1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Jigngrub is right about the leveling...It's SOOOO important. Your level is fine but I'd find a cheap 4 footer. The longer the level, the more accurate the average will be over a longer span(2x4's may be straight enough but you may need to check stringers later.. Check your level on the deck, stringers, etc. as you go like jigngrub suggested. Lookin' good!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Alright. Thaks jc. I'm workin her right now. Still trying to get a few more things set up. I'm gonna go pick up one of those 4 footers tomorrow. Untill then, I think it's about as level as I can get it. I took level readings in as many different flat spots as I could and they all turned out to be pretty close to each other and all within the lines. But I agree with you about a longer area level for sure.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. Thanks again you guys for the added information. I took as many measurments of the hull as possible and then decided on the areas I would install my cross braces. I cut the braces, and built the bow shoring brace and got everything installed. I could only find one good c-clamp to use for the shoring brace because I found tonight that I had converted one of the pair into a dirtbike valve spring compressor. I ended up using a very small one for the other side as a temp. I will have to pick up another bigger one tomorrow because I just don't trust it to hold.
I didn't get to any cutting tonight so if there is anything else that I have missed, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks again.

20131103_173817.jpg20131103_173908.jpg20131103_175835.jpg20131103_182925.jpg

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

I noticed that you found my old bottle of Coppertone, was wondering where it went, or was it your's. :laugh: Thanks for the transom pic update. I sure hope mine isn't attached like that. Do you think it was done during production or maybe someone else did it for some unknown reason? My limited knowledge and what I have read on the forum so far, has only given me the idea that the cap was usually attached to the hull along the sides with screws or rivets, with the rub rail hiding those; and then the transom area and cap was just "sealed" along the top edge. I have on comment on what jigngrub wrote: " if he suggests it do it." You might also check how Gus over at GT1 did his cross bracing. Looking good so far....dam...I wish I had your garage. lol.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forget what I said about GT1's cross bracing....your's looks great. Somehow the last few posts weren't showing when I made my comment; :sorry: and what my line about jigngrub should have said was, "I have one comment on what jigngrub wrote: "if he suggests it - do it." I will be watching......:behindsofa:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah , the coppertone find was cool. I had to post a pic of it. It was under the fuel tank. That tank was a tight fit too. They would have almost had to install the tank right over the top of it back in 1990 when the rebuilt the boat the first time, ha!
The transom at least has been re-built to answer that question for ya. I dont think that it was tabbed in like that to begin with. But I could be wrong. The glass work from the transom to the stringers had a completely different color and everything. It is pretty obvious that it has been worked.
I wish I could have done some work on the boat last night but I spent a lot of time after work trying to get necessary stuff for the garage. I went and picked up a propane tank, convection heater and a carbon monoxide alarm. I am going to need a source of heat in there starting now. The temps here just finally dropped below freezing and I woke up to snow on the cars and driveway this morning. So I test ran the heater last night while I was digging for my riveter that I can't locate. That thing about drove me out of there. It was probably 85 in there in about 45 minutes. It likes the propane though.
I'm going to try to get something done on it tonight though. Maybe get some of the floor and foam out. Thanks for posting man!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just becareful brother. If I remember correctly, resin doesn't like fire. :flame: I plan on running a couple kerosien heaters when I get to the point I need to start fiberglassing, and then turning them off before I start mixing the resin. I don't believe I will have the "cold" problem you have, it was almost 70 here today. The amazing thing about all this info and help on the forum, is I come up with more ideas everytime I follow along on someone else's thread. Keep up the good work.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Howdy maryhannaj...
First off I want to thank you and the others that have posted on here for their service...irregardless of branch, I consider you all my brothers...I did a stint in the Air Force during the Reagan years...Ground pounding, dirt munching, M-16/203 hauling, world traveling Security Police...
Been meaning to come aboard and give you kudos for the awesome project you have taken on and what excellent progress you have made so far...
Been getting all caught up on what you got going on...
Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your best friend...several years ago when I lost mine to cancer at the way too young age of 5-1/2, I have been too heart broken to get another...maybe someday when the wound heals...
I am very impressed with your over engineering skills and everything you have done so far is top notch...
Keep up the great progress and if there is anything I can help with, just holler.
Best of luck and keep having Fun!
GT1M:D

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone. Thanks for the posts. Daniel, yes, I agree with you about resins love of flame. I am going to try and build a tall box and line it with some of that high heat metal type insulation and install in it some heater vents like the ones they put in the floor or wall in homes. Not a perfect fix, but I have to be able to keep the temps up while the resin is trying to kick off. Thanks for the heads up though man!
GT1M. Tanks for joining in on my project here. With everyone's help it's really like it's much more a group project. Thank you sir for your service! And my condolences for your loss as well. I still dont quite know how to deal with that loss. Most definatly a true best friend. I also thank you for your compliment on my work so far, but as I said it has been much more of a group project. This community is a dang gold mines worth of knowledge in my opinion and I could not have made it to this point alone without the very much needed advice, opinions and help of those good members so willing to offer it.
I think it's great that you would like to come along with us on this project. Please do follow, and please also share with me and anyone else who may be reading along anything that you think or know can, or will help. All advice and opinions are welcome and thanks again .

