of a bad ECU is a definite possibility or... the ECU is not firng because it decides not to do so for sensor reasons... line a bad CPS . check manual for potential reasons for NO STARTS

it may be a good time investment to recheck all system voltages as per manual. recheck all connectors and check contacts were possible ...aply contact cleaner.

whalerbob

Seaman
Today I check if fuel was getting into the cylinders by following Crosbyman's advice and I can confirm fuel is getting to the cylinders, fuel pressure test on the high and low ports are within specs.
Using the noid light and the static fuel injector test in evdiagnostic I can confirm all injectors appear to be operating normally, I watched each light blink on and off 30 times, no blips.
No faults appearing in evdiagnostic.

whalerbob

Seaman
Test output to ignition module from ECU
In conducting voltage supply tests, I placed the positive meter lead on the fuse for the "Ignition System", with the key on the voltage should be 1 volt less than the reading at the battery, and it is. While cranking, this voltage should be increase, but it doesn't
I attempted to test the voltage coming to the coil packs, the instruction said leave the primary coil wire connected, insert a test connecter (sewing pin for me) into the boot of the primary coil wire at the coil, with the meter, red to the test connecter, and black to engine block ground. When I crank the engine, I should get a minimum of 180 volts, my meter reading says -8.5 volts. I tried it on several primary coil connecters and I get the same result. I am either conducting this test wrong, or it's pointing to the problem. I think it's also important to note that it is/was an intermittent problem. Any thoughts?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
the 2002 -2006 FICHT _ETEC book doesn't mention much on the 180v your refer to ...unfortunately I have no access to a 20011 manual but if you found that info in a reliable book you may be on to something.

whalerbob

Seaman
Today I check if fuel was getting into the cylinders by following Crosbyman's advice and I can confirm fuel is getting to the cylinders, fuel pressure test on the high and low ports are within specs.
Using the noid light and the static fuel injector test in evdiagnostic I can confirm all injectors appear to be operating normally, I watched each light blink on and off 30 times, no blips.
No faults appearing in evdiagnostic.
I forgot to add that I inserted paper into the cylinders while cranking to confirm fuel is being sprayed in the cylinder.

whalerbob

Seaman

whalerbob

Seaman
I'm going through the tests again and I discovered the Power Relay connector has signs of melting. The wires seem intact, the power relay doesn't appear to have any signs of heat damage, and the power relay test was good, it just looks like the connector housing is melting. I grabbed my old harness to see if I could swap out the connector and that one was also in the same condition. I'm going to cut the wires at the clip, put new clips with plastic sheathing on them and attach them to the relay without the housing. Finding those big clips is not so easy.