1997 Bombadier Celebrity 200 Deck, Stringer and Transom Replacement

Chris51280

Ensign
I did one layer on the bottom and one on top with csm and then a 6oz. It is recommended to have 8oz total as a min. Also depending on what size wood you are using. I used 5/8 bcx. If you have webbing of bulkheads and stringers at 16-20 inches you could get by with 1/2". Looking at weight adder between 1/2 and 5/8 per sheet is not very much. I think it may be 10#

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I have no clue what Chris is saying but I would def. Glass over the csm.
He's gotten too smart for me. :eek:

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the deck peanut buttered, screwed and 5200ed to the stringers. Aft section has the deck hull gap peanut buttered and foamed.

Attachments

• photo313876.jpg
    photo313876.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo313877.jpg
    photo313877.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo313878.jpg
    photo313878.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Remember CSM is basically a Binder for the Poly Resin. If offers very little in strength. I'd highly recommend finishing the top of your deck with a layer of 6oz fabric. Especially if you're going to paint it. If you're going to GelCoat it then 2 layers of CSM along with the gelcoat would probably be OK but even then I'd probably use some fabric

Chris51280

Ensign
I have no clue what Chris is saying but I would def. Glass over the csm.
He's gotten too smart for me. :eek:

No way Kevin. :rolleyes:
you need to learn some poly stuff. I don't have enough money for the fancy epoxy. But again, I'm not building for eternity either. lol.:lol:

I did do the csm with 6oz. If you do it together, it comes out smoother and not as wavy. Plus you need less resin and is a stronger bond. The 6oz hardly uses any. You can almost use the resin from,the csm when you lay it on top. I could not do all like this since the span of 60" was too much for me to reach.

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need to order a little more CSM and resin to finish the deck. I have the rolls of 1708 - 6” and 12” to tied the deck into the hull. This gives me 3 or more options:

Option 1: Go ahead and tie the deck in with both the 6” and 12” 1708 then cover with two layers of CSM and one 6oz when the mat arrives.

Option 2: tie the deck in with the 6” while i wait on the rest of the mat. The order would then be 6” 1708 tie in, CSM coverage, 12” 1708 tie in, CSM coverage, 6oz S final coverage, Gelcoat.

Option 3: wait until all comes in. Cover with CSM, tie in with 6”, cover with CSM, tie in with 12. Cover with 6oz

Other options? Which is best?

too much time and effort up to this point, not to finish it correctly. Thanks to all.

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gas tank in. All decking PBed, 5200ed and screwed. Deck Hull gap PBed. Short about 2 cubic feet of foam. Almost ready to glass the deck. When I build the bench seat box, can you simply cover it in 6oz or do you need to CSM it as well?

Chris51280

Ensign
depend how strong you want it. I rely on the wood glue. the csm is just there for the gelcoat. i then faired it to smooth it out

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Slow! Life gets in the way. Hope to finish the foam and glass the deck by the end of the weekend. Would so be blessed if i could finish by the 4th... So be blessed!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Gas tank in. All decking PBed, 5200ed and screwed. Deck Hull gap PBed. Short about 2 cubic feet of foam. Almost ready to glass the deck. When I build the bench seat box, can you simply cover it in 6oz or do you need to CSM it as well?

Any time you use Fabric you MUST use CSM unless the fabric already has CSM stitched to it...i.e. 1708 biax

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOG - Thanks. Got some sanding done today. Hope to finish the foam and deck prep tomorrow. Football event friday. Hope to glass the deck Sat and Sun.

Attachments

• photo314586.jpg
    photo314586.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo314587.jpg
    photo314587.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo314588.jpg
    photo314588.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

FBCoach

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glass Day! I’ve seen on here people tab with 1708 first then lay the glass. I’ve seen them lay the CSM then double tab with 1708. I’ve seen them do one layer of CSM, Tab, second layer of CSM second tab then roving.

I’m planning two layers of CSM and a layer of 6oz. Have 6” 1708 and 12” 1708 to double tab.

Suggestions on the order. I will begin sanding, cleaning and final prepping now. Hoping for great advice when i check after this! Thanks to all. 😃🤞🏽

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Seems to be many ways and order of doing the deck. I tabbed with 1708 and then covered the entire deck with 1708 and then covered with CSM. I think if finishing the deck with gel coat if you end with cloth as opposed to CSM you'll be able to see the texture of it. The CSM will make a more smooth finish. Or that was my reasoning anyway. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup all the above options work. The end play is that whichever way you go will have to fair the joints out if you want to make the humpty bump go away where they sit on top of each other.
I may be wrong but usually the claoth last makes a smoother surface.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No way Kevin. :rolleyes:
you need to learn some poly stuff. I don't have enough money for the fancy epoxy. But again, I'm not building for eternity either. lol.:lol:

I did do the csm with 6oz. If you do it together, it comes out smoother and not as wavy. Plus you need less resin and is a stronger bond. The 6oz hardly uses any. You can almost use the resin from,the csm when you lay it on top. I could not do all like this since the span of 60" was too much for me to reach.

Hey Chris,
All I meant was you are doing great and getting to know the products and applications.
On my show I need to make sure my boat will get me across the River STYX since I seem to spend so much time there.
fe27ddeac245c6ce159a9a6ab154ba27.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At the moment it may be....lol!
Wait till ya get the family on or a fish hooked. :}

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Back when Dinosaurs were running around I coached a little football. My biggest problem was they changed the rules!!! Couldn't pray on the field. Couldn't yell at the Players. Everyone should get an award at the end of the year. Everyone gets to play even if they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I decided it was time to move on.