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. So here is what got accomplished today. I managed to do a lot of destruction, mess making and making of mistakes that will add to my workload, cost more bread and create more work when it comes time to start building back up again.
Jc my friend, I wish I would have broke a couple of screws. Not demeaning anything in your expreiences but at least you didnt manage to cut a 6 inch gash completely through your hull with a circular saw!:eek: At least not that your owning up to, ha-ha!
Why was I using a circular saw some may be asking themselves. Well, here's why. Because I managed to burn up my NEW rotozip saw and my jig-saw that didnt seem to agree with cutting through a fine mixture of resin soaked wood, coated with fiberglass and the occasional nail. And even before I could finish cutting the floor out, guess what, I burned up the circular saw too! Did I mention the part where I was digging nasty waterlogged foam out of the floatation cells and I bent, yes bent my favorite flat nose shovel that just happens to work perfectly for digging grass from underneath the fence line.:facepalm:

Ok. Really now that I'm finished crying and complaining, I actually feel very good about the work I did manage to get accomplished. First I got the shovel which did actually work quite nicely and spent some time digging the foam out of the cells and getting it all smashed into the garbage can. I'm happy tonight is take the cans out night because there was a lot of foam in those two cells. I was actually very surprised. I thought that stuff was suppose to expand when you install it, not when you remove it.:laugh:

20131105_162611.jpg

After that, I got all the tools set up and got suited up for my big day. I even got my baby girl to get a picture of me all dressed up for the occasion.

20131105_180639.jpg

Then I drilled a few pilot holes to try and find the shallow spots in the deck, which didn't really quite work as planned, obviously. And then I started cutting. And three cutting type devices later, this is where I ended up. Please take note of the flotation that had been set in the floor before installing the deck on this boats last rebuild go-round. It was literally just layed in there. I dont think this is the way they do it. Is it?

20131105_203902.jpg20131105_212030.jpg20131105_212057.jpg

Then I was just right worn out, to be quite honest. So I vacumed and swept everything the best I could for the night and called it quits. I think I'm gonna build a dust shelter tomorrow. Thanks everyone. Feel free to add in or even just plain old poke some fun. That's what it's all about anyways, right?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

6" gash? That's all...geez that doesn't even qualify as a rookie mistake, heck on my tub I installed at least a total of 3, maybe 4 feet of high speed water intakes...:laugh:

Just keep telling yourself, Demolition is fun...oh, and be sure to have baby powder on hand when the glass grinding begins...;)

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

High speed water intakes. I love it. Great terminology!:laugh: Thanks for the words of encouragement on that one GT1M. And thanks for the tip on the baby powder.
Does that really help?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lol...that's the beauty of fiberglass, with a well done repair, you'll never be able to tell. I used a sawzall only, but never adjusted blade depth to greater than decking thickness. Drill spade bit pilot holes, checking depths, and mark a cut line bow to stern. It's all good man, looking good!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Baby powder, YES!
If you literally rub yourself down with it, not necessary everywhere, but hands, arms, face and neck...any place that might get exposed while grinding...rub it on till you look like a ghost...
What it does is fill your pores with baby powder instead of fine particles of fiberglass dust which will make you itch like crazy...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

That is pretty funny isn't jc. After I read your and GT1M's posts earlier today. I double checked my sawsall for adjustment height and I don't think it has one. That really doesn't make much sense to me at all so I'll see if I just missed something. I had to have.
Hey GT1M, I'm gonna use the baby powder trick before I even think again about doing any more cutting. I worked with glass on a somewhat limited level for three years as a job building aircraft parts and never even one single time heard that mentioned as a trick of the trade. Can you beleive that? It makes absolute sense and thanks again for the tip.
I didn't get even one thing done on the boat at all today. I feel kind of empty about it. I was going to try and at least get a dust shelter built but I spent a great portion of the day at the dealership trying to buy a truck. I'm pretty excited about it but I couldn't quite get myself to sign the line. They let me take it home for the night though. Pretty nice of them I think. But they also really want me to buy it as well. Kinda just works like that I suppose. Oh well, even if I decide not to go with it, I at least got to have it for one night. Kinda like a, well you know what?:laugh:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone. I've been looking at small electric grinders in the 4.5 inch disc diameter variety for grinding the hull with. Can you guys give me some suggestions on a decent brand of grinder to get this job done. Especially which ones to stay away from. I also need some info on what brand, type and cut of disc to use and if they gum up real bad or I can get just a few to get the job done.
I have also spent some time looking at different tools for seperating the stringers from the hull leaving them somewhat intact and also seperating what's left of the floor from the sides where there is such a tight cutting angle. Underneath that bit of remaining floor there is almost no room for a blade to cut through the edges without further damaging the hull.
Any other little secrets or suggestions as to stripping and prepping it would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks freinds!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Got a harbor freight nearby. Grinding on a fiberglass hull is going to be tough on a grinder. I wouldn't want to buy a $150 grinder, I'd rather burn thru a few $19 HF ones. I think you can get a low cost warranty for free replacements @HF too...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I can be at Harbor Freight in about 20 minutes in one of 2 directions. What do you think about discs types, grits, thicknesses and how many I should pick up while I'm there jbcurt00? Any other sipplies you might suggest?

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys. This is what I've been doing for the last few days. Check out my new tow vehicle. I know, it's not American made but I fell in love with it the first time I drove it. It handles tight, it will pull anything I'll ever own with ease, has a crap load of power, tons of room for my family and I got a smokin deal on it!
I know it's off subject and I apologize for that. But I have to provide some kind of excuse for neglecting my restoration priorities.

20131106_170846(1).jpg20131106_170832(1).jpg20131106_170922(1).jpg20131106_170941(1).jpg