1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Hey, false alarm! The engine was getting hot on me with the muffs, threw it in a barrel, ran cool:cool:

I do believe I may have had an air pocket or something going on.

I took the Jupiter to the mechanic once because I thought it was overheating. I didn't have it far enough down into the bucket :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Very :confused:

Yeppers. I knew you wouldn't be sittin' on yer duff. :)

Oh yah, I'm just a smidge early here, the engine getting a heat stroke no doubt helped there.

I took the Jupiter to the mechanic once because I thought it was overheating. I didn't have it far enough down into the bucket :facepalm:

Man, I was in a bit of a panic with it overheating and the vacation just a few days away. I was on the fence with pulling it to the marine tech (major $$$$) or just leaving the boat behind. I'm psyched it was a freebee no big deal issue:D

So what did I learn on that?

I think, maybe, when I put the muffs on the engine, then turned on the water, I must have introduced air into the system (maybe).

When I jumped on iboats yesterday I found a thread that kinda talked about that happening. Wierd that I hadn't had that issue previously:confused:

Anyhow, I shot that video yesterday so here's me in confusion/nervous mode...

Well, I don't know, but running it in the big tub did the trick. Ran for about 30 minutes no issues;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So, catch up on the stuff I finished up...

For the bench seat back rest I bolted on tail gate cables that were actually made for an old CJ7...
P1100162.jpg

Here's the top side through bolted...
P1100161.jpg

I think that worked out well:)

Installed the VHF...
P1100148.jpg

Like it, easy to pull off (along with the Humm FF/GPS) to share with the Islander:thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here's how the snap in carpet turned out...
P1100153.jpg

P1100154.jpg

P1100155.jpg

I tried to give it just a little extra coolness factor with the embroidered SN logo there...
P1100158.jpg

Not hanging on iboats I found I wasn't working with the camera near by, so, I'll need to do some process shots when I run the carpet job on the Islander. Sorry about that!

All in all, I really pleased with how the boat turned out so far! With hindsight, I know I'd do a few things on the project a little differently, but not much. I'm sure there will be some tweeks/adjustments/improvements down the road too.

K, so, from here I need to give the boat a good cleaning (she's pretty dusty/dirty from sitting in the garage all winter) and prep for the long haul to the South Carolina low country.

I do hope I can post up some fishing shots for you guys next week, eh!:becky::thumb:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Looks amazing. I still think you hired some super-skilled handymen to come in a fix her up, you just take pictures and post. I can't prove that so I'll just say, supa fine job.

Don

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

She sure looks good! Heck of a job. The logo on the carpet is a sweet touch. Looking forward to some action shots while on vacation.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Excellent work.

Enjoy the product of your efforts next week! Congrats on finishing a great build.

Be sure to hose everything down real good when you get back & are away from the coast's salt air & water. Esp the fishing gear :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Doooood! Wow! Amazing! Definitely a Candidate for an Iboats Calendar Model! Sweet!

Hey, you gonna take it out for a shakedown cruise before road tripping?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Everything looks great ! Job well done ! Hope ya,ll have a great fun filled time . Looking forward to some pics and maybe a vid or two !
SP..

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

That carpet turned out killer awesome! I know what I'm doing now! I might need to take it to the same place too :D!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Wowza,......

The snap in carpet turned out way cool!!!

Looks great dood,........

64osby

Admiral

Looking sweeeeeeeet!

Glad the motor issue wasn't.

Grab the gear and go on vacation.:D

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Boat looks just fantastic, awesome job Jason, I had the same overheating issue with a 90 Evinrude overheating with muffs on, then put it in a tub of water and it ran fine, maybe just not enough constant water flow

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jason - You got plenty of work done during the hiatus. :D You done got a good looking :fish2:. And room for the family too. :thumb:

BonairII

Commander

Boat looks just fantastic, awesome job Jason, I had the same overheating issue with a 90 Evinrude overheating with muffs on, then put it in a tub of water and it ran fine, maybe just not enough constant water flow

Adding a telltale would help in a catching a potential overheat before it happens. I clamp muffs on my motor's leg, so all water goes into the water pump....and NOT onto the ground.

InMotion

Commander

Looks terrific man! Have a great trip and safe boating!

J.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Outstanding work as usual. The interior setup should be a totally killer fishing platform. Safe journey next week and awesome fun and fishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.