1984 Starcraft Islander 19V Restoration

csmith1975

Seaman
And then there was foam...:facepalm:

I started removing the deck. I then decided to take a break from the enjoyable boat deconstruction. I started removing foam. I probably could have gotten away with only removing the aft 3 feet or so. but I am a gluten for punishment. Most of the foam I removed was bone dry, crunchy, and still had that toxic chemical smell. The foam that the PO had poured in during the transom replacement was soaked all of the way through. I am almost certain it had zero buoyancy. as a matter of fact, I believe it would have had the same effect as a concrete block. I also found the 36 gallon belly tank. I am debating if I should reuse the tank, any tips on checking the tank to see if it is clean enough to re-use? Also, What is the best way to shine up a hull plate?

Thanks in advance!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Forward progress in the tear down is progress towards the goal. You may have second thoughts about replacing the fuel tank when you price out a new one ::eek: You can search the forums for how to pressure test the tank at 3 psi to see if theres a leak. I do know you should pull it, clean it off and see how much pitting is on it.

csmith1975

Seaman
Forward progress in the tear down is progress towards the goal. You may have second thoughts about replacing the fuel tank when you price out a new one ::eek: You can search the forums for how to pressure test the tank at 3 psi to see if theres a leak. I do know you should pull it, clean it off and see how much pitting is on it.

Thank you very much! After I posted I remembered my brother-in-law has one of those snake cameras. Maybe I will be able to see inside. I will check on that pressure testing method. I am also going to have to get a small plastic tank before I can see if I can get the motor to fire. Motor turns over, but I have not taken time to check the compression yet. I have been saving the motor tinkering for when I get burned out on deconstruction.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Garzon does really nice work, I'm very pleased w/ the Sea Nymph sticker he made me:
SeaNymphCapacityplate_zps46188464.png

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I know what ya mean by the soggy foam. The donor boat I bought was in super soggy shape that I could not only drain gallons of water out of it the wood inside was do rotted that I could put a spade right through it. I certainly don't envy your task of getting it out. The fuel tank may be good and worthwhile cleaning it up esp at cost of new one. I cleaned the one up out of my donor and put it up on Craig's. Sold it the same day.

csmith1975

Seaman
I know what ya mean by the soggy foam. The donor boat I bought was in super soggy shape that I could not only drain gallons of water out of it the wood inside was do rotted that I could put a spade right through it. I certainly don't envy your task of getting it out. The fuel tank may be good and worthwhile cleaning it up esp at cost of new one. I cleaned the one up out of my donor and put it up on Craig's. Sold it the same day.

I have seen several on craig's, Man they want some coin! From what I have seen, I will probably be doing whatever I can to salvage my current tank.
Any suggestions at to a good cleaning procedure?

delms82

Seaman
I have 22gal tank in my Nova so will be watching for recommended cleaning. CSmith you beat me by 1 day on your Islander buy. I had talked to Craig several times but looks like my Nova will be less labor intense.

csmith1975

Seaman
I have 22gal tank in my Nova so will be watching for recommended cleaning. CSmith you beat me by 1 day on your Islander buy. I had talked to Craig several times but looks like my Nova will be less labor intense.

He said his phone was ringing off the hook. I figured that he was saying that to keep me from low-balling him. I am guessing you are local? I am southeast of Mt. Vernon in Centerburg.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good tear down! You can remove the fuel sender (5 screws) to get a peek inside the tank.

csmith1975

Seaman
Good tear down! You can remove the fuel sender (5 screws) to get a peek inside the tank.

Thank you GA. I am leaving work early today to spend the entire weekend (aside from a couple softball games) with my metal mistress. I think I will tinker with the motor tonight. Then probably pull he rest of the foam and gas tank tomorrow.

Anyone have any input as to moving the gas tank forward in the hull about 14-16 inches? I figure it would help with weight distribution. And I would have a step down into the cabin (more like a Chief) and not have that floor opening on the main deck.

I am considering something like this for the cabin door. http://greatlakesskipper.com/sea-fox-off-white-starboard-boat-hatch-door-w-locking-latch

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you GA. I am leaving work early today to spend the entire weekend (aside from a couple softball games) with my metal mistress. I think I will tinker with the motor tonight. Then probably pull he rest of the foam and gas tank tomorrow.
Anyone have any input as to moving the gas tank forward in the hull about 14-16 inches? I figure it would help with weight distribution. And I would have a step down into the cabin (more like a Chief) and not have that floor opening on the main deck.
I am considering something like this for the cabin door. http://greatlakesskipper.com/sea-fox-off-white-starboard-boat-hatch-door-w-locking-latch

What I'd give for an entire weekend with my metal mistress... Take lots of pics!

csmith1975

Seaman
What I'd give for an entire weekend with my metal mistress... Take lots of pics!

Funny you should say that, I have a GoPro camera that I have only used for fishing videos. Right now I am researching how to use the time-lapse photo option. (Hard day at work today) I hope to have cool time lapse of the remainder of the exciting foam removal! :lol:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that gopro vid sounds cool, one of the other guys in the resto forum did that on his expanding foam job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Think that was Frisco Boater. We got to see mushrooms grow. :D. GoPros are being used for a lot of video work.

csmith1975

Seaman
Think that was Frisco Boater. We got to see mushrooms grow. :D. GoPros are being used for a lot of video work.

I bought one to film my fishing and hunting trips. I took it to the water park with the grandkids. The Admiral had to have one once she saw what they could do. The problem is taking time to edit the videos. I have hours of video I need to edit, however, If I am on my laptop I am working or researching tin!:eek:

csmith1975

Seaman
My 1st major setback...

I was contemplating a re-power with a newer more reliable motor. However I wanted to tinker with this motor. I ran a compression check. 3 cylinders in the 130 to 140 range. The other cylinder was about 60. So I removed the head. Looks like it had chewed a ring. Luckily the cylinder walls are still smooth. My buddy says he has a piston, and I found new rings for about $12 with shipping. I will go ahead and replace the piston and see what happens. So for now it is back to foam removal.:grumpy:

csmith1975

Seaman
My 1st major setback...

I was contemplating a re-power with a newer more reliable motor. However I wanted to tinker with this motor. I ran a compression check. 3 cylinders in the 130 to 140 range. The other cylinder was about 60. So I removed the head. Looks like it had chewed a ring. Luckily the cylinder walls are still smooth. My buddy says he has a piston, and I found new rings for about $12 with shipping. I will go ahead and replace the piston and see what happens. So for now it is back to foam removal.:grumpy: