1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
I picked this boat up in Livermore Northern California, not a whole lot of these boats around here. Paid $500, it was last registered in 1993. Is this a SS? It has a 140 Mercruiser I/O and open bow. The previous owner removed the floor. The motor has good compression and I almost got it to fire today, I'll put some new plugs in it and rebuild the carb and it should start right up. This is a great site with lots of good photos and tips for new Starcraft owners. I will post photos as I go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/christophersaul/StarcraftRestoration?feat=directlink

_IGP1094-1.JPG

_IGP1095-1.JPG

_IGP1093-1.JPG

_IGP1096-1.JPG

Last edited:

North Beach

Commander
Re: 1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

KH, looks like an SS to me. I don't have the 79 brochure but they did make the SS in an I/O.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Karhawk, looks a lot like mine just a year older. I have a 120 in mine for now, but I have an 1985 140 sitting in the building for when I do my restore.

Jeff

86 century

Ensign

Looks a lot like mine. That thing is a long way from home. Turns out all the starcrafts were made in Indiana. Welcome aboard and to the starcraft cult/club.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat. Glad you got a resto thread started. Lots of us Starcraft guys here, welcome to the club!

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome, looks like the PBO got the job started and left you room to make it your own. There are lots of SS owners here for you to review what they have done, it is a trove of great experience and info.

Keep us up to date.

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome everyone, this is a great site! I will keep the photos coming.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome Chris...looks like fun...enjoy!

sprintst

Commander

Cool. Keep the pics coming.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Cool boat man, congrats!!

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

]I made some progress on the boat, started the engine, it runs pretty good once warmed up, I changed oil and filter and installed new plugs. The impeller is next. Since this boat will see some salt water around the San Francisco bay area I sanded and primed the inside of the hull with Kelly Moore aluminum primer. Rustoleum paint is a little hard to find locally here and Kelly Moore makes a good product. I used two coats, this primer does not need to be top coated. While these boats were designed to flex a certain amount I did add three redwood ribs where the pressure coated 1/2 ply seams butt together. I think it will give the floor a little added stiffness. Redwood is our version of yellow pine here in the west and is very rot resistant. I lagged the 2X6 ribs with galvanized 2" self tapping bolts. I also added a redwood bracket to the oak engine mount the PO installed so the engine will not flop around in rough conditions. I also found some of the M22 Benjamin Moore paint, it is no longer stocked in most places in California, I bought one gallon for 30 bucks and they had one left, I think I will get that one too. I plan on a white hull and grey stripe and trim, with white captains chairs. The floor is cut and ready for riveting and screwing. I primed the bottom of the pressure treat floor boards with kilz2. The hull is ready for prep, I think I will hold up the stern with a cherry picker and build a frame to hold the front up for sanding and painting.
_IGP1099.JPG
_IGP1101.JPG

_IGP1102.JPG

_IGP1103.JPG

_IGP1100.JPG

_IGP1105.JPG

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
New boat seats coming from Florida!

New boat seats coming from Florida!

Here are the seats I picked up:
boat%20seats.JPG

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey,

Welcome. great looking boat there. Looking forward to seeing restore progress.

Tim

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Moving right along...like the seats! :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good luck with your project.

Did you include flotation? How long do you think it will take for the pressure treated wood to react with the aluminum? ...... I bet one season in salt water maybe faster......

good luck.

North Beach

Commander

Karhawk, not tryin to rain on your parade here but you're gonna have problems with a couple of things here. First, the chemicals leaching out of the pressure treated wood are gonna attack the aluminum hull especially wherever you have fastened thru it. Secondly, anywhere you have galvanized bolts, they're gonna corrode to the point where they fall apart over time. If you plan on keeping this boat for any amount of time you need to correct those items.

Pressure treated wood and galvanized fasteners on an aluminum boat are big nono's.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Karhawk, not tryin to rain on your parade here but you're gonna have problems with a couple of things here. First, the chemicals leaching out of the pressure treated wood are gonna attack the aluminum hull especially wherever you have fastened thru it. Secondly, anywhere you have galvanized bolts, they're gonna corrode to the point where they fall apart over time. If you plan on keeping this boat for any amount of time you need to correct those items.

Pressure treated wood and galvanized fasteners on an aluminum boat are big nono's.

Ditto!

Yah, I was kinda sad when I read that too. I didn't have the heart to tell him but I knew somebody would so big thanks NB and BOB! He'll thank you guys later too!:D

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fewww im glad you guys called that out, better now than later when the boat is destroyed. Expecially since the inside of that hull looks so nice. I wish mine was half that nice when i pulled the floor up. My next aluminum will come from a place where there is no salt water for hundreds of miles!!!!

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Pressure treated wood and galvanized fasteners on an aluminum boat are big nono's.[/QUOTE]

Got it I'll change out the galvy fasteners with SS, since I have aluminum primer on one side of the pressure treat and kilz2 on the back side of the wood, is there still a problem with corrosion? As long as the aluminum has a barrier between the wood I should be OK?

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

North Beach

Commander

Chris, I'm really not tryin to be hard on you here. Looks like you're doing a great job. The problem with the PT lumber is it comes to you with a very high moisture content as a result of the chemicals that are "pressured" into the wood to treat it. Sometimes you'll notice the liquid running out when you install a screw or nail. When you install fasteners thru the wood into your aluminum you provide a direct path for the chemicals to follow right to the aluminum.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'd rather you know about it now when it's at least a little easier for you to correct than after you get everything back together.

FYI, that primer is probably not going to stay on that pt plywood very long either.