1988 Rogue 2420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
at the rate i am going..... most likely..... Motor is ready, drive is almost together, hull is half sanded and the interior is half done..... the humidity and temp are brutal right now so I am doing what I can in the air conditioned garage.

alldodge

Staff member
With the humidity, don't blame you. Hey at least this way you can sort of rub our nose in it when its cold up here :D :(

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its currently 92 degrees with a heat index of 102....I smell like a sweat sock....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
started working on the gunwales today..... pulled the carpet. already planned on wire-brushing the glue for new carpet. turns out someone used a tube of silycone to stick the carpet back in place as the glue dried out.

used a wood chisel to scrape the silycone....then was going to lightly hit it with a wire brush......and simply re-texture where I damaged it

until the admiral says.....I dont want carpeting in there.....I want you to paint it

so now Im itcy because it 92+ in the shade and I am grinding fiberglass after wire brushing it so I can fair and gel

Attachments

• photo295817.jpg
    photo295817.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo295818.jpg
    photo295818.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo295819.jpg
    photo295819.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 3

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Two things I am learning to hate, grinding fiberglass and silicone. Keep up the good work. Get some pics of the interior panel work. That is the winter project list for me, but I am starting completely from scratch, nothing existing to work from.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I took some last night in between filling holes in the dog dug....

I have to revise my side panels.... because of the domino effect of the gunwale change

I am now relocating the speakers that were in the side panel to a mounted enclosure in the gunwales just above the soon to be faired and gelled pocket

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sure it will look great when finished, but its going to be heavy. What about stainless tubing and Tig weld

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my guess about 150#

could do aluminum tube and aluminum skin, however then I still need to do a bit of fairing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
just picked up two sheets of 1/2" poly core board. will be doing a multi-layer sandwich of foam, csm, 1708, csm, foam....etc. for the canvas bimini channels, I thought of a bolt-on stainless channel like chris-craft. or I could use the grey anodized aluminum channel (boring and looks fugly)....or 1/2" diameter, 3/8" ID fiberglass tube. same stuff they make CB and Hamm radio antennas from.......

Scott Danforth

Staff member
photo296207.jpg
quick sketch of the cross section of the top.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
trying to get the interior panels encapsulated this weekend to drop off with my upholstery guy. with this heat, even at 1%, the resin kicked off so hot it was smoking and it melted the plastic mix cup.

originally each part had cloth wrapped... however as the resin was kicking that became a @#$@%$ mess...

so half the panels have cloth, the other half just resin. they will all get wrapped with vinyl

photo296712.jpg

about 2 quarts total of trophies......

should have used waxed resin. not enough PVA, so I used some rattle cans of paint to get rid of the tackiness.

Attachments

• photo296711.jpg
    photo296711.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296713.jpg
    photo296713.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296714.jpg
    photo296714.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296715.jpg
    photo296715.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296716.jpg
    photo296716.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
House boat glass guys in Somerset told me they only do glass work between 60 to 90

Scott Danforth

Staff member
that would make sense.

I tried doing it in the garage with the AC going, however the admiral wasnt happy with the fumes.... you would have thought I was burning goats

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so I dropped off some interior panels at my upholstery guy. should be done this weekend. then I drop off the remainder.

picking up some melamine to make the molds for the arch. have a plan in my head, however perseverating over the implementation.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
here are the aluminum diamond plate lower panels. originally there was wood along the bottom, however that would hold water in the gunwale pockets
photo297958.jpg
Here are the panels installed. the two speaker "ears" will be re-shaped. too tight of a gap to below. thinking that I will re-locate the speakers to within the gunwale pocket. the diamond plate will be painted a smokey metalic grey like the outdrive
photo297959.jpg
bulkhead on port side by the cuddy door is a formica covered piece of marine ply. the bottom 2 inches of that panel have de-laminated. and the wood is soft. there were 3 screws thru the formica and the method of mounting made a perfect little area for the wood to absorb water. so that panel is getting replaced as well. it was 3/4" ply with a layer of formica. since the panel is also an interior panel for the cuddy, it will become a 1/2" ply with a layer of CSM/1708 on the outside and a layer of CSM on the inside. then it will be faired and gel coated prior to installation.

the gunwale pocket core material was cut and shaped. too hot to install/glass in place

temps in the low 90's spend a fair amount of time in the pool cooling back off.

Status
Not open for further replies.