1996 Century Boats 1800 Center Console Refit and Modernization

zool

Captain
Ok soooooo
Which one?
I'm under contract with a sportfish,
I found a fair deal on an 89 Ocean Yachts 35 Conv. It passed the structural survey a few weeks ago, waiting for them to launch it for sea trial. It's way out on Long Island NY, so running back and forth sucks. I'm buying it regardless of what repairs are needed, but I want to run it anyway 1st.

zool

Captain
I installed the AC port for the charger yesterday. I'm not sure what side Is optimal for the slip I rented, but I put it on the starboard side, The console fiberglass is only 1/4 inch, so I had to epoxy in a backer board, inside the console, to screw in the charger. I ended up using the bottom screws for the radio cutout, to secure the backer plate, while it cured

20230602_124826_resized.jpg

20230602_124752_resized.jpg

zool

Captain
So I'm looking to lunch the CC by the end of the month at latest. Making a short list of absolute things needed to be done.
1) finish installing battery charging system
2) remove, clean or replace sending unit for fuel tank I need my gauge working.
3) remove and test or replace washdown/bait well pump.
4) Rebuilt trim cylinders
5) Decals and clear on the cowling.

I'm gonna have to wait on removing the front rail, and installing a trolling motor on the bow. The two additional batteries needed wont fit under the console, unless I remove the tackle center on the side of the console, which I like having for slide out plano boxes, but spot lock will be more useful I imagine. I'll look into that this fall if fundage is available.

I washed her this weekend
1685974745635.jpeg

zool

Captain
I got the battery charger all installed and working. I have it plugged into a barn outlet, and it's doing it's thing, so that's all good.

I removed the sending unit from the tank, and it appears the wiper isn't moving along the conductivity points as you raise and lower the arm, so I just ordered a new one, will be here next week.

Today I have to go down south and change the wires and plugs on both the 454's in the Sea Ray, and remove the shrink wrap. Hopefully the Marina will launch that next week, so I have a place to sleep down the shore, while dealing with everything to get the new boat sea worthy and ready for transport. At the rate they are going out on Long Island, I may not get to use it this year, if It needs anything major.

zool

Captain
So for once in my life, the boat gods shined upon me. I started to rebuild the trim cylinders, got the parts kit and special tools together to start disassembling, but decided to check the motor operation again. All of a sudden, it started working again. I exercised it up and down a few times, and it got quicker and stronger. I don't know why, maybe it had air in it when I changed the fluid, or maybe since I have freshly charged batteries now, it broke itself free. Either way, I don't fix what isnt broken so the rebuild kit went on the shelf for now, and another thing off the list. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow once in awhile things do oddly go right! Good for you.
The Frog sends Best wishes too,
1686348223527.png

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Zool, The Ocean is a beautiful boat good luck with her. At our new marina this year my SR Dancer is surrounded by Sedan Bridges. What are your plans for your SR? Want to sell me your interior. LOL.

zool

Captain
Zool, The Ocean is a beautiful boat good luck with her. At our new marina this year my SR Dancer is surrounded by Sedan Bridges. What are your plans for your SR? Want to sell me your interior. LOL.
Thanks, Actually, I'm in the process of getting the dancer ready for launch in a few weeks. The marina where the ocean is is all backed up and hasnt even contacted me about the sea trial, so it looks like a long road to me getting possession.

The Ocean was never fished, so I have a lot of rigging to do to it, will probably bring her back and put it on the hard for a while.

I'm gonna eventually sell the Dancer, but the admiral wont let me until she has a replacement :)

zool

Captain
I got the list all finished, except for the live well. I need a new switching mechanism, so essentially a new live well kit. I'll get to that later or in the fall. I do have the washdown hooked up tho.

I put the decals on, and am towing it down Thursday, the marina is gonna do a once over on the engine, to readjust the carbs that the Yamaha tech on the lake kinda screwed up, they cant seem to deal with old 2 strokes.

1687279885305.jpeg

1687279907713.jpeg

zool

Captain
So I'm still waiting for the shop to look at the carbs on the yamaha, supposedly, they will get to it mid week, we'll see, it's just the way it is at marina post covid boat boom.

It doesnt really matter right now, I burnt out a sea water impeller on the port engine of the Sea Ray. They we're overdue for change anyway, so I installed two rebuilt pumps at the gas dock of the launch marina. The starboard side went without a hitch, because the impeller was still intact on that engine. The port side shattered, so i have to chase down one missing fin in the raw cooling lines. I ran out of time, so made the 5 mile run out to the Island at a slow cruise, that engine was a little warm (185 deg) but didn't overheat, just raw water steam. I'm gonna back flush from the thermostat back to the trans cooler next week to see if i can find the missing fin.

View attachment 20230718_112250_19446020606706 (1).mp4

zool

Captain
So back in July, I realized the mechanic where I keep the Century don't want to work on 2 strokes anymore, So I tweaked it myself back then, It turns out the Yamaha guy at the lake set the idle in the shop, after the timing advance was re-set. After I played with it for a while, while under exhaust load, it's been running great all season. I've had it out every weekend.

Now that fluke season is pretty much done, I'm gonna keep it in for fall stripers, then bring it home for more upgrades.

I'm going to pull the bow rail, add rod holders where the rail braces are, and put a spot lock motor on the bow.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So back in July, I realized the mechanic where I keep the Century don't want to work on 2 strokes anymore, So I tweaked it myself back then, It turns out the Yamaha guy at the lake set the idle in the shop, after the timing advance was re-set. After I played with it for a while, while under exhaust load, it's been running great all season. I've had it out every weekend.

Now that fluke season is pretty much done, I'm gonna keep it in for fall stripers, then bring it home for more upgrades.

I'm going to pull the bow rail, add rod holders where
the rail braces are, and put a spot lock motor on the bow.
I been looking at them spot locks for the one I'm building atm, what one have you decided on?

zool

Captain
I been looking at them spot locks for the one I'm building atm, what one have you decided on?
I'm leaning toward the MK Terrova 24v 54" or 60". The bow sits low in the water, like 24", so I don't need a real long leg, and I can't fit too many more batteries.