1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Hopefully you measured/marked the original deck line on the hull. If so then you'll use this as your reference for the height of your stringers. The glass you add tot he top of the stringers will add only about 1/8" max to them so not much to worry about there. I wouldn't worry about beveling the bottom of the stringers to match the angle of the hull. the PB bedding will take care of that. When the time comes for installation we'll help you with how to install them and get them to the proper height. There are jigs you can fabricate to make the job fairly easy. Here's and example of one... I think you'll get the idea.
stringerBraces.jpg

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's exactly how I did it as in the pic above. Boats are not perfect but you can get your deck and stringers perfect as in the pic above. Circular saw set at the right angle can cut a matching stringer to hull angle...even on a tapered stringer.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

It's been a while GT1M. I hope things have been going well for you. I really like your idea about running the glass over everything after the stringers etc... have been glassed in. I honestly didn't even consider doing it that way before you mentioned it. I just thought it would be easier to lay it all out before any structure was in the way. I think I'll go about it your way instead.
Tell me, would it not also be better to lay it in after the stringers and cross braces are in for the purpose of the structure having the hull in it's proper form and less prone to flex while such a large area of glass work is setting up? I hope that makes sense.
I'm just still trying to get my head wrapped around a proper plan of action.

Thanks MHJ, things are going good...been busy on my buddy's boat last few weeks...long story, short...trying to get the electrical systems back from the the dead {boat sank}...my spare time has been spent on that while waiting for some more green to sprout on the moola bush for my foam...
Yeah, as far as how I did the over wrap of 1708, I am really pleased with the amount of stiffness it introduced to the hull...Obviously I did it in several sections, as it would be darn near impossible to cover everything at once...
Here is a couple pics of when I was pre-cutting pieces of 1708 just prior to glassing them in...just in case, my overlaps were about 3-4"

Once you get to point of actually adding a layer of 1708 over everything, and have all your pieces cut out and Clearly Labeled, it will start to make sense where to start and where to end...

And that "plan of action" is always evolving and sometimes more elusive than trying to photograph a Sasquatch...:facepalm::rolleyes::D

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey woodonglass. Thanks for the workup drawing on the stringer jig. That's exactly what I'm talking about when I mentioned "other ideas I haven't thought of yet". That drawing solved a big issue for me. What a great tool!
As for the measurments on the floor, this is what I did...I hope you noticed my pictures of how I cross braced the hull before I cut the floor up. The reason I say that is because I used the cross braces themselves to make the floor hieght measurments. I marked them each in three spots, one above the starboard most side of the floor, one in the center above the the keel and one above the port most side of the floor.
From there I measured from the top of the board on each of the marked spots down to the floor and wrote the measurment on the board itself. The measurment above the open keel area was for the purpose of checking for hull shift. The measurments did vary a small amount even before I cut the floor out, but this could also be credited to the boards not being straight as well.
Now with the use of the stringer jig you drew up for me, I should be able to make three of them and place them directly beneath the brace boards, line the stringers up according to their cross measurments, shim them up somehow to the correct height and backfill underneath them with whatever you guys tell me I'm supposed to use to secure the stringers and cross braces to the hull with. Is this the correct method?

I would actually prefer your method Jc, in referance to cutting the stringers to match the exact contour of the hull. That just seems to me like the best method to me for satisfying my OCD.:laugh: However, I don't trust myself enough to cut the bevels into the bottom of the stringers when the wood, resin and effort to make them is so timely, expensive and could be so quickly ruined. Also, cutting the angle of the bevel to fit the hull would be very difficult in the case of this particular boat. It changes angles frequently and they would each have to be match fitted with a router or something to fit perfectly. I really want it done that way but I just don't think I would get good results.
The changing angle may very well be the exact reason why the existing stringers also weren't match fitted. Who knows? Would the manufacturer cut them flat like that? I do have to say that there is no way I will be leaving the gaps underneath of the stringers that were there when I took them out. That just makes no sense to me and seems like the job was rushed or done by someone who is lazy. And like I mentioned before, there was literally standing water underneath in the gaps.

Good to hear things are alright for ya GT1M. I hope you get the wiring figured out. Thanks for the pics of the lay-up process you used. I have to say I'm a bit confused as to your method.
I noticed that you had your stringers installed in the first pic with one smaller layer of 1708 overlay running the length of the stringers. Then in the next pic you had what looked like a larger layer completely covering all three stringers with again another smaller layer over the the stringers on top of that.
I was under the impression from a few of the other threads that the layers should be layed over the stringers as one layer on each side of the stringer to cover the sides down to the hull, one layer covering the complete stringer and overlapping the first side layers, then once more again overlapping even further over the first two. Is that the way you did it, but I just can't see in the pic because it's covered? Or does each type of hull and stringer require a different method?
Please beleive that I'm not criticizing your work, I'm just as we have mentioned "trying to figure out the best method". I also beleive that there can also be more than one way to acheive the proper result.

