Can CG outboard rating be changed?

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer
I have a friend here who can't use the computer, which makes us even because I can't afford his boat....anyway, he's got a 1998 Gambler model 209TE. The coast guard tag rates it for a 225 HP motor but it came off the line with a 300 HP motor on it. He called the company and they said they put 9 boats out like that in 1998, period. The problem is, it still has the 225 tag. It's obviously worked all this time with the 300 on it, but he worries about getting in trouble with the boat. What would be the process to get this changed, since the company isn't providing any help? Thanks in advance.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Can CG outboard rating be changed?

The only problem he could get into is with an insurance company if he were to be involved in an accident. The Coast Guard doesn't care what size motor it has.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Don't think you can get it changed. The CG hp rating is based on calculations. As previous poster said, the CG won't do anything. Insurance company...maybe if he gets into an accident. But if he already has insurance, I am assuming the company already knows and insured the boat based on the motor size and boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would sue the maker for a new 225HP engine and replacement cost.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

SO let me get this straight: he has had the boat for 12 years with no problem, never been stopped for overpowering, and NOW he is starting to get worried? What has he left out of the story? Suing after knowing all these years--well, a good lawyer might get something but it will probably cost more than it's worth.

If 9 boats were produced with that horsepower that year, then the company must have made a change--whether or not the CG accepted them is a different story.

Sometimes the change can be deceptively simple:

I do remember a while back reading about a 28 foot twin 225 engine hull. The manufacturer simply added a piece of 1/4 inch thick aluminum angle to the transom top to qualify the same hull for twin 275s.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Manufacturers use the calculations to get a mathematical maximum point. Then they adjust down to a "magic" point. IE a boat's math point is 237 hp so it is adjusted down to 235, 230 or 225. That final number is usually set with a brand or brands of engines in mind so that a boat will be able to be fitted with an engine that max's the boat. IE The manufacturer looks at the market and sees 225's and no 235's so they set the boat at 225. Next model year a 230 might be available and the manufacturer suddenly begins producing the same boat rated for a 230.

Huron Angler

Admiral

This thread was started today;)

Tohatsu I believe you are right because my SS is rated for 85 but they offered the same hull rated for 80 when Merc was putting out 800s rather than 850s.

I like JB's plan, a new 225 would be nice:)

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the plate off of the boat. They are not absolutely mandatory. I don't have one on either of my boats and noboady has ever noticed!!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Unless your boat is handmade it is 100% required by Federal law. Now whether anyone cares are not is up for debate:)

Willyclay

Captain

The USCG regs for displaying capacity information, including maximum horsepower capacity, is required on monohulls less than 20 feet in length. See the link below. Seems to me that your buddy needs to measure the actual length of the boat and then make a decision. Let us know how it turns out.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/pdf/33cfr183.23.pdf

EDIT: Corrected, sorry about that!

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"The USCG regs for displaying capacity information, including maximum horsepower capacity, is not required on monohulls less than 20 feet in length"

Not according to the regs.......

"Subpart B?Display of Capacity Information
Sec. 183.21?Applicability
This subpart applies to monohull boats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes,
kayaks, and inflatable boats.
Sec. 183.23?Capacity marking required
Each boat must be marked in the manner prescribed in Secs. 183.25 and 183.27 with the maximum
persons capacity in whole numbers of persons and in pounds, the maximum weight capacity in
pounds, determined under Secs. 183.33 through 183.43, and the maximum horsepower capacity
determined under Sec. 183.53 or the statement ?This Boat Not Rated for Propulsion by a Motor?."

I think you are confusing the method of testing with the requirement of testing.

dwco5051

Commander

Take the plate off of the boat. They are not absolutely mandatory. I don't have one on either of my boats and noboady has ever noticed!!!

Check your state regulations.

Pennsylvania as follows;

? 99.1. Boats requiring capacity plates.
(a) A capacity plate is required to be permanently affixed to a monohull boat less than 20 feet in length designed to carry two or more persons and to be propelled by machinery or oars as its principal source of power if one of the following apply:

(1) The boat is manufactured, transferred, sold or offered for sale in this Commonwealth.

(2) The boat is operated on waters of this Commonwealth.

(b) Pontoon boats, canoes, sailboats, kayaks, inflatables, hydroplanes, personal watercraft and boats considered by the Commission to be of unusual or unique design are exempt from this chapter.

(c) As used in this chapter, ??manufacture?? means to construct or assemble a boat or alter a boat in a manner that changes its weight carrying capacity

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I currently own an I/O and O/B boats under 20'. The O/B plate listed capacity and max hp but the I/O only list capacity not max hp. Previous owned boats were also like that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you guys need to read the link again, and a link to the next pages.

i also like JB's idea, technically selling an unsafe boat, according to the regs.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you bought it new AND the statute of limitations hadn't run out then MAYBE..... as it is forget suing

Not sure how long the sol would be but it is surely no more than 10 years

Couple choices..... get a (phoney) plate made with a higher hp rating, ignore the "problem" for another 12 years, or sell the engine and buy a smaller one