1980 Skandia Center Console Resto!

Re: 1980 Skandia Center Console Resto!

Yeah I did a little research on how to lawfully install a below deck tank myself, plus I'm considering all of the rigging like the mounting hardware fill and vent hoses plus a new fuel line system and I'm still wavering on my decision because of cost. If I could find one on craigslist that would almost certainly seal the deal. My only issue with that is that I need a very thin long tank because there is only about 9 inches of vertical space below the deck with 3 more for clearance of the fittings. I guess I'll be cruising craigslist for a little while to see what I can come up with.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a heads up, you might want to look for saddle tanks from a jet boat. They seem to be longer/thinner. The only problem with that is that you would have to buy two of every fitting.

Also, here is a 36 gallon tank for 136$ Its only 8.5 inches deep and includes all of the fittings, sending unit etc. It says that you need an extra 2.5" inches of clearance.

http://www.fpmarine.com/images-website/P1040199.jpg

You have to scroll down a bit:

http://www.fpmarine.com/Fuel Tanks.htm

jonesg

Admiral

You can always raise your deck a couple of inches too.

so I didn't call flounder pounder marine in time to order that tank but it is first on my list when they open on mondy morning like I said that is the perfect capacity and well within the space I have to work with for length and width. If it is too close for comfort with the vertical clearance then like jones suggested I will raise the deck an inch or two. If you guys look back at the pics of the very peak of the v hull from the inside there is a hollow rib running the length of the hull it is thin and de-laminated from the hull in some places. I dont think it is important structurally and I want to remove it if I do I will have my extra space without raising the deck at all. The only purpose I think it serves is a clear path for water to drain from the bow towards the stern. If there is not going to be any holes forward of the console the question is take it out or leave it? If I leave it it will have to be re-glasses in and means more work/time/materials. Ive also recently taken apart the remote for my outboard...what a nightmare. Even with the seloc manual it has been one greasy mess. I am still cleaning all the old grease out of it and havent attempted to put it all back together, which the manual claims is the most difficult part. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears to make this as painless as possible. I have been taking pics before and after every little thing I disassembled so if anyone wants to see them let me know and I can post em. Hope everyone is having a good weekend back to work!

allright i'm back up and running with this resto sorry for the super long delay i was on vacation in afghanistan. I've got almost everything ground out including the egde of the deck and everything that has to be removed before i can start building so I'm almost at the turning point between tearing apart and building! You can see in some of the pictures that the fiberglass stringers are sperated from the hull in some places anyone got any thoughts on completely removing them vs. grinding the bad/seperated areas off and just glassing over the whole thing? I'm looking to save time and heartache of possibly cutting into the hull tring to seperate the spots that are still holding up. Thanks guys and sorry for the break in action to those of you that were looking to follow along.

New progress! Unfortunately the new progress includes the discovery of my rotten transom, when I purchased the boat i was able to look down in the bilge and do the "knock test" with a screw driver but...I was wrong. I thought I was just about ready to start re-building now Ive got even more questions about how to go about replacing the transom. Ive read all the threads and done my homework but these ones are boat specific. First off is there any way to do it without removing the cap? I'm working out of a garage at an apartment complex and space is limited. Second how should I remove the old wood from the exterior fiberglass if it wont just pry off? Heres the pics thanks guys! well I owe you one on the pics seems the process has changed since I posted last

lawson skandia

Recruit

OK, here it goes. Like most guys on this forum I have spent a ton of time researching past restorations and have nothing but thanks for the wealth of information people have posted. Last spring I purchased a 1980 19'6" Skandia CC with a '98 yammy 115 saltwater series outboard with the intention of fixing her up a little and hitting the water. After doing my research on iboats I was able to get her in working order and had an awesome first summer fishing for the inshore species in and around georgia's sounds. There was still a ton of cosmetic issues with the boat as well as a floor that was usable but getting soft in the areas where anything was screwed or bolted down. (cc, leaning post, deck hatches ect.) Not to mention just about every painted surface was cracked or peeling and there are many many holes in the console itself and the cap. Thankfully I had the insight to stick my head down a deck hatch to check out the stringers before I purchased and was delighted to find that they were fiberglass! I'm not sure how common this is on a boat of this age but I certainly do appreciate the fact that I shouldn't have to replace them. This spring fueled by the inspiration gained from a winter of lurking on iboats I have decided to take on the task of replacing the floor and building some casting decks, plus rigging the motor/controls and wiring properly, you can see in the pics it was certainly not done right the first time. I am completely new to boat building/restoration and its gonna be a long road but I'm confident that I can make this happen and hopefully have a boat that I will be able to enjoy for years to come. As a side note if anyone knows anything at all about the company that made this boat, Skandia from Green Cove Springs FL I would love to know more. All I have to go off of is what the insurance company told me plus a spot near the back of the hull where you can see where an old sticker used to be. Thanks in advance for any input you guys have on this resto, lord knows I'm gonna have plenty of questions as this project takes shape! Hope you enjoy.

Here is what I have done so far, I'm hoping to god taking this thing apart is harder than getting it back together! It has taken an angle grinder with a metal masonry wheel and a a couple circular saw blades to get this far. Any suggestions on a better blade for the angle grinder would be appreciated. Also the whole deck was supported by 2x4's very closely spaced and 3/4" ply with about a 1/4" of laminate on top would rebuilding the floor with less support and 1/2" ply be feasible? The boat is a little underpowered with the 115 and I'm thinking this could be a good way to save some pounds. let me know what you think.

1980 Skandia CC Resto Photos by ralphtheabnrgr | Photobucket
if you would like contact me i can tell you all about the man who made the mold for skandia in green cove my dad purchased the 1st one in the United States Lawson 9045565809