1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

It's a brand of really nice exterior ply that they carry.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read part of the PDF that describes their product. They sell a lot of different products. I am not sure which one would be appropriate for marine application. The one I saw had a light core material with a weatherproof skin on both side. I am not sure what they charge per sheet? If there is not a retailer where you live, then there is also shipping charges. My guess is that this product is as expensive as Coosa board or similar?

emoney

Commander

There's more of us watching than you think! You're on the homestretch now.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ENGINE COVER SUPPORT - Thanks for watching e-money. I have more Pictures that I will post soon. I ran into some snags that are costing more time. I was going to reuse the bottom of my engine support, but I found out it is dry rotted. It looked OK (didn't see the black fungus) but it was very dry and cracked. I have made a new one out of some left over Nida Core.

INTERIOR PANNEL SUPPORT - I also had to remake the supports that the inside left and right interior pannels sit on. I didn't have enough Nida Core, so I had to use 1/4 inch Luan. I would have like to use a composite material but didn't want to fork out the $70 bucks for a sheet of Nida Core. I glassed both side of the supports and glassed them into the hull. They are supper strong for only being 1/4 inch and I can stand on them no problem. Does any know if glassing these into the hull with cause a problem?

BILDGE VENTS - I didn't like the styling of the old rectangular supports, so I ordered these cool 3 inch round stainless steel ones. I have glassed over the old rectangular cut outs and will cut a 3 inch hole for the new ones once they come in. It seems like the newer boats use the round bildge vent, so maybe this will modernize the boat?

PAINT AND PRIMER - I am working with a rep from Alexseal paint company. He is the sales support rep and has been awsome. I am working on putting together a spray gun(pressure pot set up) to spray the Alexseal high build primer and Top coat.

Pictures on the way

Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a great link on the health consequences of fiberglass. I have been diligent about wearing a paper respirator, but think I am still inhaling fiberglass dust. I have been coughing up a lot of mucus today. I am a paramedic so I have some medical background and understanding of the respiratory anatomy/physiology. This article basically states that fiberglass will be expelled from your lungs unlike asbestos.

http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen Industry/Is Fiberglass a Health Hazard.htm

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I found a great link on the health consequences of fiberglass. I have been diligent about wearing a paper respirator, but think I am still inhaling fiberglass dust. I have been coughing up a lot of mucus today. I am a paramedic so I have some medical background and understanding of the respiratory anatomy/physiology. This article basically states that fiberglass will be expelled from your lungs unlike asbestos.

http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen Industry/Is Fiberglass a Health Hazard.htm

NO, NO, NO You should know better. You should be wearing one of these...

"The primary hazard associated with fiberglass is the chemicals used during the fabrication or lay up process. Styrene monomer, or raw resin, is catalyzed with an organic peroxide; the most common is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. Cobalt compounds, often used as accelerators, can result in allergic dermatitis or asthma like conditions. Acetone is a central nervous system depressant used for clean up of tools, utensils, and spray equipment. The important thing to remember about these chemicals is that they are health hazards when inhaled; proper respiratory equipment must be worn and adequate ventilation provided."

Or even Better one of these

6ygLTM72MnxtzWK7RqkIdlyQaL5tIH8qniFQ-La59ClLhscwbO-vGmLGVc9ae6RBCxqHWIghKVk1s0e02Q_o_Rs3_jj2-F9fsj9preuXD16AdGulDxJ1c5bkHwgVkevx9mU91sNEa7hsj3hi6MmBmZ8DlRig8ZXPuhmzK321cuTFy6QQ1cSk-ZMSHRu971tknYMUsb4MzkQPdbeSMDOk-EMqSxM

You only GET on pair of lungs!!! You should ALWAYS protect them at ALL Costs!!!!;)

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks woodonglass. I have one of those, but it is such a PIA to wear. I thought I would be fine with the N95. I have always opted for the paper mask (3M N95) when just trying to stop particles and not chemicals. I will give the other one a try.

I can't wait to be done with this whole fiberglass part. I feel better today. Did you catch how the article did say that fiberglass gets coughed out relitively quickly? I think I would much prefer not getting anything my alveoli in the first place. These are the sacs that exchange CO2 for O2 in your lungs and if they get damaged you are F****. You are right I am stepping up my mast. Thanks for the concern.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here some PICs of about one days work. Like I keep mentioning, I have a pretty busy life with work, kids and other things that come up. I feel like this thing keeps draging on. Every day I find more things that need to be redone. I am hoping in the end I will be glad I fixed everything now. It does get discouraging from time to time and I feel like I am never going to finish. I just want this to be done.

Enough of my whining, here are the PICS

chrome bildge vent.jpgsupport for engine cover remade with Nida Core.jpgbildge vent hole filled.jpgrepair to cracks on port cap.jpg

BILDGE VENT- This is not done. I mixed up some epoxy and added some strands from a piece of CSM I pulled a part. I thickened it a little with cabosil. The whole thing made a nice paste that I was able to spread over the original hole. I had card board wrapped in cling wrap as a backing. The backing peeled right off. I'll grind the cured paste and then add a couple of layers of 1700 biax.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was at work, so I did some extensive research on mask during my down time. I did buy a filter for the style mask you show above from fiberglass services. The filters for the mask are rated R95. The 3M disposable (approx $1.00 ea.) are rated as N95. They both stop particlates down to .3 microns. The only difference is that the R95 is oil resistent and the N95 is not. Since I am not working in an oil envirnment it doesn't matter. They both do the same job. The diamenter of the smallest fillament in fiberglass is .00015 inches or 3.8 Microns. This is way bigger then the .3 microns, so not a problem for either mask. The link that I posted above states that fiberglass can not fracture length wise, so the diameter of the dust will always be larger then 3.8 microns. In fact the article states that particles have to be smaller then 3.5 microns to get trapped in your lungs. From what I researched the fitting of the mask is probably a bigger concern. At my work we have to get fit tested with the N95 masks. We don the mask, they place a hood over our head and spray a mist of a non toxic oderous gas. If you smell it, they try a different size. If you don't, then you have a good fit and you simply note what size you where for future reference. If you are not trying to stop VOC, and are just worried about fiberglass dust, I don't see the advantage of the R95 mask. If you can find anything to the contrary please let me know.

