1980 Skandia Center Console Resto!

OK, here it goes. Like most guys on this forum I have spent a ton of time researching past restorations and have nothing but thanks for the wealth of information people have posted. Last spring I purchased a 1980 19'6" Skandia CC with a '98 yammy 115 saltwater series outboard with the intention of fixing her up a little and hitting the water. After doing my research on iboats I was able to get her in working order and had an awesome first summer fishing for the inshore species in and around georgia's sounds. There was still a ton of cosmetic issues with the boat as well as a floor that was usable but getting soft in the areas where anything was screwed or bolted down. (cc, leaning post, deck hatches ect.) Not to mention just about every painted surface was cracked or peeling and there are many many holes in the console itself and the cap. Thankfully I had the insight to stick my head down a deck hatch to check out the stringers before I purchased and was delighted to find that they were fiberglass! I'm not sure how common this is on a boat of this age but I certainly do appreciate the fact that I shouldn't have to replace them. This spring fueled by the inspiration gained from a winter of lurking on iboats I have decided to take on the task of replacing the floor and building some casting decks, plus rigging the motor/controls and wiring properly, you can see in the pics it was certainly not done right the first time. I am completely new to boat building/restoration and its gonna be a long road but I'm confident that I can make this happen and hopefully have a boat that I will be able to enjoy for years to come. As a side note if anyone knows anything at all about the company that made this boat, Skandia from Green Cove Springs FL I would love to know more. All I have to go off of is what the insurance company told me plus a spot near the back of the hull where you can see where an old sticker used to be. Thanks in advance for any input you guys have on this resto, lord knows I'm gonna have plenty of questions as this project takes shape! Hope you enjoy.

Here is what I have done so far, I'm hoping to god taking this thing apart is harder than getting it back together! It has taken an angle grinder with a metal masonry wheel and a a couple circular saw blades to get this far. Any suggestions on a better blade for the angle grinder would be appreciated. Also the whole deck was supported by 2x4's very closely spaced and 3/4" ply with about a 1/4" of laminate on top would rebuilding the floor with less support and 1/2" ply be feasible? The boat is a little underpowered with the 115 and I'm thinking this could be a good way to save some pounds. let me know what you think.

http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af264/ralphtheabnrgr/1980 Skandia CC Resto/

Re: 1980 Skandia Center Console Resto!

one more thing to add, I like reading a post and being able to see the pics right on the forum, I have not been able to figure out how to attatch a pic yet though. The images are not too large but I get denied when I try to post them, for now photobucket will have to do.

http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums...a CC Resto/?action=view&current=Photo0064.jpg

the latest progress...I have a few questions though, I plan on replacing the dash section with starboard, how do I finish the edges? can I torch it like plexi or do I have to sand and sand? What do you guys think about a below deck fuel tank on a boat of this style? Since I have the floor off I was considering it but the above deck tank is so easy to service and inspect, just looking for input and or experiences. more pics to come!

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweet boat! looks like you are already making good progress, should be a fun project.

hah...figures there was instructions already posted I dont know how I managed to miss em. Been crankin away at her yesterday and today so I should have some more progress to report soon! Thanks for the instructions.

jonesg

Admiral

Your pics need re-sizing smaller. I uploaded one but it was too big.
Nice looking rig.
Where is the splashwell?

Inside the glass stringers you'll find wood.:mad:
Drill a test hole and inspect the wood chips, the danger areas are closer to the transom, rot often starts there. I'd drill the lower transom too, fill holes with 5200 by 3M.

A sawzall is handy for cutting glasswork, grinders throw a ton of dust up.
Circular saw is fast too but stay away from the hull.

IMG_0069.jpg

ok I got this figured out, this is the boat shortly after I bought it last yr after removing all of the useless crap that was bolted, screwed and glued to it over the years

IMG_0072.jpg

from the stern

IMG_0071.jpg

the inside prior to destruction

Photo0048.jpg

here it is with the deck almost all of the way off

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...0 Skandia CC Resto/Photo0064.jpg?t=1272419602

the center console after rediculous amounts of sanding

Photo0070.jpg

and finally I got bored of sanding constantly and decided to fit the dash and console doors for a change of pace, still struggling with how to finish the edges of starboard, even 150 grit sand paper leaves a fine fuzzy look and feel I'm all ears on this one.

splashwell? didn't have one on there just deck drainage holes that didn't drain to the bilge, I plan on building a rear casting deck/storage/rigging space so I will probably incorperate a splashwell or just leave it open and let it drain through the holes that are already there. As for the stringers, I'll post a pic asap but they are about 1/2" thick and 6" tall and solid fiberglass, the support structure for the floor was bolted and siliconed to them and its glass all the way thru. Thanks for the input so far guys

jonesg

Admiral

Well its self bailing but the drain holes are inadequate , there should be 2 holes on each side and you have to have a splashwell wall, its obviously gone missing. My boat was the same when I got it. I made one from plywood.
Because you have those 2 boxes on each side all you need is a sheet to block the gap, modern boats do it that way.

