1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok So it is official the motor fell thru
So the hunt is on for a motor. I want a 225 250 not sure about 2 stroke or 4 opinions welcomed. Aslo ive owned 1 suzuki 140 1988 and 1 johnson 150 2001
was happy with both motors. But being is i sold everything motor related I can go any type of motor I want.
I would like some feedback on out board motors will be looking at early to mid 2000.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I guess it all depends on your budget,.....

I would try to go with a 250hp, Never talked to anyone that wished they went smaller,...

My preference is a 2 stroke,.....

By the mid 2000's Opti, E-Tec and V-Max are your options in 2 strokes and all are good if they have been well maintained,...

4 strokes are going to be heavier, The early Johnson 4 strokes had their power heads made by Suzuki if I remember correctly. I haven't heard many complaints from the 4 stroke crowd as to reliability,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I am willing to spend what I have to to get a good reliable used motor. I am not sure what hours life expectancy is. Also should I be looking at used or rebuilt?
Should I try to avoid salt water motors?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Salt water motors scare me,....Even if they are well maintained slat gets into everything, And rusted bolts suck,...

The only way I would but a rebuilt motor that size is if it were a factory rebuilt powerhead with paperwork to support it,....

Unless you are familiar with the shop that did the rebuild and trust their work,...

Just make sure you can get a compression test and a leakdown test down on whatever you decide to buy,..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Good to hear I thought I wanted to avoid salt water motors but was not sure if I was being a little picky.
I did know about compression cks but not leak down I will be asking for that also.
What is your knowledge about hydraulic jack plates?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I like a good jackplate,...Planing one on my boat when I get around to re-powering,..

I thought about going with a cheaper used saltwater motor but every marine mechanic I talk to says not to because of the potential for rust and corrosion damage
on the powerhead,....

From what I can gather it looks like most outboards in my part of the world average about 50 hours a year run time,

However I know of some motors with over 4000 hours on them, Tillers that are run all day backtrolling and those still seem to run great,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well I have decided to go with bobs jack plate not sure which one yet.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Is the Bob's self contained???

That is the one thing I know I'll have to have,...I don't think I have room for a pump or hoses on my rig,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
He sells both. I think I read the warranty is better on the pump that is mounted on boat but that is not confirmed

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Minch,
Are you into motors that you can work on or the new hiteck motors that you need a rocket scientist for? Just wondering. I picked up an old VRO 225 V6 Johnson. has it's issues but can't wait to rebuild it.
rack.JPG

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
KC i'm thinking 00 or newer 2 stroke fuel injected 225 to 300 hp. I sold motor and rigging to my last motor so i am not restricted to any manufacturer. I have owned suzucki and johnson both seemed like good motors

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
And Bob has Holiday special ... ;)
How does this unit cost wise compare to the Porta Brackets I wonder ....

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
A 300 Merc XS would look really cool on there,............

I see lot's of 225 and 250's for sale on the web,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Teamster where you seeing all these motors I must not know what I am doing I can only find saltwater ones

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Craigslist, Lot's of them in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia,....

BassBoatCentral has a for sale board, And Scream and Fly does as well,...Although the scream and fly guys are more go fast,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
There are some "salt water series" motors that never went to salt water,..