1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just incase anyone is following this.

Re: Just incase anyone is following this.

Nice!! You didn't even know if you were gonna keep this thing and now you're building it to last forever! :D

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where is the hull leaking from PICs attached

Wow, I didn't think anyone was following this anymore. Slowly but surely I am making progress.

Kiwifisher

Seaman

Wow, I didn't think anyone was following this anymore. Slowly but surely I am making progress.

Nah, we're following your progress, so keep on updating. You're doing a great job and you know that it's going to last many years. Can't see from your last pic if you have any drainage system in place yet to drain any water to the bilge. Whatever you do, don't forget that.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. I am glad I haven't lost eveybody. I kind of jumped ship and went to another forum more custom tailored to this kind of stuff. I have learned sooo much. Stuff like epoxy resin, biax, roving, bubble roller, techniques...etc. Here are some pics of what I have done. I think I am finally at a point to where I can fiberglass half way decent.

Thanks for following this thread.

Attachments

• bulkhead3.jpg
    bulkhead3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bulkheads 2.jpg
    bulkheads 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bulkheads epoxied in.jpg
    bulkheads epoxied in.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stringers with dimensions.jpg
    stringers with dimensions.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
  • all stringers set into place.jpg
    all stringers set into place.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is it just me, or is there NO drainage allowance in those stringers and cross members???

I'm just sayin...:D

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not just you. I still have to put in the drainage holes. That should be a very easy task. The keel also has to go back into place. The keel in the bow of the boat from the most fore bulkhead to the tip of the bow has some significant height to it. The rest of the keels I removed were only a couple of inches tall. I believe this was because of the obstructions such as the ski locker, fuel tank and bildge. In these sections the keel is only goes from the bottom of the hull to the top of the ski locker floor. The same is true for the gas tank. Once I get the keel into place I will worry about the drainage.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am finding that using composite material is expensive, less forgiving (as far as being structural if done incorectly), not as weight saving as one might think, and probably not necessary. I now think that marine grade plywood properly prepaired with epoxy/fiberglass will last a long time, save time and money.

I just want to be honest and not have other go down the path that I did without being well informed. I think that when many people remove the rotted wood (not properly sealed by boat manufactures) the natural but incorect conclusion to make is that replacement wood will only rot out again (a wrong assumption if preparred right with epoxy).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the water does not get in, the wood will not rot. You could use Any wood as long as it was structurally sound and it would not rot if the resin and glass kept the water out.

NOTE: Make sure when you drill your drainage holes you take the same care with them as you did with your stringers. You did and excellent job with your glassing.:p

I'm just sayin...:D

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why did the manufacturer make the first bulkhead hollow or ring shaped.

I am trying to figure out why the most fore bulkhead is a ring and not just a solid bulkhead like the rest. The bulkhead I made for this section is one solid piece. Is there a reason the OEM was a ring?

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    bulkhead.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

So that you can put skis in there.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skies....what are those? I grew up skiing, but seems like now days it's all about the wake board. I think I leave this a solid bulkhead for the added strength.

I found a great deal on Coosa Bluewater. I can get 4 x 8 x 1/2 bluewater 20 lb density for around $150.00 from a somewhat local distributer. I have to make a decision on my deck between Nida-Core, Coosa or Plywood. Since I have gone this far with all composite, I am thinking I may as well finish the job with all composites. I'll keep you posted.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
latest progress

latest progress

I have completed the stringers for the most part. I glued 2 inch wide Coosa board on top of all stringers and bulkheads. The strips on top of the bulkheads will support the floor. The seams on the floor will fall over the tops of the bulkheads. So far I have the 3/4 of one side of the floor fiberglassed. I fiberglassed the Nida panels with two layers of 12oz biax (0,90) and epoxy. Here are some PICS of my latest progress.

1) I do have a question about the gas tank. Regal made it a very tight fit. They left enough spacing for a thin piece of neoprene around the tank. Because I joined the corners (where the bulkhead and stringers meet) with a large fillet (peanut butter) the tank has even a tighter fit. There is not enough spacing to get neoprene back in there. I actually have to tap on the tank to get it into place. The function of the neoprene is to eliminate chaffing which can eventually rub a hole into the tank. I have thought about squeezing 3M 5200 in the small crack once the tank is in place. Would this work?

Attachments

• almost ready for floor.jpg
    almost ready for floor.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • floor 2.jpg
    floor 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Need Help!

I am ready to glue in the floor. I have 4 sections that basically go from bulkhead to bulkhead. The tops of my bulkhead/stringers probably are not totally perfect. If there is a section where one stringer is 1/8 -1/4 higher or lower, how noticable will that be on a boat floor? Does a boat floor have to be perfectly flat? Is there a self leveling technique to get the floor perfectly level?