I also have a few more questions that I have thought up...
I can understand for sure the purpose for building the transom and sole out of some type of marine grade plywood but, as for the stringers and cross braces, is it really necessary to use such a high grade of plywood to build them with when they are going to be completely wiped down and soaked in resin and sealed within resin soaked layers of glass and covered in foam, bilge paint and a glassed in floor?
As for that question, yes I am trying to find ways to save a bit of money. However, I will also go the other way with it if it's completely necessary. I do want to do a good job.

As for building the stringers. If made of plywood rather than long complete strips of hardwood...plywood will come in the usual 4x8 sheets. If I remember my measurments correctly, my stringers will need to be about 14 feet long. I will obviously need to cut them out of two sheets of plywood. What is the best method for conjoining two lengths of stringer together to make the one required peice. Would a dovetail connection work? I hope I'm using the right terminology when I say "dovetail" for explaining what I mean. I hope that makes sense to you guys?
Or is there a better way? This is kind of why I would also like to use single lengths of hardwood for the stringers and cross braces. I have seen them for sale in the building and home supply stores too. That is also what the existing stringers are made of, they just weren't sealed and treated properly.
Has anyone used the single peice hardwood method rather than the plywood method? If so, how was your experience with it, and how is it holding up for you?
Thanks again to everyone and I look forward to hearing from you.:)

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. I also hate to ask this question here, and I have tried not to, but I just have to. So I am sorry. If anyone has any of the proper necessary materials or glass that's just sitting around and taking up space, I am more then happy to try and come to some kind of adoption agreement with you to give it a new home. If so, please PM me about it. Thanks all!:)
Again, to whomever it may concern. Sorry.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

As for building the stringers. If made of plywood rather than long complete strips of hardwood...plywood will come in the usual 4x8 sheets. If I remember my measurments correctly, my stringers will need to be about 14 feet long. I will obviously need to cut them out of two sheets of plywood. What is the best method for conjoining two lengths of stringer together to make the one required peice. Would a dovetail connection work? I hope I'm using the right terminology when I say "dovetail" for explaining what I mean. I hope that makes sense to you guys?
Or is there a better way? This is kind of why I would also like to use single lengths of hardwood for the stringers and cross braces. I have seen them for sale in the building and home supply stores too. That is also what the existing stringers are made of, they just weren't sealed and treated properly.
Has anyone used the single peice hardwood method rather than the plywood method? If so, how was your experience with it, and how is it holding up for you?

This is how you make a 16' long laminated plywood stringer:

You can make it any thickness you want, 2 pieces of 3/8" plywood laid on top of each other will make a 3/4" thick stringer... 2 pieces of 1/2" will make a one incher and so on.

Bond them together with PL Premium adhesive or peanut butter, clamp or screw them together until the adhesive sets and cures. You'll get a nice straight stringer that'll resist warping, twisting, cupping, and bowing and it'll be stronger than one piece of dimensional lumber.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

mhj with my center stringer i used 1/2 inch aruoco plywood and overlap/laminate the boards together i cant remeber for sure but i think i was told an 8 in overlap was acceptable buti believe i overlapped 12 inches and staggered the joints

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sorry MHJ,
The pic is a bit more confusing than I thought...let me try to explain...
Before any of the cloth was laid out, I had PB'd the stringers in and tabbed them in with a layer of 1.5oz. CSM, approximately 2-4" up on each side of the stringer and down to the hull, depending on the height of the stringer...very similar to "Woodonglass" "how to" drawing...
Then I tabbed them all in with 1708, same as the CSM, only one more inch wider, or so...
All of the above was done a few days/weeks prior to the application of the 1708 layer, which also meant I had to give the entire interior surface of the hull a good once over with some sanding tools and a wipe down with Acetone, because the previous stuff had pretty much cured and I needed to open up the pores again for good adhesion...
Finally, all that cloth [1708], you see in the two pics is just one layer that I basically laid over everything to create one continuous layer, from gunwale to gunwale...the reason for the overlaps is because of the huge area to cover would have been impossible in fell swoop, so I just did it a section at a time, overlapping the next section over the previous by the 3-4".
I hope that makes more sense, if not, let me know and I'll try to clear it up...:becky:

Sent you a PM...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

JNG is correct for your stringers. I'd use 1/2" ACX but I'd just use Titebond III wood glue to glue em together. This is an edge view of what he drew up... this is for a 12' stringer.

12ftStringer.jpg

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks you guys for the answers on the stringers. I have a whole new issue here to deal with now. I managed to get the transom board removed tonight. The problem is that the entire fiberglass section of the transom had been replaced before and pretty much just delaminated and fell off when I removed the wood portion. It's a complete mess.:faint2:
So next few questions. Can this be repaired? How would you do it if so? Is It worth it or should I just start looking at other options for hulls?

DSC_0063.jpgDSC_0066.JPG

I could really use some serious guidance on this one guys. Thanks all!

jc55

If it were me, I would build the transom on the bench in the conventional manner, all ready to go. Clean up the skin you removed and get to that later. The skin can be glued on the transom later, edges scarfed and filled. Install the transom now using the skin as a guide (side to side, top to bottom) to ensure that the boat hasn't "relaxed". When dry fitting, I would drill holes through the outer skins into the transom and use screws as memory marks so that everything lines up during the actual install(holes are easy to patch)

I bought this book. It has the exact repair you speak of with skin removed...
fibreglass-boat-repairs-manual.jpg

You have to get everything set the way it was. Professional car builders place the body on and off several times to get the fit right during various stages of the build. I'm sure some will argue, but taking the cap off, restoring the boat, then putting the cap back on is a huge roll of the dice. I would prepare to do another fit of the cap during the transom's dress rehearsal.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

No biggie, you can do it like jc55 said...
OR...
You can re-attach it to the hull first, then install the transom plate...
Either way will work...
Just make sure everything is in the right place before making anything permanent...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

The only problem with re attaching the old piece is that it is severely delaminated. A lot of it just fell apart as I was removing the wood section. So basically there is a large gap of crappy filler glass around the edges of what looks like a pre made panel that was half A bonded to the wood itself after the wood section was mounted in place. And the old delaminated section is thick in some spots, then thin and peeled down in others.
I'm going to see if I can look up that book too jc. Thanks for the pic.
Thanks to both of you!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

In that case, install the transom plate with some tabbing to the inside of the hull...just make a temporary support system to hold everything in place, while you tab it in, then remove, finish tabbing and laminating.
Then, when it is in nice and solid, you can build up a new outer skin by using several layers of CSM/1708.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just think MHJ, you were running that boat all around the lake a putting her through the paces... it's a wonder she stayed in one piece and didn't sink to the bottom.

I notice in your last 5 or 6 posts you keep asking if you should junk the hull, do you feel you've bitten off more than you can chew?

If you do junk the hull what makes you think you'll get one in any better shape? Old fiberglass boats are all the same, especially the ones without motors (donor boats) and the ones with burnt up motors too. They've all been sitting neglected for too long, and if you do buy one of these hulls you'll need to take it apart to check and see what you have.

You've already got most of the hard work done on this one, and to start over on another one would mean you've been wasting your time on this one.

If you do decide to junk this hull, I would strongly suggest going with an aluminum hull that can handle your motor. You'll still probably have to dig out and replace wet foam, rotten decking, and a rotten transom... but all that is much easier and cheaper than working on fiberglass.

What were you thinking when you bought a fiberglass boat anyway???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually, In many Marina's this is the method used to replace rotted transoms. Cutting away the outer skin to get to the rotted wood and then glassing the cut-out glass back in. The strength of the transom comes from the inside laminations to the hull with some additional from the outer. You can get a good sound solid transom again if you grind and follow good Fiberglass layup procedures. We'll get you through it and give you the methods you need to have a successful outcome. I'm going to recommend that you do the transom install using Vinylester resin. It's a bit stronger. I know this is stressful and worrisome but...actually it really is not that big of a deal. When you're done you're boat will be as good if not better than new and will last for decades. You will just need to be meticulous in your methods and follow instructions to the "T" and you'll be fine.;)

You can start on the outer skin cut out piece and grind both inside and outside surfaces along the edges back 6" and feather to the edge to a sharp knife edge. When done it should look like this all way around...

