1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
We're off at work for the week, which means I'm on for work on the boat for the week lol. Fuel tank panel and ski locker panel were installed yesterday/today with all holes cut out (The 4" hatch hole is staggered but it's also hidden behind the boat bench so no biggie). I've cut the last 2 pieces to size, and just need to go grab a couple more non treated 2x4s to finish those up today. I ordered 200 feet of wire (100 red primary/100 black) to be here by Friday, and I'll be ordering the new speakers as well before Thursday. My dad is coming this weekend to redo all of that wiring, and I'm also planning on ordering new steering cables as well. Coming along quickly now! IMG_3073.JPG

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks DRS! Just finished glassing the last 2 pieces. I have 2 more small 4" cleats to add, then all of it will be going in and DONE. Peanut buttering the edges and between the boards to finish up is next, then I've got to drill the holes for the foam.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
FINISHED! Deck is all on and the peanut buttering has begun, hope to be done with that by the end of tomorrow.
IMG_3077.JPG

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got out this morning with the belt sander to do a little deck sanding. I also need to add one more cleat just forward of the fuel tank area, so I ended up not PBing all the inner seams yet. Wiped the areas down with acetone and tabbed one layer of 2215. There's two small spots that need tabbing under the hull cleats, but I hadn't quite decided how I wanted to redo those pieces. My dad is also coming on Sunday to help rewire the boat, install new deck lights, install the new stereo, and do the deck foaming.

IMG_3085.JPG

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Great progress on that boat. Following along with you on this project brings back memories of where I was a year ago. Looking good.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks BC, trying to get her splashed ASAP lol. Depending on how this next week goes we're shooting for the end of the month.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, I was hoping to get some thoughts on the amount of CSM to use for the deck. I’ve got a good bit of .75oz, and I haven’t even tapped into the 19oz roll I’ll be using to cover it. Do you guys think I should go with just 1 layer or 2 layers of the CSM? 19oz seems like overkill I know, but I received the roll for free so I figured why not lol.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
id go with that 22 stuff across floor , csm has no strength so some one big gets in boat it cracks now all your hard work is over , personally i do all my floors now in 5/8 or 3/4 with a layer or 2 depending of 1708 bias , funny thing, haven't heard one single crack when a 250-280 lb guy lands on floor from dock :)

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 2215 is just a huge resin soaker, and is so thick it's not the greatest to work with. I wanted to go back and edit that post but for some resin the edit option isn't on here anymore? I was going to cover the CSM with the 19oz glass, I just wasn't sure if I needed to go with .75 or 1.5oz CSM

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had an absolute awful day working with the foam yesterday. We heated the garage up to around 75 degrees, brought the foam from inside to sit in front of the heaters for another 20 minutes, preheated each batch with the heat gun, preheated the cavity I was pouring into with the heat gun, and STILL managed to burn through 10 cubic feet of foam. I'm completely mind blown at how this happened, whether it was making too small of pours or just having too much excess waste in the containers. Anyways, we also installed the new deck courtesy lights, speakers, stereo (which involved me having to jig out the existing radio cutout), and ran wiring for all of it. The last deck cleat was installed as well.

IMG_3093.JPGIMG_3092.JPGIMG_3091.JPGIMG_3090.JPG

oldrem

Commander
10 cubic feet doesn't sound like a whole lot of foam. Moving along nicely!

tpenfield

Staff member
I learned on my first rebuild to order 2x the foam that you think you will need. (measuring the volume of the spaces that you are filling also helps) Somehow the specified yields are too theoretical and not generally achieved, unless it is an 85 F degree day.

Also the challenge is to use the fewest containers as practical while trying to maintain a balance between container efficiency and the limited time you have to actually mix & pour (about 45 seconds)

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I should've just got 2 16lb kits from the beginning, I was worried about having too much at the time :facepalm: Luckily after the foam would harden I could pull it out in one piece from the containers to reuse, but I just bought another 10 since I know they'll be used lol.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i think i used about 1 fullkit but when did it it was 90 degrees and boat was a 17 ft wellcraft

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I didn't get anywhere near the yield expected, either. I had to warm up my boat very similar to what you did.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I’m pretty sure I bought 3 of the 16lb kits in the 4lb foam which would be 12cu ft. The 4lb foam seemed to expand pretty nicely. :noidea:

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Subbed to follow along. My project is certainly in the earlier stages but it is warming up in Colorado and I'm excited to try to pick up the pace. Seems like you have used a large wealth of knowledge from this site, hoping to get the same kind of following and help.

Cheers!