1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took it out again this evening and the admiral was loving it. I enjoyed watching her relax finally after this 7 month adventure, myself included :). Found out the water is getting in through the hose to the live well, the foam under it is dry rotted so it appears to be leaking around the vertical bulkhead. Nothing a little bit of 3M 5200 can't solve. Also, I'd change my post to Splashed but I can't edit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0266.jpg Views:	1 Size:	485.8 KB ID:	10585252Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0267.jpg Views:	1 Size:	551.6 KB ID:	10585253

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Send a message to one of the mods. They should be able to help you change the subject to reflect you've SPLASHED!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great job, and seven months for a resto is hard to do! Enjoy your summer!

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks BC, learned a ton from yours that's for sure. We took a lot of that knowledge and used it on this resto (can't say how well the application was though LOL)

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, we have officially ran into a (possibly major) problem. I was able to find out where the water was getting in, just an above water level hole that the fish finder cable runs through. I 3M 5200'd that to death so I doubt water will ever intrude again. We aborted the launch yesterday after driving down to the ramp and I noticed a small line of "water" running out of the bilge, it was gas. At the pump I filled it up and accidentally had about 2 cups worth of fuel come out of the vent hole. Today after sealing up the fish finder hole, I opened up the ball valve to the pvc that runs below the fuel tank, and there was probably another 2 cups of fuel that started draining. After checking the back inspection hatch, it appeared there was slightly dried fuel right around the top of the fuel tank where the hose runs to the motor. I have a plastic tank, any thoughts?

tpenfield

Staff member
How well did you inspect the tank during the resto? Are all of the fillings and hoses good?
anything about the installation that would case a puncture?

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
tpenfield all hoses were on secure as tight as possible with double hose clamps, and after cleaning the fuel tank it only had a couple of scratches from where we kept test fitting it. We then applied the rubber strips and it was a snug fit but not overly difficult to put in. The fuel sender was dry but it appeared that there was dried fuel around where the aft fuel hose fitting is. My assumption was that with the tank being that full and at an angle, coupled with a bad gasket could be the issue? In those areas the screws aren’t more than an inch, with there being 2 1/2-3” of deck to fuel tank clearance.

tpenfield

Staff member
Could be a bad gasket or leak at a fitting. You will want to find it and remedy the problem before you start the engine again.