Volvo075.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

here is the latest progress, I have yet to cut out the rest of the deck in the bow and stern but I removed all of the cross members and started prying the wood that supported the deck from the stringers. I havent seen a boat with this style stringers or with this support system on the board here and am wondering if this would be the way to support the new deck or is there another technique? I assume replacing it the way it was built would work considering it lasted thirty years. I do plan on coating all the wood under the new deck with epoxy resin to seal it and reinforcing the base of the stringers with more glass because they seem to have delaminated in a place or two

Photo0076.jpg

Photo0077.jpg

Photo0078.jpg

heres a few close ups of what I am working with for stringers

I'm still looking for any suggestions on how to finish the edges of the starboard that I'm using on the console(see previous posts) thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Typically a router is used to create a nice edge on Starboard type products.

jonesg

Admiral

I think you have a good plan, you "could" replace with composite stringers but they work out to about $10 per linear foot, then add epoxy resin and glass and its is expensive.!
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...prisma-composite-preforms-stringer-beams.html

Yours look like they held up very well and they aren't sealed ( the 2x4).

Heres a pic of my transom when I bought the boat, backsplash obviously missing. Not a good situation.

Attachments

• Volvo059.jpg
    Volvo059.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0

Made a little more progress today, all I have to now is pull the engine and finish grinding off the lip where the deck was glassed to the hull! thanks for the insight jones I think I'm just gonna stick with the old stringers and build them up a bit...I'm tryin to keep cost down a little and they seem like they have lost very little integrity over the years. I was surprised at the condition of the exposed wood under the whole thing to be honest I expected much worse particularly because there was about a foot of water in it when I bought it and it was kept in the water for most of its life. Heres the latest and greatest shots!

Photo0081.jpg

Its getting down to crunch time to order a fuel tank for this thing I would hate to have to slow my progress waiting on it to come in so what do you think belly tank or topside under the console? my main concern with tank placement is center of gravity if I put it under the deck it would be lower and probably reduce roll, theres not much anyways but I also think it might allow the boat to plane a bit easier at lower speeds I dont have the cash for a larger motor and with the 115 its a little underpowered so maybe a smart design could counter the lack of power a little? I could be thinking about this far too much theres got to be a marine engineer cruisin the board somewhere right?

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no marine engineer, but I would put it under the deck. It'll keep your center of gravity a little lower, and you will be able to use the area under your console for storage and access to wiring, gauges, etc.

I'm certainly leaning towards a below deck tank for both above deck storage and cg not to mention I can up the fuel capacty a bit and get to some of the near shore wrecks around here. Next question is does anyone know where to get one at a fair price? I'm thinking around 25-30 gal. for somewhere close to $200 that seems to be a bit lower than average and far cheaper than the quotes ive gotten for custom aluminum or SS tanks which are more like $400+

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey, nice looking rig. I'll be following along to see the progress. I'd like a center console this size in the future.

jonesg

Admiral

I'm certainly leaning towards a below deck tank for both above deck storage and cg not to mention I can up the fuel capacty a bit and get to some of the near shore wrecks around here. Next question is does anyone know where to get one at a fair price? I'm thinking around 25-30 gal. for somewhere close to $200 that seems to be a bit lower than average and far cheaper than the quotes ive gotten for custom aluminum or SS tanks which are more like $400+

Craigslist, I paid $100 for a 75 gal alum tank, almost brand new.
I see tanks all the time on craigsL.

If you are converting to below deck, it has to be vented with 4 inch vent hose ( looks like a clothes dryer vent hose) per coast guard regs.
Go across the deck ( beneath deck) and up the gunnel to external vents on the side of the hull or straight up and vent out the top of the console.
Vents cannot be inside the hull anywhere else.
Fill and vent lines also have to comply, cannot fill or vent inside the hull.
It kinda....complicates things.