1984 Starcraft Islander 19V Restoration

csmith1975

Seaman
I think Bass Pro sells something similiar, but better do some research and see if it's good stuff.

Great looking islander you have there!

Thanks CJ! I will look into the BPS line. Love your Eye Candy Chieftain. I was on the fence about the wrap-around railing, Since seeing yours I am leaning towards more railing.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
MichaelP has a thread in the Chieftain restore section in the Starcraft sticky threads and I believe he was able to reproduce the caps, send him a PM.

The vinyl your wanting to remove is that flooring or upholstery vinyl? Either I guess you'll jut have to go to work on it peeling it off and use some xylene to loosen up and remove the glue.

csmith1975

Seaman
MichaelP has a thread in the Chieftain restore section in the Starcraft sticky threads and I believe he was able to reproduce the caps, send him a PM.

The vinyl your wanting to remove is that flooring or upholstery vinyl? Either I guess you'll jut have to go to work on it peeling it off and use some xylene to loosen up and remove the glue.

Thank you, I will send him a message.

Vinyl, seems to have been used on the aluminum sear supports, and the wood in the cabin. I believe the original seat boxes were also covered with it. I will say, after trying to slide a knife under it, They put it on to stay.

I am not familiar with xylene, I am assuming i can not just put it on the vinyl, i will have to get it between the aluminum and vinyl?

Watermann

Yeah contact cement earns the last part of it's name when it comes to removing it. Xylene is an adhesive reducer and I found it to to work wonders removing glues I've encountered. Unfortunately boat deconstruction is 2 parts perspiration and the vinyl is a barrier.The fun part will be getting the glue cleaned off the AL.

Good times! :thumb:

csmith1975

Seaman
Lucky for me, I have a 13 year old daughter that fits in the cabin better than I do. And she just so happens to owe me for an advance on her allowance! :lol:

csmith1975

Seaman
I got some serious bonding time with my metal mistress tonight. I removed the helm, cabin wall, and the remainder of the cabin interior. Some bad news, the PO had replaced the floor. I joked about the pour in foam with him. I thought he was joking when he said " I mixed some up and replaced what I tore out." He was not joking. I had been thinking i may only have to deal with the foam in the cabin. (where he did not replace the floor)

My question tonight. (I know this is turning into a daily segment) The hydraulic steering system; If I remove the hose at the motor what should I expect? A lot of pressure? Just fluid running out? This may seem simple, but I wanted to ask before I disconnected it.

Thanks in advance.

csmith1975

Seaman
I got some serious bonding time with my metal mistress tonight. I removed the helm, cabin wall, and the remainder of the cabin interior. Some bad news, the PO had replaced the floor. I joked about the pour in foam with him. I thought he was joking when he said " I mixed some up and replaced what I tore out." He was not joking. I had been thinking i may only have to deal with the foam in the cabin. (where he did not replace the floor)

My question tonight. (I know this is turning into a daily segment) The hydraulic steering system; If I remove the hose at the motor what should I expect? A lot of pressure? Just fluid running out? This may seem simple, but I wanted to ask before I disconnected it.

Thanks in advance.

Watermann

Dang your really tearing into her! :thumb:

Only thing in there for the steering is a rod, no goop or fluid man.

Leave that foam alone up in the cabin if it's dry. Save you a bunch of time and money if it isn't soggy.

Last edited:

csmith1975

Seaman
Dang your really tearing into her! :thumb:

Only thing in there for the steering is a rod, no goop or fluid man.

Leave that foam alone up in the cabin if it's dry. Save you a bunch of time and money if it isn't soggy.

Thank you fine sir!

I should have known that, but the fittings look like hydraulic fittings on a tractor.

So far, all of the foam seems to be dry as a bone. I have been like a kid poking at it. lol

Last edited:

Watermann

Just remember before you put it back together, clean the inside of the tilt tube like it's a shotgun barrel, they are filthy inside and causes the steering to be rough and jerky.

csmith1975

Seaman
Just remember before you put it back together, clean the inside of the tilt tube like it's a shotgun barrel, they are filthy inside and causes the steering to be rough and jerky.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Speaking of a shotgun, I saw a Browning 12ga auto prototype yesterday that was beautiful. I tried to trade the Admiral for it.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You're really ripping into the old girl. I agree with H20 about that foam.... not fun stuff to remove.

Keep that momentum going and you'll be ready for the construction phase in a few weeks.

csmith1975

Seaman
You're really ripping into the old girl. I agree with H20 about that foam.... not fun stuff to remove.

Keep that momentum going and you'll be ready for the construction phase in a few weeks.

I can not wait to get to the construction phase of this project.

No progress was made today. Left for business in Cincinnati this morning at 5am and did not get home until 9pm. But it works out as it rained most of the day. If the rain holds off tomorrow, I will start tearing the flooring out.

Watermann

Never thought of trading the admiral for a shotgun, is there really someone out there willing to give up their shotgun for a headache? :lol:

If your planning on doing some paint removal don't get discouraged when it seems like everything grinds to a halt.

csmith1975

Seaman
Never thought of trading the admiral for a shotgun, is there really someone out there willing to give up their shotgun for a headache? :lol:

If your planning on doing some paint removal don't get discouraged when it seems like everything grinds to a halt.

Well he wouldnt bite on the trade... So i guess he knew her to well!

I am pretty lucky with the paint removal, the bottom of the hull is bare aluminum. (only 1/3/ of a hull to strip paint.) I will haul her out to the family farm to remove the top of the cabin and "turtle" her for paint. A buddy of mine has a soda blasting set-up. He said I could borrow it. I'm not certain if that is the way to go with the paint removal or not.

Waterman, I am on page currently reading your Chieftain thread, I have finished a couple others build threads. Yours may take a while. I can not believe how helpful the members are on here. It seems most peoples questions are answered within 24 hours. Thanks for your help to this point.

jbcurt00

Staff member
When the forum is up & running right, I'd bet most questions are answered in a couple of hours. Often the fly so that a problem is completely dissected & solution found in less then 12hrs.

csmith1975

Seaman
When the forum is up & running right, I'd bet most questions are answered in a couple of hours. Often the fly so that a problem is completely dissected & solution found in less then 12hrs.

It is an incredible tool! I know i have been/will be gaining valuable knowledge. This is my first boat restoration. It probably wouldn't be happening if I had not stumbled across this forum over a year ago.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Mornin smith!

I do believe I have a bow cap here in the garage if you are in need. I'll see if I can dig it up for ya and shoot ya a PM.

There is no real trick to get that vinyl off. Just kinda start ripping and tearing and pulling. Putting heat to the glue will help some too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
OK, yup, dug around and found it.

Problem: the personal message system is ridiculous. I can't send messages as apparently I have reached my PM quota. And, as I go in to delete anything/everything, nothing gets dumped out. iboats forums "upgrade", nice.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So, if you'd like to talk: jasoutsideatgmaildotcom

csmith1975

Seaman
OK, yup, dug around and found it.

Problem: the personal message system is ridiculous. I can't send messages as apparently I have reached my PM quota. And, as I go in to delete anything/everything, nothing gets dumped out. iboats forums "upgrade", nice.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So, if you'd like to talk: jasoutsideatgmaildotcom

Thank you very much, Email sent!