classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

:clap2:

and lets hope that's the last time you ever hear that warning buzzer!! :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I guess ya just have to kick your shoe's off and so you can think things through !
Way to go Pm !:cool:

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Yep sounds like a Johnson 85hp :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Seats look great. Nice work w/ the horn/light/tilt panel.

You used the big S word, good luck & looking forward to it.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Nice details! May be way off base, because the amountof knowledge I have on outboards might fill a small thimble, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you aren't able to set idle fully until boat is in water under load. Thought you were always going to run at higher rpms on muffs or in a tub. May be all wet, like I said, no practical experience. Was nice to hear the ''splash'' word. Looks real sharp.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice score on the seats ! All the bits and pieces are coming together . Looking forward to some splash action !

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

It's really coming together now PmC! Smart design, tight electrical and some "custom" seats! I bet you're dying to put the hammer down on that bad boy!

Does it seem like you might have some slop in that throttle cable? If you disconnect the cable from the motor at idle position & can still pull cable, the remote control can't pull it all-the-way back to idle?

Trooper82

Commander

Very nice score on the seats Pat...look like they were made just for your boat...things are strting to come together...and I also heard the S word...can't wait to see the vids....almost there!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Getting close man! Hey, that electrical box (mess) action looks very familiar...

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I had the same issue with my throttle lever not wanting to return to the idle stop. My solution was to adjust the throttle cable using the threaded end of the cable jacket where it connects to the engine side. I made it very slightly shorter between the threads and the throttle arm. It seems to go back every time now. Your issue may be more complicated, but worth a shot maybe?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great Patrick! Looking forward to the splash!

Thanks Bobby, me too!

Seats look great. Nice work w/ the horn/light/tilt panel.

You used the big S word, good luck & looking forward to it.

Thanks JBC, I did use the S word, however, if you listen very closely, it was qualify by a "maybe" (nonetheless, I am hopeful that I can get her splashed soon).

Nice details! May be way off base, because the amountof knowledge I have on outboards might fill a small thimble, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you aren't able to set idle fully until boat is in water under load. Thought you were always going to run at higher rpms on muffs or in a tub. May be all wet, like I said, no practical experience. Was nice to hear the ''splash'' word. Looks real sharp.

Thanks Lokonn I appreciate the kind words. I know enough to fill up maybe half of thimble. From what I understand, you do have to be under load (4500-5000 rpms) when you are setting your advanced (high speed timing) -- or use a test prop in bucket which simulates load. However, when the engine is at idle, it is not using the advanced timing so I believe (could be wrong) you can monkey with it and set your idle (adjust idle screw; throttle cables, etc..).

Nice score on the seats ! All the bits and pieces are coming together . Looking forward to some splash action !

Thanks S.P. I was lucky finding those. I would have preferred higher back seat or something a little offshore looking, but for the price, I had to grab them.

It's really coming together now PmC! Smart design, tight electrical and some "custom" seats! I bet you're dying to put the hammer down on that bad boy!

Does it seem like you might have some slop in that throttle cable? If you disconnect the cable from the motor at idle position & can still pull cable, the remote control can't pull it all-the-way back to idle?

I think I fixed it; I realized last night that the throttle cable pulls tight (back toward the boat) to bring it back to idle. So, I tightened up the throttle cable (like Chemicalwire suggested below) and it appears that I fixed it. So, for now at least, I do think slop in the cable was the problem.

Very nice score on the seats Pat...look like they were made just for your boat...things are strting to come together...and I also heard the S word...can't wait to see the vids....almost there!

Thanks Troop. Hopefully, it will happen soon.

Getting close man! Hey, that electrical box (mess) action looks very familiar...

Thanks, yeah, I remember when you were at this stage of your project.

I had the same issue with my throttle lever not wanting to return to the idle stop. My solution was to adjust the throttle cable using the threaded end of the cable jacket where it connects to the engine side. I made it very slightly shorter between the threads and the throttle arm. It seems to go back every time now. Your issue may be more complicated, but worth a shot maybe?

Thanks CM; I think you are exactly right. I tightened up the cable last night and I think it fixed it (haven't run it yet, but it appears from the idle/start mark on the cam that I am very close).

Thanks everyone!

P.S. this boat now has logos and some blue paint on it (will post pics as soon as the final coat dries).

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I caught the update as I was rushing out the door yesterday to a Family deal and did not have the time to respond, but here goes...
Niiiiiiiiice! :eyebrows:
Soooooo-per Koooooo-lio!
:rockon:
Bravo!:yo:
Wooooo-Hoooo!:dance:
Looooo-kin Gooooood!:thumb:
and oh yeah, I heard the "S" word, too...twice, even...
well, 4 times if you count the second time I watched the vid...:rolleyes:...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Gus; Much appreciated!

Well, the exterior paint work is not 100% done (I will have a little accent strip to add), but it was nice to walk out in my garage this morning and see this:

Also, I cleaned up my electrical and got all the wires bundled and sleeved... The steering throttle cables are way to long (hence the dip)... However, I'll use for short remainder of this season and then change em out over the winter. Also, for those of you super highly observant folks, the 2 wires dangling beneath the dash are simply the tags to my 12V accessory (car lighter thing) that I have not wired up yet.

I've got a lot of catching up to do on other's threads. I have to sit through seminars all day and Wednesday (CLE) so that will give me some time to catch up on what you guys have been doing.

Thanks and and hope everyone had a great weekend!