1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry ACon977 I just saw this! Friday we ran into some motor issues... my friend driving it never planed and it over-reved while tubing. He slowed it down and it was still idling, but after talking about proper trimming etc. with him some more we went to start the motor and only the flywheel would engage. It's currently at the mechanic, so once we get it back I'll post some pics ACon977, it was very easy to cut and fit how you needed that's for sure. My wife wants to go back through and fill in a couple small spots, but we got it half priced on the Black Friday deal last year.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks bpounds1991 sorry to hear about the motor, but yea, just trying to plan ahead for everything so I dont spend as much time thinking when we should be doing.

we may go with Gator tread like someone on here recommended. Or we found some really discounted stuff, I'm assuming it's all the same (or close enough). Just wondering how you cut it, razor blade and a straight edge? Did you bevel the edges? Or just square cut?

ACon977

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Phew, felt like I dodged a bullet. No mechanical issues other than a clogged up carb which was cleaned, and spark plugs replaced for only 100$. The mechanic did notice though that something is draining the hell out of our battery, which I believe is our radio (wired to have power even if the key is off so we can float and hear the music). He recommended a Perko switch, which i'll be buying soon but for the time being I went ahead and bought a second deep cycle battery along with a battery tender. ACon977 I didn't forget about ya I'll get some pics tomorrow lol.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
ACon977 I swear I haven’t forgotten about you lol. Last weekend we took the boat out and I had every intention of taking pictures until I got sidetracked by more mechanical issues. The last half hour on the lake I looked down to see the trim possessed by the Holy Ghost, trying to raise the motor out of the water. Mashing down and holding on the trim switch would stop it but the ride back to the boat ramp was iffy. The trim switch at the handle had a short in it, and apparently that model isn’t made any more (considering it’s about 26 years old). His solution (I think) was to simply mount a smaller trim switch below the steering wheel, which he said he does in a lot of boats. I think it seems a bit more tedious to fiddle with the steering, throttle, and then another switch for the trim but we’ll see. It beats forking out 100$+ for parts and labor at the moment, and I just want to get as much out of the boat through the rest of summer.

ACon977

bpounds1991 No sweat! I'm still a bit away from that part of the assembly process so no worries. I'm struggling to find time to work on the boat.

Glad you are out on the water, even if it involved a little work to get it back to where it should be.