1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

dowtom

Seaman
Re: 1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

I believe that would be the wise choice;). By the way, welcome to the "470 Club":rolleyes:. Lots of guys here to help you get that old gal going. When you get it running, couple of things to do: a compression check, and a cooling system pressure check. You can borrow the tools for free from Autozone. Those two tests will give you a good idea of the overall health of your engine. Lots of guys don't care for that engine but my "87" ran sweet all weekend and was easy on the gas. Have fun.

Many thanks. Yeah I prefer to do it right once, not a few times. Thank you for the welcoming, i do appreciate it. I will be sure to do that one most definably Luckily I was also given a spare 470 with the boat also. I dont mind putting a few thousand into the boat ill still be left with a reliable boat for cheap ish. Glad to hear that. My wife and I just want a boat that will purr and give some good tubing fun hopefully, but if not we're happy with a cruiser on the Chesapeake Bay.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

dowtom

Seaman

Now you're gettin' it... :D...

This starter motor -> http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5814-new-starter-mercruiser-inboard-stern-drive-crusader.aspx
I can't find the right direct replacement for the solenoid, but the Merc number is -65057T1.

Good luck....

Chris.......

Haha thanks, I can use the solenoid from above with your starter than. Im currently on vacation but when i get back i got a side job check burning a hole, I know im gonna make one salesman a very happy man.. Any good recommendations on a starting battery, and should i get a deep charge battery too? Or should i be okay, only thing ill be running is a simple headunit with 2 6.5 speakers, a vhf and a depth finder.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I can use the solenoid from above with your starter than. Im currently on vacation but when i get back i got a side job check burning a hole, I know im gonna make one salesman a very happy man.. Any good recommendations on a starting battery, and should i get a deep charge battery too? Or should i be okay, only thing ill be running is a simple headunit with 2 6.5 speakers, a vhf and a depth finder.

The only difference between the solenoids is that one feeds 12v to the coil during starting and the other does not. If you have a purple/yellow wire going from one small terminal of the solenoid to the coil you have the #65057T1 which is correct for your engine (see diagram). Either will work to activate the starter solenoid (with the other the coil gets 12V from the starter terminal). Starting battery, the biggest marine that will fit. Second battery IMHO unless you have a high drain like a trolling motor or outrageous stereo you do not need a deep cycle, a second starting battery will do, with a battery switch, and hard wire your accessories to the second battery. You might want to ask that question on the electrical forum. Good luck.

dowtom

Seaman

Well today i was able to make some progress my db electric new style starter arrives. Fortunatly the boat had the correct solenoid slave already installed. Well i began by taking every wire off to makw sure all the wirea are in the right spot. Found one problem. Previous owner had a black i assume ground hooked up to the slave controll wire section. I looked at the wire digram you all provided me got the solenoid fixed up. Installed the starter but found that the orange wire thqt goes from voltage regulator to starter was diaaconnected on both ends i believe. One is a small eye and one is a large. Which one is connected to the starter solenoid. And wjich to the regulator. Also can someone tell me the location of the regulator? Hoping this will fix the problems. With the grouns being hpoooked to the solenoid would that cause slow ceank/ the wire to get roo hot to touch as i previously said had happened. ? Hoping to attempt a crank "tomorrow.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Installed the starter but found that the orange wire thqt goes from voltage regulator to starter was diaaconnected on both ends

That is not good. could be that you have a bad regulator. The regulator is bolted to the side of the block, the inlet water hose goes to a pipe bolted to it. The orange wire is the output wire, the battery will not charge without it. You can run the engine without it, but battery will not charge. One end goes to regulator, other to large (battery) terminal of starter. If regulator is bad, alternator conversion is the way to go.

dowtom

Seaman

Alright ill look for the regulator tomorrow and hook it up and hope if i can find it and hook it all up. Any chance to hook up an altinator tester to see if its charging. You know the one you tap to the battery.

dowtom

Seaman

The weather has finally broke here in Maryland and i was finally able to get back into the engine with hopes of getting it started.

I used the provided wire diagram you guys provided and i checked every wire, and they all seem to be wire correct. I only have one quick question. The Slave solenoid was wired correct, but the master is a bit confusing to me.
First off, the starter does not have any wires going to it correct? Secondly, can you look at the attached photos and tell me if i wired the master solenoid correctly.

I have the switch wire from the slave on the small portside pole under the large pole. (yellow red)
I have the small starboard side pole with no wires, i didnt see what needed to be placed there.