Thanks

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 inch bildge vent after fairing compound.jpgvent collector box.jpgatwood louvered boat vent.jpgpowered vent.jpgEmoney,

Thanks for the Private message about the vent. I have the old vents in a box up in the attic and it's just way too hot to go up there right now. I found PICS of what I had on the internet. Basically I had two rectangular style vents measuring approx 3 x 10 inches (just an approximation). On the starboard side there was a plastic piece that I guess is called a "Collector box". The collector box is on the inside of the hull only on the starboard side and connected to the outside cosmetic lourvered vent. The collector box has two attachments for the dryer vent style hoses. Both of them were approximatly 3-4 feet long and went towards the bildge. One of them connected to an inline 3 inch powered fan device (it's basically a small fan in a 3 inch PVC tube). On the port side there is no collector box of vent hoses.

My plan was to have the powered blower vent conected on the starboard side and have a dryer vent hose connected to the port side. So when I power on the bildge vent it will suck air from the bildge out the starboard side. Hopefully enought vacuum will be created in the bildge to pull in fresh air from the port side vent? What do you think? Let me know if you need more info?

emoney

Commander

Yes, those round vents are absolutely fine and the vent hose will even help to direct the fumes. That's exactly what's used in current construction (although you'll still see the rectangular from time to time) and will probably vent better than the original design. Practically any vent will dissipate gas fumes, but the better focused it is, the less chance of hazard. Don't forget to give your vents a few seconds to do their job before you start your engine and you'll be a-ok. Lots of boats have a hot lead into the ignition that throws a switch if the blowers aren't engaged prior to starting. That's not a bad idea and not too hard to accomplish either. Of course, manufacturer's are actually more concerned with litigation than they are the actual end-user, but it should tell you how someone, somewhere feels like these gases pose enough of a threat to merit attention. Keep up the good work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I was at work, so I did some extensive research on mask during my down time. I did buy a filter for the style mask you show above from fiberglass services. The filters for the mask are rated R95. The 3M disposable (approx $1.00 ea.) are rated as N95. They both stop particlates down to .3 microns. The only difference is that the R95 is oil resistent and the N95 is not. Since I am not working in an oil envirnment it doesn't matter. They both do the same job. The diamenter of the smallest fillament in fiberglass is .00015 inches or 3.8 Microns. This is way bigger then the .3 microns, so not a problem for either mask. The link that I posted above states that fiberglass can not fracture length wise, so the diameter of the dust will always be larger then 3.8 microns. In fact the article states that particles have to be smaller then 3.5 microns to get trapped in your lungs. From what I researched the fitting of the mask is probably a bigger concern. At my work we have to get fit tested with the N95 masks. We don the mask, they place a hood over our head and spray a mist of a non toxic oderous gas. If you smell it, they try a different size. If you don't, then you have a good fit and you simply note what size you where for future reference. If you are not trying to stop VOC, and are just worried about fiberglass dust, I don't see the advantage of the R95 mask. If you can find anything to the contrary please let me know.

Thanks

It's not so much the filter as it is the SEAL on your FACE. If your mask seals you face well, then you are correct. If NOT then Face Leakage is what will create the problem.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am getting close to the primer phase. I am waiting for my gun to be shipped to me. I am also looking at an air compressor from ebay. The gun with the pressure pot takes 14 CFM and that's a lot more then my neighbors portable 3 hp harbor freight job. The paint and primer is also going to cost me about $500.00. I am trying to rationalize the expense by telling myself that I will use both of them on future projects. The Alexseal is expensive, but not that much more the any of the other two part polyurethane paints. Eveything is just really expensive now days. I could go with Gel Coat for less, but many people don't recommend going over epoxy with PE gel coat. Gel coat also requires a lot of color sanding and buffing. I am hoping to not have to buff out the Alexseal.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The paint and primer phase should be coming up soon if anyone is interested? I almost have the interior of the boat ready for paint. I'll post some photos if anyone is interested?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sure, why wouldn't we be!

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The paint and primer phase should be coming up soon if anyone is interested? I almost have the interior of the boat ready for paint. I'll post some photos if anyone is interested?

Bring it on Kpiazzisi!

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am also following this thread with much interest!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2k primmer.jpgpolyester urethan test area.jpgHere are a couple photos. The black area is just a test area. It is all going to get sanded off. It was sprayed at really high humidity over sanded gel coat (no primer). I just did it for practice. The interior of the boat was sprayed with a two part epoxy primer, blocked out and then sprayed again with a urethan 2K primer. One more coat of primer then I should be good to go on painting the interior.

I thought about just non skidding the whole interior of the boat. It is such a small area to worry about tapping off smaller sections. I might just blast the whole thing with non skid. Any thoughts on this?

Friscoboater

Captain

Very nice. Please keep posting updates.