FeatheredEdges.jpg

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey GT1M. That's what I'm thinking I'll be doing. It just makes the best sense. I have also come to realize something else. When this was done before, I don't think they installed the transom and flotation plods together the way they should have been. I also think that they left out two short stringer sections as well. I can only assume this though just by looking at the design of the bottom of the hull. I think that there were originally two more stringers outboard of the ones that I have removed and that they were attached into the flotation pods on the bottom. The transom would have also been tied into these stringers and the flotation pods. I really don't know for sure though.
However, I think I will try to tie it all in this way when it goes back together.

Jigngrub. More than I can chew, yes. But that doesn't mean to say that I can't spit it out and cut it up.:laugh: and you're right about putting it through the paces too. I think back on pushing that thing through 40 mph, 45 degree turns just to see if it will do it. I like to think right now that I'm fortunate to even be here.
I spent about 4 fun hours tonight grinding on the thing so I guess im not ready to give up yet. I have also already considered exactly what you said about just starting all over with a whole seperate set of problems. At least with this one, I know more what I'm workin with. I bought fiberglass because I didn't know thing one about boats either. This is my first one. And hey, I got a screamin deal on this one, so I thought!:eek:

Woodonglass. Thanks for the drawing. My best freind works in composites for a living and he sent me a few drawings last night just like that one. The fabricated panel that fell off with the transom actually had a sizeable gap all of the way around it and wasn't attached in that manner at all. In fact, the cut out area on the hull itself is about 3/8 inch away from the 45 degree angle that connects to the pod area so using that type of a connection will be very difficult. All I can really see at this point will be to lay in the entire back section out past where it goes through it's 45 degree angle. I will get you guys some better pics.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I don't like to quit, and I don't think I'm ready to just yet. Besides, I just like this dang boat. I like to beleive that if it held up and handled as well as it did with it being this wounded, that maybe there really is room for improvement if done the right way.
Thanks again!:)

jc55

Boats are like women...you just gotta deal with one problem at a time:). Ya MHj, I think you just have to compartmentalize. Any resto can be completely overwhelming when you think about the absolute junk we take on, lol. I can't believe the crap that people restore on here - me included.

I'm just now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel but there were some dark days! A gallon of gas and a match, type of days. Every project has 'em. You've bought some great tools and have been meticulous about your set up. Maybe take a day off with the family and just blow off some steam? I can send you that book to borrow for as long as you like - I'm, going aluminum next!!! haha.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks jc. Compartmentalize for sure man. I just happen to be in the grind everything out of the hull compartment. I have about 8 maybe 10 hours of grinding in and I've only made it about 6 feet along the port side where the floor was tabbed into the hull. The resin and glass build up along the edges is about an inch thick in some spots. I am trying to get it ground down to the hull with no extra build up in place. I just feel like it's the right way to do it and all of this extra resin and glass that's just been piled on over time has to add some weight to the hull. Once I get through this part, I will feel a lot better about the whole thing I think. Untill then, I guess this is just gonna have to be called the "this part of the restore sucks compartment".:blue:
I swear its gonna just have to take more time than I had planned that it would. I think that was truly my first mistake with this whole thing though. That is, thinking I can plan on something with which I have no experience and so many unforeseeable issues.
As for the book, thank you so much for the offer man. It truly means a lot. But, I will have to try and find a copy around here at one of the local bookstores before I trouble you with shipping yours to me. But once again, it means a lot, so thank you!:)

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey all. Another question on the stringers and such. I had a thought to build the transom and stringers out of 1/2 inch Baltic birch. The crossmembers, flotation pods and possibly the floor as well. Of course the transom would be 3 pieces laminated rather than the two 3/4 inch peices. I spoke with a rep for a specialy lumber and plywood company rep about it and he told me that the baltic birch plywood is also water resistant. And obviously for cost reasons as well. Plus I can just drive down and pick it up.
The reason I say 1/2 is for the purpose of reducing weight. My thought is that I could run a 3/4 inch strip of trim along the top and bottom of the 1/2 stringer like a floor joist for added strength and possibly even hole saw a number of holes in some spots throughout the stringer and then fill them with polystyrene insulation patches before encasing them in a thin layer of glass. Again, just for the purpose of weight rediction. I know I will probably get some negative criticism but that's ok. I would just appreciate it being given on basis of fact rather then just because it may be other than the normal. Besides, some of the structure in this boat was built with 3/4 inch plywood in areas that I just don't see the sense for, such as the floor panels and flotation pods. Is it completely necessary or just plain overkill?
I guess I just dont understand why that thick of plywood paneling would be used to retain foam. Or even be used in the floor when there will be structure and foam layed underneath of it.
Either way, all opinions are welcome. Thanks all.