1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
means re drill imho :) is the cap on and flush does it match old holes? as far as screwing it back on around rub rail?

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
We were able to pull it down and match the old holes Micky, but at the back of the boat each side of the transom is off by roughly 1/4”. Even when we were able to lift the front of the boat up and line the holes up in the back, the transom area seems to be the problem. Woodonglass the 3/8” is roughly what the difference is (vertically) from the transom bolt holes to the top cap holes, same thing with the motor well plugs. We tried everything today and couldn’t get it to lower that little bit. Should’ve seen the look on the faces us of 6 grown men staring at this dang boat lol.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
bp, from info i have the problem isn't the back its sides unless you cut transom in half it wouldn't grow, the sides can bow out if you banana'd the hull, or the length of the boat could grow if you concaved the hull, the easy way to see this is measure from bow to stern, for concave, for banana'd when you put the cap down you would have wide sides and short bow to stern
if neither of these exist i would check for obstructions . and 1/4 inch is nothing i had 1 cap had a half inch gap in rear of transom , however they were same year caps just made in different plants so i adjusted for 1/4 inch gap at bow and at stern and screwed it together and sealed it up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree. Sounds like the shape and size of the hull has changed. If you took BEFORE measurements, check them against what it is now. And again as stated, 1/4 inch is not a problem. It's fiberglass and any/all holes are easily repaired and moved.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
My parents spoke with me yesterday and had told me they would be willing to split the cost of getting the boat reattached at a restoration place nearby. I drove the boat to two separate ones today, and decided to leave it for the week (it'll be done by Friday) for the cap to be reattached. If all of that goes well, hopefully this weekend we can get the rub rail put back in and the motor reattached.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wish Micky, we talked for about an hour at the first shop before I got the second estimate and my wife and I just felt more comfortable having him doing it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear that. Maintaining the shape of the hull by bracing is paramount prior to removing the cap. Hopefully it doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's all good Baylinerchuck, can't have it all go as smoothly as expected or else I wouldn't have a reason to buy miller lite :) lol. When we first laid the cap on yesterday every hole lined up perfectly, it was just a little high on the transom. When I brought it by the shop today they told me it should be pretty easy for them to do (about half a day at the shop), sadly the labor cost there is 100$ an hour. They said it'll take about 8 hours but they'll also putty in the transom and put in the brass drain tubes.

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought that this might happen. It' much safer to replace 1 stringer at a time to help keep the form. Live and learn eh!! Going to be boating very soon!

tpenfield

Staff member
I am just wondering what the shop is going to be able to do that you weren't :noidea:

Could the problem be that the floor is a bit high at the stern, preventing the cap assembly from lowering as much as it needs to in the stern?

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was installed back to the previous deck height, and in those areas where we couldn't get the holes to line up the top cap wasn't even touching the floor yet. This part of the restoration was something I've always been nervous about since before we ever took the cap off and, with the offering of a little financial assistance, we all just wanted it to be done right and finished by the pros lol. Don't get me wrong, nothing about what I did with this project was perfect, but when I took it to the shop he was confident it was just a matter of experience not being able to get it back on.

Last edited: