1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Thanks ez, that is what i needed to know.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here are the pics of the hull flipped and the aluminum strings back in place. I have to pick up a few more rivets to finish, and then onto the Gluvit.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

sloopjimd

Cadet

wow love the project makes me want to get out and find one of these. Ive got a starcraft but it is only a 14 ft sea scamp but I love that little boat. Keep up the good work!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow love the project makes me want to get out and find one of these. Ive got a starcraft but it is only a 14 ft sea scamp but I love that little boat. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

This is my first aluminum boat. My dad had a 14ft aluminum sears we used to take fishing, but he sold it a couple years back. Great little boat, would fish 3 adults no problem.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Moving at a good clip, kudos... looking good!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks good. Consider power washing it prior to Gluvit.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks good. Consider power washing it prior to Gluvit.

Thanks EZ. I will do that for sure. It is supposed to rain all weekend, so I will probably have to wait until next week to get the gluvit in.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit takes a LONG time to dry so plan accordingly.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How long is LONG? Next week is supposed to be high 60's to low 70's monday-thursday.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

2-3 days

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I am continuing to learn a lot on this forum!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Depending on humidity and temp I'd give it 2-3 days in the shade.

Also if you haven't already done so take this opportunity to clean all the limber holes so you will have good drainage channels in the bilge so water gets to the stern to be pumped/drained out.

Way to get after it, she will be floating soon:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depending on humidity and temp I'd give it 2-3 days in the shade.

Also if you haven't already done so take this opportunity to clean all the limber holes so you will have good drainage channels in the bilge so water gets to the stern to be pumped/drained out.

Way to get after it, she will be floating soon:)

Ok so starcraft newbie question. What are limber holes?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ok so starcraft newbie question. What are limber holes?

The ribs have little raised tabs that allow the center line of the boat(keel) to act as a drainage canal that runsfrom the bow to the stern.

They can be cleaned with pipe cleaners, bent metal hangers, or an other skinny piece of metal.

All sorts of junk gets caught in there that can block the holes and cause the boat to hold water in the middle rather than draining properly.

Once it gets to the stern the bilge pump or drain hole will let the water escape.

Some of my limber holes are already clogged again since my ski locker lets in debris. That's why some folks don't like ski lockers.:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

once again, I continue to learn something. I will definitely clean those out before the deck goes on.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why i am learning some new things. I bought the gluvit yesterday at the marine shop. The guy out there told me about this product. He says that it works better than the gluvit and it is cheaper. I have used it once on a fiberglass boat and it sure was tough as nails, but I have not used it to seal rivets. Has anyone had experience with it and aluminum boats? It is $35 for a gallon, and I am thinking about returning the gluvit if it is worth the while. Otherwise i will just keep the gluvit and use it.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=30

Thanks guys.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I can't bring myself to recommend anything other than Gluvit...that being said...if you try it I'd love to hear the results.

I'm curious if it has the self-etching primer mixed in like the gluvit. That's what makes it adhere so well to bare aluminum.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys.

I know the Gluvit is king on this site. The guy at the marine shop said he sells more of the Coat It than he does the Gluvit. He says a lot of people around here (Camano Island) use it to seal rivets. They have it on sale for $35 a gallon (8lb kit). It is tempting. I will have to think about it. I just don't know if it is worth the experiment.

I will keep you guys posted on what i decide.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry there has not been any updates the last couple days. I have been slammed with work, and we are leaving for a 4 day camping trip on thursday.

I have decided to give the Coat-it a shot. I will definitely take pictures, and let everyone know the outcome of it. For the price i think it is worth the experiment. The marine shop is open tomorrow, so I will go and get it.

I hope everyone had a nice 4th of july!