How do I go from my laminated Nida-Core epoxy panel floors to a finished aesthetic appealing floor? I have researched LPU paints, but they are so expensive. I gallon of Awlgrip is almost $300.00. This does not even include the reducers and primers needed. I have watched youtube clips of people applying the material looks like the same viscosity of water. Basically you pay $300.00 for paint that is as thin as water and half of that will evaporate into the air when it dries. The prep work has to be perfect because it's too thin to cover up any imperfection. Interlux perfection is only perfection if you spend hours and hours of fairing and prep and lot's of $ on primer.

I can get 5 Gallons of gelcoat on the other hand for $150.00. It does not roll on smooth or flaten out like paint, but that's why they make sanders and rubbing compounds. On a flat surface like the boat floor, I think it would flatten out somewhat. I know gelcoat does not stick to epoxy, but was thinking I could make a floor skin out of Polyester and matt and then glue that down to the floor. What are your thoughts?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

r.

I can get 5 Gallons of gelcoat on the other hand for $150.00. It does not roll on smooth or flaten out like paint, but that's why they make sanders and rubbing compounds. On a flat surface like the boat floor, I think it would flatten out somewhat. I know gelcoat does not stick to epoxy, but was thinking I could make a floor skin out of Polyester and matt and then glue that down to the floor. What are your thoughts?

uh.....first of all.......150 bux for 5 gals of gellcoat is really cheap......but of no use to you.

you started with epoxy......all of the gellcoat/poly fixes are out....gone. forget it.

you are only stuck with the fixes that will bond to epoxy.

however....a carpet works well for hiding stuff.

if i read right....you bought a laser level. that will help you with your deck height.
the 1/4 inch differences can be ground flat on your bulkheads......set your laser...and grind everything above the red line

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In another forum a guy that races and builds one of the fastest race boats, told me it is possible to put Polyester Gelcoat over an epoxy laminate if done correctly. Westsystems also released an article saying that it is also possible. I'll provide a link to the article below. The Gelcoat I can get for that price is by Cook Composite sold through Composites One in Lakeland Florida. They deal in large bulk and primarily sell to retailers, but will also sell to the public. There is also another product called Duratec recomended by the same guy on the other forum. Apparently this Duratec primary can act as a transition layer sticking to the epoxy on one side and accepting the Gelcoat on the other.

As far as grinding the bulkheads, I did not want to grind off my Coosa gluing strips that are only 1/2 inch thick. I guess taking them down to 1/4 inches in some places would be OK?

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/polyester-over-epoxy/

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol......
cook comp and comp one i have accounts with and i cant get that price......(darn shipping to canada)

cook composites makes very good gellcoat and resins and they are sold thru comp one......i highly suggest to anyone these resins and gellcoat.
the people at cook and comp one are very helpful as well.

the only way the mismatch in the deck height will be a factor is over a span of four feet.

follow me with this.......you will lay your decking down in 4x6 ish sheets width wise.......so a mismatch of 1/4 inch from bow to stern will not be a problem.

if the mismatch is center to beam....this could be used in your favor......by crowning the top or dipping the center for a bilge drain.

if you dont want to grind......shim !

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

What opps saiid

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops!

Do you know what Gelcoat product from Cook Composites you used? It looks like there are a couple of different oned according to Cook's website. The Polycor one says that it is "ready for spray". What does this mean? I am assuming that this means it's it can be sprayed from a Comercial type Gel Coat sprayer, not a sprayer that someone could buy at a homedepot? Dynatec makes an additive that added at a 1 to 1 ratio that thins out the viscosity enough to where it can be sprayed through a conventional spary gun. How are you using this product and what type of application process are you using?

943 Series (DS-43) POLYCOR? ISO/NPG Gel Coat
943-W-016 (DS-43-A) POLYCOR? High Performance White ISO/NPG Gel Coat
951 Series (DS-51) ARMORCOTE? Superior Weathering Resistant Gel Coat
953 Series (DS-53) ArmorFlex? High Gloss BUFFBACK? High Performance Flexible Gel Coat
961 Series (DS-61) ARMORCOTE? MC MACT Compliant Superior Weather Resistant Gel Coat

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called and spoke to Cook Composite rep today. They recomend the Polycore 944woo5 Pure white. They said that they have an additive for thinning the Gelcoat 970 XJ037. I'll let you know how this turns out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you don't mind....I took the liberty of renaming your thread. You're doing such a great job and using materials we're all interested in learning about so I didn't want it to get ignored by people thinking it was just about an old leaky boat!