1984 Starcraft Islander 19V Restoration

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah, looks like a chunk of ring got munched alright. I would run a hone down the cylinder anyway just to break the glaze so the new ring will seat better. Also check to make sure there isn't a ridge. Nice (bad) find! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If no rebore is needed, that sure was a nice (bad) find. Run a hone to break the glaze, like WM said. Hope it's a cheap fix with just the rings and gaskets.

csmith1975

Seaman
I got some tear-down done this weekend. I removed all of the foam I plan on taking out. I will need to empty the gas tank, it seems to be about half full. I had taken pics and had time lapse video. I had a brain fart and hit delete on the camera. But the admiral snapped some photos after i wrapped up tonight. The Admiral also surprised me with an early birthday treat. I love tips to Harbor Freight. I got a new larger compressor, A smaller easy to handle shop vac, and a soda blaster. I did not get to use any of the new goodies today, But I am hoping to take off work early tomorrow.

dozerII

Admiral
The dismantle is coming along nicely cs. That's one heck of a haul there for Fathers Day!!:thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Discection coming along nicely. Who can complain about getting new tools for Father's Day.

GA_Boater

Tell me - Did the early birthday gifts arrive before or after the topless gal in the driveway? :lol: I guess it's OK since the Admiral took the pics. :smile:

You're moving, getting all the bad stuff out of her.

Watermann

Nice work on the tear down, those cabins need to come off if nothing else it makes it way easier to do the work to the inner hull and the bottom if painting. The seal is always shot under it too at least mine was on the Chief. I also pulled the bow cap and gunnels off. Glad I did, all the blind rivets were loose.

Nice to be loved and get cool tools for fathers day!

csmith1975

Seaman
Thanks guys! The family has to love me one day a year! :lol: They only have to tolerate me the other 364.

The topless lady showed up before the gifts. This is my first rebuild, and my first valuable piece of advice is: Take the cabin off first. I wish I would have taken it off before i did anything else. It is so much easier moving around to do things without that huge chunk of "head bumping aluminum and glass" in the way.

The cabin had clearly had a leak in the port side at one time. The PO's solution was to run several screws in. I can say that at least they were smart enough (or a lucky guess) to use SS screws.

I cracked a compression fitting for the soda blaster by over tightening it. So I have to make a trip to Lowes as soon as I get my work done for the day. Has anyone used a soda blaster with success? My buddy said I could borrow his, He said it would strip the paint and glue right off the aluminum. They were on sale at harbor freight for less than half price. I would rather have my own than borrow something. If it does not work, I am gonna mount it in the splash well because it looks just like a NOS bottle. LOL

Thanks for the kind words,
Chris

csmith1975

Seaman
The weather finally cooperated...

The Admiral and I started stripping paint on thurs. after work. Then she surprised me by stripping paint n the rain today while I was at work. She is a trooper. If you have not used aircraft stripper, I highly recommend it. and it is actually entertaining to watch.

A couple questions...
What is the best way to restore oxidized aluminum?
What is the best process for prepping the bare aluminum for paint?

csmith1975

Seaman
With the Admirals help all the paint is removed. I can not catch a break from mother nature. I need to JB weld the holes in the bow cover, the cabin roof, and the gunnels. On a positive note, I pulled the gas tank on Sunday. I pulled the float for the gas gauge. Look in the tank, Less than a gallon of old gas left in the tank from the PO. The gas appeared clean, and from what I can see the tank is very clean inside.

GA_Boater

Your Admiral is a stripper* and you have a clean tank. :D
x
x
x

* Don't tell her I said that. :eek:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple questions...
What is the best way to restore oxidized aluminum?
What is the best process for prepping the bare aluminum for paint?
There was a good post somewhere here on buffing aluminum. Basically, a power buffer, a couple of bonnets, safety goggles and respirator, a couple of grade of compound, and lots of time ! The compound gets on everything, so consider doing it outside. You may even consider an outside shower !

As for painting, make sure there is no residue from any paint stripper by wiping the surface down with paint thinner or acetone and clean rags. Self etching metal primer ad you are ready for paint. Alkyd enamel with hardener is the preferred top coat.

csmith1975

Seaman
Your Admiral is a stripper* and you have a clean tank. :D
x
x
x

* Don't tell her I said that. :eek:

She is not just a stripper.... she is a SUPER STRIPPER! She was out in the rain trying to have the stripping done before I came home from work.

csmith1975

Seaman
There was a good post somewhere here on buffing aluminum. Basically, a power buffer, a couple of bonnets, safety goggles and respirator, a couple of grade of compound, and lots of time ! The compound gets on everything, so consider doing it outside. You may even consider an outside shower !

As for painting, make sure there is no residue from any paint stripper by wiping the surface down with paint thinner or acetone and clean rags. Self etching metal primer ad you are ready for paint. Alkyd enamel with hardener is the preferred top coat.

Thank you for the buffing tips Wiz. With the weather around here lately.... Every time I step outside I get a shower:facepalm:

As for the paint...

I have a buddy that paints construction equipment for an auction house.
He says they clean the surface with a soap, then use acetone, then rustolem self etching spray bombs, then they use Majic tractor enamel paint. He did not say anything about the hardener. I have seen it mentioned a few times in my research. Do you clear coat the enamel? He said they do not clear coat because they just want the equipment looking good until it sells. They do not care about it after that.

Watermann

Here is what I do, strip paint, pressure wash, wipe down with vinegar cleaning solution, once dry shoot with rusto self etching rattle cans, wait 1 day, shoot alkyd tractor primer one coat, wait a day 2 coats of tractor alkyd enamel wait 24 hours between coats and it's mixed with catalyst hardener with VM&P Naptha reducer.

No clear coat is put on tin boats from the factory and to me it's a waste of time, money and just another step to screw up. Once cured that tractor paint is almost like a powder coating.

Tell your stripper to apply the paint remover and then cover it with a plastic drop cloth to keep the fumes in, it works great and would say about 50% better and uses less product.

csmith1975

Seaman
Here is what I do, strip paint, pressure wash, wipe down with vinegar cleaning solution, once dry shoot with rusto self etching rattle cans, wait 1 day, shoot alkyd tractor primer one coat, wait a day 2 coats of tractor alkyd enamel wait 24 hours between coats and it's mixed with catalyst hardener with VM&P Naptha reducer.

No clear coat is put on tin boats from the factory and to me it's a waste of time, money and just another step to screw up. Once cured that tractor paint is almost like a powder coating.

Tell your stripper to apply the paint remover and then cover it with a plastic drop cloth to keep the fumes in, it works great and would say about 50% better and uses less product.

Thanks Waterman!

I will tell her that on the next one ( MBS is setting in before I even get this one in the water) We used 4 gallons of aircraft stripper. We ended up aith 2 cans of Rustolem stripper, and 2 cans of Kleen Strip stripper. I have to say that the Kleen Strip was a far superior product on my job. The Rustoleum was thinner and seemed to cover more area, but it took 3 or more coats. The Kleen Strip was thick but 1 coat and some touch-up and it was bare aluminum. Another factor could have been that the cans of Kleen Strip were dust covered at the auto parts store. Maybe it is like a fine wine...

GA_Boater

Oh no, you're a connoisseur of fine stripper. :eek: Yes, a sure sign of MBS. :D