1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

I do like it a lot better than my Blue point air whizzer right now seeing as though my compressor is a little tired. It works will given the cord remains intact. Downside, if you get ahead of yourself and don't let the blade do its thing it tends to pop the switch on the tool. little red reset button fixes that right up. But $19.99 is a steal as far as im concerned. Also $2.99 for the one year replcemant.(who knows, maybe a hammer will fall on it at a high rate of speed in 11 months, given it lasts that long.)

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good. I bought a roll of the US Composites 6" 1708 biax tape and it had no frayed edges, nor was it stitched on the edges. It came as if you'd cut it yourself (except a lot smoother/straighter). Your gonna need 2 rolls, I'm thinking. I'm using a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I bought the sanding backer with some 24 grit discs from Lowes. Works a whole lot better than the flap wheel discs. I also use a diamond cutting blade (the kind you use on tile) and it cuts trhough the old fiberglass like butter.
I also use one of these on my sawzall:
DSCN0766.jpg

It's easier for some things, like glue removal, etc.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive always used the flapper discs for metal prep and have like the results, hoping for the same on the glass, the 4 1/2" I bought today was $14.99 and $1 for the 1 yr replacement, pretty much bought these to use on this project because dewalt batterys suck.

I haven't had to use the sawzall yet and I think at this point am not going to need it.

Those little 3" cutting discs can do some work , I just have little patience sometimes and just want things to cut faster.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I HIGHLY recommend the backer plate and the 36 grit resin coated discs from HF. It is Hands Down a much better set up for grinding glass than the flapper disc and lots more economical.

BackupPadandSanding36GritSandingDiscs.jpg

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So no work today due to rain on and off, unless staring at the boat for about 90mins counts.I know I have seen in other posts where people get lured into the daze of just staring, but never thought it would be me.But I have finished up my supply list and would like some opionions of as to whether or not I am ordering enough. I also have plans to re gel the hull and not sure how much would be needed for that. I also plan on redoing the cap as well, not all sparkly like it is. I was considering using AwlGrip Topcoat but was open to suggestion if anyone know of a better choice.

Resin 10 gal
1.5 CSM(50") 25yd
1708biax(50") 10yd
1708 tape(6") 75yd
Cabosil 4 gal
1/4" CS 4Lb
Foam 16lb
Wax 1qt

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO you'll need to add 5 gals of resin. You only need a 1 lb of Chopped Strand. You only need 1/4 cup per quart of PB. You have 3 stringers, a transom and a deck so everything else seems pretty close. Resin goes quicker than you think.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its been a long week or so trying to work on boat. After 19 days off its brutal to go back to 5 am wakeups to go run around. I got most of my grinding done with only a couple little spots left. Managed to get up to Raleigh to pick up some wood and hope to start making my templates this weekend.Still haven't placed my us composties order because I have been back and forth about whether to paint or gel.I have been through quite a few threads and think I am finally almost ready to make a descion. I know for sure I am going to do a full respray of gel on the hull but the cap is where the issue lies. With all the bends and edges on the cap my concern is that the sand/buff job is going to be extremely difficult.Not that I'm not up for the challenge but the real issue is the practicality of it. Some pics to prove the work. The bike I shared for the curious and its my pride and joy.(2013 HD FXDWG)
IMG_0041 (800x600).jpgIMG_0043 (800x600).jpgIMG_0042 (800x600).jpg

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another weekend over and another chunk of work done. I got the transom template made and the transom cut and glued.I opted for gorilla glue for this. I also cut my 2 stringers from 3/4" ply. I cut them at just over 1 1/2" because im figuring with the 1/4" for bedding them and the layers of glass, CSM, and 1708 it will put it right at about 2" which is what I need.I still need to cut the top of the transom even with the outer skin and the notch for splash well but I just didn't get to it. It was 75 degress all weekend and I just couldn't resist putting some miles on the bike. I have off of work from Friday to Monday next week so im hoping to get some duck hunting done. Still haven't gotten to placing my order with us composites, I keep telling my self im gonna do it but just haven't. I'm to the point where I need this stuff so I guess I need to get it done this week.IMG_0050 (480x640).jpg

KLDARMY

Cadet

Nice Boat. Doing a great job. I PMd you from where you commented on my thread. If you need any help I'd be more than glad to help and I'm sure I'd learn something that could help me when I do mine. I've never dealt with fiberglass before. I'm more of a car person. Nice bike also, I have a sportster. Please post the costs of everything if ya don't mind. Trying to get a feel of what the costs will be to fix mine. Mine is 16.5' so shouldn't be much difference.

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Bomber, you are making great progress! Glad to see another bass boat gettin a make over on here. I'll follow along but you got some great people already involved with Woodonglass and JBCurt. Feel free to ask questions, I'll be happy to throw my .2 cents in where I can.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks KLD,

As far as costs, I haven't got all my supplies yet but so far
$200.00 for 2 sheets of 3/4" acx(Transom) and 3 sheets 1/2"acx(deck)
$100.00 +/- at lowes for gorilla glue screws and some 2x4s and a respirator
$85.00 at HF for a throw away 4 1/2" grinder and 3" cutoff saw with cutoff wheels and sanding discs
I'm figuring my US composites order to be around $800.00 before shipping and that's if I order my gelcoat from them.

Thanks CW,

I've been doing a lot of reading and answering most of questions that way.
The one question I do have, Is one gal of gelcoat going to be enough to spray the entire hull?
I'm figuring at 2gals of white for hull and 2gals of neutral w/ pigment for cap and stripe on hull,but it seems a little much and I rather over budget than under budget.

jbcurt00

Staff member

The one question I do have, Is one gal of gelcoat going to be enough to spray the entire hull?
I'm figuring at 2gals of white for hull and 2gals of neutral w/ pigment for cap and stripe on hull,but it seems a little much and I rather over budget than under budget.
Your's is a 14' hull that is likely fairly narrow compared to Decker's 18' 6" deck boat, but:
One other thing I did not mention. I way under estimated the amout of gel I would need. I bought 3 gallons and had about 1 quart left over from the fuel cell box.. I used 2 gallons on just half the hull. Will order some more this week.
When I did my research on how much a gallon would cover, I came up with 60 to 80 sq ft @ 20 mil. I went by that and forgot I wanted about 30 to 35 mil. I missed it by that much. :facepalm:

That's just 1 recent gel project. I don't know how much Trooper82 used on his, but his Ebko is also larger then your boat....

So, I think you will be slightly short on gel at 1gal for a 14' hull. You don't want to run out while spraying... for a hull 14' long, at roughly 70SqFt/gal, if your boat is 5' wide, 1 gal will JUST barely do a 20mil coat of gel. That's no test spraying to get the gun setup, no practice to get a feel for how the gel sprays & lays down. And for sure no oops, it's starting to kick so I have to trash what's in the pot & mix more. You'll like want more then 1 gal...

BTW: Gelcoat isn't like regular sprayable paint. Lots of volume & CFM's required, and a larger tip size on the gun. Use the advanced search feature & search for shooting/spraying gelcoat.... And don't forget the PVA or wax, or whatever you plan to use seal off the gel while it cures......

EDIT: 1gal might be enough of the neutral for the cap & stripe... You can do a rough estimate on SqFt & decide.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jb, I budgeted my self for 2 gals and I think ill just get 2 of both. I REALLY don't wanna run out mid spray. I plan on using PVA and using YD's HF pressure pot method that I found while browsing a thread.
This is how I full spray gel..

1. Get an el-cheapo Harbor Frieght 2 QT pressure pot ( NOT HVLP ).
2. Mix your gelcoat with 25ish % MEK Solvent ( Not the MEKP ) . Its kinda hard to tell how much you would thin because gelcoats are not All the same in viscosity. You want it kinda like tomato soup out of the can before you warm it up.
3. Have your surface all ready to go ( wiped down with acetone .. masked off etc. ).
4. Suit up good. Respo,suit,gloves,goggles with the holes taped up.
5. Have a box of powdered latex gloves, A few gals of acetone, cups , stir sticks, rags, a brush ( for clean up ).
6. Mix up your gel ( approx 10 CC per quart ).
7. put that in your pressure pot and start shooting away. Use side to side spray patterns. Release the trigger at the ends of the swipe. Basically you pull the trigger all the way back when you start your first motion...then release the trigger stopping the fluid ( keep the air still going just not the fluid )..then pull the trigger when coming back on your pass.
8. When you run out of gel.. open the pot up and put a few cups of acetone in there..flush it.
9. mix some more gel and do that over and over untill you have a good couple thick coats on there.
10. Clean your gun well with acetone. When flushing the gun you want to turn off the air leading to your GUN. you should only have a pee stream comeing from the tip of your gun when flushing ( You will need to have a "cheater" valve hooked to the bottom end of the gun itself for adjusting the air pressure to full off at the gun). Its hard to explain .. Ill take some pics of my gun setup so you know what im talking about.
11. wait untill the gel is tacky to the finger but does not pull off..then spray over the gelcoat with PVA (Polyvinyl alcohol).
12.let cure for a day. .. Rinse off with water and start your sanding steps ( Dry or wet-dry is does not matter ).
13.Buff out.

I would suggest that you play with your gun with water to kinda get used to it before you shoot . rinse out with acetone when your done playing around.

Oh..and after your done flushing the gun with acetone..before you spray your PVA .. Flush the gun with WATER !. Then spray your PVA..then flush it again with WATER...then final flush with acetone. PVA and acetone turns to SNOT .

The reason I never release the trigger all the way while spraying ( shutting down the fluid but not the air ) is because if a chunck gets jammed up in the needle while the air is off you will get a solid stream of gelcoat coming out..NOT good lol.

Its really not that hard..but its hard to explain in full detail with all the tricks and stuff..sorry..

Any questions just fire away..

YD.

also, has anybody heard of or used this stuff? Thinking I might do my trailer with it.

Metal Mask: Marine-Paint.com POR-15 Coatings

jbcurt00

Staff member

The POR15 I've seen used wasn't that, but I've never heard of anyone that followed the prep & application instructions having any trouble w/ the product line....

Andgott is restoring a 60's Ford truck to tow his Lake & Sea, and used the POR15 on the truck build...

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bounced around all weekend finishing up little projects around the house and began work on the cap. I got the motor to fire with minimal trouble, gonna need the carbs rebuilt for sure but it was firing on all 3 cylinders.Started with 40grit on the DA but it just wasn't cutting through all that sparkle with any sense of urgency, so I went after it with the grinder and the 36grit flappers. Still have to hit all again with the DA to level out some spots where I went to deep with grinder. still have to figure out how to get into the spots around the hatches and some of the corners where I couldn't get with grinder or DA. I was thinking either a wire wheel or get ready to cringe possibly the sand blaster.Open to all suggestions on this one.
IMG_0080 (800x600).jpgIMG_0079 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0079 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0079 (800x600).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0080 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0080 (800x600).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So this weekend was a complete bust.Between the cold and the rain/sleet storm on Friday I did almost no work on the boat.I did sand down the motor hood but I didn't feel as though it was a large enough accomplishment to warrant a picture. I know I have been dragging my tail on this one but my us composites order should be getting placed on the 1st. My wife seems to think bills are more important than boat parts, go figure. :laugh: My brother volunteered his garage for any glass work that I cant do in the cold. That's about all I have for now, Next weekends task I think is gonna be separating the lower unit from the motor and begin sanding the motor for paint.

EDIT: Forgot about this masterpiece I made the other night, Im quite proud of it
IMG_0068 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Keeping a hand on the project & making even small progress is still moving it along........ little by little.........

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm enjoying seeing your progress. You're far further along with yours than I am with mine. It's especially interesting to me since we started our projects around the same time and live only an hour or so away from one another.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and the line going through the E on your masterpiece photo gave the adolescent humor in me a great chuckle.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and the line going through the E on your masterpiece photo gave the adolescent humor in me a great chuckle.

I hadn't noticed that until now, tried to stay serious up until the point i read it as a sentence.

I browse alot of restos and had noticed that I seemed to moving along at an accelerated pace. Alot of it I think has to do with it only being a lil 14 footer. But on second thought, :peep: As much as I like having my wife home, It does give me many uninterupted hours of work.(This is never to be mentioned to any one. EVER :spy: )

But with your driveway cleaned up and ready to start work I'm sure you'll be caught up in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.