1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

Dang Bomber great style of bass boat, I can see why you fell for her, sexy little boat for sure. :love_heart:

Although after seeing all that work fiberglass has in it, not to mention the expense in materials, I'm glad I have a little tin boat to work on. Oh yeah and a can of rivets makes my little girl happy!

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang Bomber great style of bass boat, I can see why you fell for her, sexy little boat for sure. :love_heart:

Although after seeing all that work fiberglass has in it, not to mention the expense in materials, I'm glad I have a little tin boat to work on. Oh yeah and a can of rivets makes my little girl happy!

Thanks, I'm really happy with the layout, I think. I won't know for sure until I get her splashed and fished a little. I'm sure it will be plenty for just me and the wife.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lower unit is off and got a little bit of sanding done on the motor. I put a call into Us composites this morning and placed my order,FINALLY! It should be here before weeks end so looks like I'll be taking a drive Friday after work to pick up my resin.I did hold off on ordering any gelcoat though. I figure I'm still a little ways from that stage and best not to have it just sitting around.

Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm trying to decode this layup I found on Fiberglassics.com and hoping someone can help.

With the new core cut and sealed (if necessary), the next step is to apply a binder to the inside surface of the remaining transom skin. Many people will use a resin thickened slightly with colloidal silica or microballoons to create an adhesive with the consistency of mayonnaise and then slather it all over both the skin and the core and then press them together. This is an acceptable procedure.
A better bond will occur if you do it another way.
First wet the inside of the skin with resin, then lay up two layers of 1.5 oz mat to the skin. Then wet out the mating side of the core material and lay it in place.
Repeat this procedure for the opposing surface and complete the sandwich construction.

Use more clamps than you think you need to ensure a good bond. If you can't get clamps in place, drilling holes and using through-bolts with extra large fender washers or battens on both sides will work. If you can align the holes to where future hardware will be, then you can save yourself the trouble of filling those holes later.
Regardless of the mechanics of compressing the sandwich, it must be done evenly, securely, and over the entire area of the transom.
Allow 24 hours for the sandwich to cure, (if you have the time, 48 hours would be better).
After the transom has cured, the only thing left to do is glass over the cut line of the skin you removed. Grind it back on both sides of the cut line until you have a 10:1 taper creating a Vee groove, then, as described in Part One, lay up new layers of fiberglass until the groove is flush and the panel securely glassed to the rest of the boat.

So which one is it?
LAYUP (1024x562).jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not sure that the 2nd 4 CSM layer graphic matches anything you posted a description of.........

I intend to follow WOG's graphic, that he's put together from many different places, and seems to combine the best of both: using enough to be substantial, extremely strong & better the original AND not doing so much that it could consume materials unnecessarily.

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Your pasted comments also suggest recycling of the removed interior transom skin in it's layup schedule & installation plan....... Something I'd suggest isn't necessarily good practice, perhaps not BAD practice, but I wouldn't if I had the interior skin, it was still intact so it'd be an option on mine......

If the ground transom skin is uneven/thin/flimsy, it would be good practice to use an additional CSM layer (& if deemed necessary a layer of 1708) which is not typical or included in any layup schedule here. If it's needed, it's needed...... If not, it's not. Hard to say 100% for sure, via the internet & remotely via pix only......

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think i just misunderstood the "Repeat this procedure for the opposing surface and complete the sandwich construction." part of that. I have no intentions of recycling the inner skin, its long gone in trash.

I have to repair the outer skin where the motor kicked through on the PO. I planned on doing a layer of CSM and 2x1708 over damaged area.
Going with a "wet on wet" layup i was thinking i would do the repair and use the layup to left to bond core to outer skin.(now understanding the text I read) Understanding WOG's layup and that being my original plan, I think i just overthunk/over read on this whole process. I think I just need to go back with my orignal plan and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think the core is BETWEEN layers 2 & 3 in that 4 CSM layup, but don't hold me to that It almost reads as you're installing the 2 pcs of ply individually onto the transom skin, not after gluing them together, but don't hold me to that either :facepalm:

There is lots of info out there. Too much is often too much, but by reading so many ways to skin a boat, it helped me decide how to work on mine, and often changed my plan slightly or improved it. But it's generally been about the same, no drastic changes. And how I'd be comfortable doing mine, is how I like to think I suggest for others. But, for whatever reason, you want to do it another way, I'm ok w/ that. I OFTEN learn stuff that way too. :happy:

So, yeah, best to do it the way you can justify & that meets your budget, time & skills. You are correct, no need to reinvent the wheel ;)

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My US composites order got here today! Really pleased with the speed of shipping. 2 days from FL to NC. And Packaged really well.Picking up resin tomorrow? Hopefully.

Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I HAVE RESIN!! 12 gallons for $200 So tomorrow is the big day and I'm gonna start glassin. Did some running around and picked up last minute supplies and I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Besides the obvious of resin and cloth.

I have:
mixing cups
rags(LOTS)
Acetone(5gals)
rubber spatchula
bondo spreader
chip brushes
4in roller and tray (extra rollers)
gloves(nitrile)
Vapor respirator
wax paper and tape
SS screws
2x4's and bolts for transom clamps

I think I'm good just dont want to find out when i start mixing that im missing something

Last edited:

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

yup, looks like a good start to me for the weekend! good luck! I'll be checkin in tomorrow and see if you're stuck on anything.

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

oops, I just caught it! how about stir sticks? plastic spoons for filets and some mineral spirits?

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:censored: :facepalm: How did i manage to forget stir sticks.... :frusty: well it looks like I have to go grab some in the morning.

oops, I just caught it! how about stir sticks? plastic spoons for filets and some mineral spirits?

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quick trip to O'reilys this morning and got 100 stir sticks @.07 a piece.

Mixed up a small batch of resin already this morning and coated the transom. Taking this very slow to start until I have a good feel for it. I applied it about 15 mins ago and gonna go check on it now and make sure I didnt mess this up

Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

first batch at 1% took some time to kick. a little over an 90mins. Although it did soak in quite well. Just mixed a batch to coat back side and stringers.

Mixed my first batch of PB to fix the grind holes in hull. 1/2 qt resin, 1/2 qt cabosil, and 3 table spoons of CS. Got about 15-20 mins before it started to kick.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Resin will 'kick' itself quicker if X volume of resin is mixed in a small container. Mixed in a larger container that same volume won't kick as fast..

1/2qt of resin mixed in a quart container kicks faster then the same 1/2qt of resin mixed in a gallon container.....

Or you could try to mix a little less resin in the quart, if you want a bit more working time...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey Bomber how's things going on your Scout?

Status
Not open for further replies.