1979 Starcraft 18 v5 Restoration re model

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 Starcraft 18 v5 Restoration re model

Hi dont, the back of the boat was basically the same, had seats back there, I redid the center portion to lift upward to access the bilge pump etc; and added the cup holders

budski

Lieutenant Commander

OK got ya now Teamster, should have known by the name, that sounds like a good idea

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Yes Teamster, those look great, and yes I think I could probably make those, I have a place where I get recycled aluminum so the cost wouldn't be that much

budski

Lieutenant Commander

How did they lift it they must have had some pretty good equipment, I think if I take my boat off the trailer and tilt it on it's side partially on some flotation foam or something like that I can do one side at a time, I'm leaning more and more with Glens idea and keep it polished aluminum on the bottom side.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Just looked at Glens Naked Lady again, man that's awesome, got to be they way to go for me except with all black topsides

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Bud , I built a rock knocker, bra for the Naked Lady but we are still finding dings. I used puck board and 1 "Square tubing. It helps a lot but??

bowbuddy003.jpg

I'm going to look into either buying or making one of these. Convertex ? Toiles protectrices de coque pour votre bateau ou ponton
By the way they are great people to deal with.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

You did a super job there, wonder why you still got some dings, I checked that website they have some good deals on bimini tops which I'm thinking of getting, thanks for the link, buy the way I'm pretty sure I'm going with your suggestion and strip the bottom, that way I don't have to worry about the black paint being scratched or chipped off, thanks for the heads up.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

My personal belief is that a black bottomed boat is less apt to spoke fish,..........

I think a white of shinny hull spoke shallow fish more often,..

I have no scientific data to support that whatsoever,.............

budski

Lieutenant Commander

IMG_4985.jpgIMG_4984.jpg

Done stripping the outside of the transom, used paint stripper and sanded, man that's a lot of work don't know how you did Naked Lady Glen, kind of having second thoughts about stripping the whole bottom, we'll see

jbcurt00

Staff member

Inmotion is having GREAT success w/ a CHEAP stripper & little effort to strip his current Jet project:
Interestingly, I stumbled across a really cheap, environmentally friendly and fast way to strip the bottom of the boat! A few posts ago I said that the cheap stripper I was using didn't work... well I thought I would try an experiment this morning. I literally poured the stuff onto the hull and then using a paint brush, smeared it leaving big globs of the stuff everywhere. I left the electric oil heater on medium for the day and tonight around 8:45pm snuck outside and tried to strip the paint off using a metal 2" wide drywall tool... low and behold the paint literally fell off the boat!! In less than 40 minutes 80+ % of the hull is completely stripped! Cost: less than $4.00! Time: less than 40 minutes of labor! Environmental impact: Virtually nill... this stuff worked terrific with no toxic chemicals!

Just thought I would share that... getting the paint off is a normally a big pain and I'll tell you, I will have the boat stripped for less than $15 and way, way quicker than before with way, way less effort! I ran out tonight... but I am going to pick some more up tomorrow and pour it on Wed morning... I'll report back with the results to see that they can be duplicated.

Around post #163 in his Jet thread: 1964 Starcraft Jet - Rebuild

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Yes he did an awesome job, Thanks jb and dj, but I don't want to be turning my boat upside down and I have 2 extra strakes and a lot more bottom, I did use paint stripper as well on my transom then still had to sand it. but I'll see maybe I'll get more ambitious when the weather warms a bit.

dozerII

Admiral

I didn't say it was going to be easy, but IMHO the results are woth the extra effort.;)

budski

Lieutenant Commander

UPS dropped me off a new toy IMG_4998.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Budski - Looks like it's busted, I don't see any fish. Better send it to me. That one gets good reviews in the fishing forums.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Yea just have to figure out how to use it, looked at the instructions now even more confused