The large pole has the following 1 hot wire directly from the battery, 1 large guage wire from the master solenoid to the circuit breaker, and lastly i have an orange large guage from the master solenoid to the voltage regulator.

I have attached photos to help with the description. Can you please advise if this is correct or changes are needed.

I dont wanna fry the starter/battery becuase its wired wrong.starter1.jpgstarter2.jpg

Sorry for bringing a dead thread back to life

dowtom

Seaman

Sorry for second post

To help illustrate some more.

Using this attached photo:

The top bolt has Battery cable, Cable to the circuit breaker,
and orange that comes from voltage regulator

The bolt on the right (small) has yellow/red from slave
Bottom bolt (that connects to the the starter by bracket is empty

Top left (slightly hidden) has nothing on that pole either.View attachment 185439

Bondo

Staff member

The weather has finally broke here in Maryland and i was finally able to get back into the engine with hopes of getting it started.

I used the provided wire diagram you guys provided and i checked every wire, and they all seem to be wire correct. I only have one quick question. The Slave solenoid was wired correct, but the master is a bit confusing to me.
First off, the starter does not have any wires going to it correct? Secondly, can you look at the attached photos and tell me if i wired the master solenoid correctly.

I have the switch wire from the slave on the small portside pole under the large pole. (yellow red)
I have the small starboard side pole with no wires, i didnt see what needed to be placed there.

The large pole has the following 1 hot wire directly from the battery, 1 large guage wire from the master solenoid to the circuit breaker, and lastly i have an orange large guage from the master solenoid to the voltage regulator.

I have attached photos to help with the description. Can you please advise if this is correct or changes are needed.

I dont wanna fry the starter/battery becuase its wired wrong.View attachment 185437View attachment 185438

Sorry for bringing a dead thread back to life

Ayuh,... It appears to be 'bout right,....
Except, the outer tiny terminal should have a wire on it to feed 12Vs directly to the coil, while Startin'....

dowtom

Seaman

so if i run a wire from the tiny terminal to the the 12v rail of the coil that should be correct? Should there be anything on the bolt that is on the bottom of the starter it self?

Bondo

Staff member

so if i run a wire from the tiny terminal to the the 12v rail of the coil that should be correct? Should there be anything on the bolt that is on the bottom of the starter it self?

Ayuh,... The missin' wire oughta be a purple/ yellow stripe I believe, to the (+) on the coil...

'n What bolt on the bottom of the starter,..??
The starter power terminal has the copper strap from the solenoid, 'n that's all it gets...
The empty bolt, way out front on the starter is for a support bracket...

dowtom

Seaman

Ayuh,... The missin' wire oughta be a purple/ yellow stripe I believe, to the (+) on the coil...

'n What bolt on the bottom of the starter,..??
The starter power terminal has the copper strap from the solenoid, 'n that's all it gets...
The empty bolt, way out front on the starter is for a support bracket...

ThankYou I'll Trace The WireTomorrow And Connect It. HopefullyThis Will Work.

One More Question. Can I Use A Battery Jumper To Start TheMotor To Test It Before I Purchase A BaTtery OR Use My Trucks?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The starter don't care where the 12v amperage comes from, so long as there's enough there...

dowtom

Seaman

Slightly confused. I looked back over the wire diagram that was posted before. I have a purpl/yellow already connected from the ignition coil, it goes to the slave solenoid that is NOT mounted on the starter, is a second wire from the master solenoid also required? If not can i keep the pole on the master solenoid empty or move the wire form slave to master, what do you suggest?

Bondo

Staff member

Slightly confused. I looked back over the wire diagram that was posted before. I have a purpl/yellow already connected from the ignition coil, it goes to the slave solenoid that is NOT mounted on the starter, is a second wire from the master solenoid also required? If not can i keep the pole on the master solenoid empty or move the wire form slave to master, what do you suggest?

Ayuh,... I can't see exactly where that wire is attached, so,...
The coil needs to see the full 12 volts when startin',...
Then it drops to the voltage needed by the points...
It'll depend on which terminal it's hooked too..

dowtom

Seaman

OkaySoIfIGoToCrankAndISee 12V AtTheCoolThanItIsHookedUpCorrectly

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OkaySoIfIGoToCrankAndISee 12V AtTheCoolThanItIsHookedUpCorrectly

Please turn off the caps lock, and find the space bar..........

You should see battery voltage when cranking, it won't be 12V.