1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

Looking good there duncan, always a nice feeling to have some forward progress. To me the tearing down, repairing and cleaning stages seem to take forever.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

The family is chomping at the bit to have it ready to splash next year. We rented a pontoon boat a couple of weeks ago and they all had fun. Hoping to make this a more sport and less fish boat I think the 7 year old wants all fishing focus on the boat. I am aiming for safe and useful within a budget.

pckeen

Commander

Nice - what are you going to seal the transom with?

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Spar Varnish for the transom, probably 4 coats anyway. I have gluvit to seal the rivets. BOught the silicone sealant to do the stringers but go back and forth on sealing it up like the factory had. I have to acetone wipe the aluminum before I apply the gluvit so it would be clean for the silicone but I dont know... 5200 for all of the stainless thru the transom.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

More progress. Gluvit last weekend. Wow that stuff is cool to use. Found a crack on the rear of the stringer where it gets bolted to the transom. I have some heavy aluminum angle that I will cut and drill to beef this up. Got the foam put in the bow section . SLow progress ! . Still shopping for a motor.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

nice progress dtr!

I recall DJP also having cracks in the stringer/brace on his 22' V5 SS.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

got more done today - several sheets of various sizes foam. Questions for the groups

1) will the foam (pink formular Owens Corning) pack down at all ? I have an area where it is high almost 1/2 inch. Will I need to cut it down some ?

2) Should I put something like silicone sealant between the deck wood and the aluminum stringers ?

3) How about sealant around the edges where the wood deck meets the hull ?

Thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

got more done today - several sheets of various sizes foam. Questions for the groups

1) will the foam (pink formular Owens Corning) pack down at all ? I have an area where it is high almost 1/2 inch. Will I need to cut it down some ?

2) Should I put something like silicone sealant between the deck wood and the aluminum stringers ?

3) How about sealant around the edges where the wood deck meets the hull ?

Thanks

#1 Nope, that stuff doesn't smush.

#2 Not necessary but it sure wouldn't hurt anything really.

#3 That would depend on your drainage plan. If you want all the water that falls on the deck to go to the stern or the stern and the sides. Knowhattamean?

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, guess I will have to pull up one of the deck pieces. I will pull one of the foams pieces at the bottom - I started with the 1/2 inch variety and once got it level went with 2 inch towards the top.

I am not going to apply sealant along the stringers before I secure the deck.

And I will be applying sealant at the hull / deck area to make the water mostly go to the rear bilge area.

I did end up applying new silicone sealant at all the seams on the stringer where I think it was originally. That means a few different "compartments" where the water could go. The two side compartments each have a drain plug that goes into the center rear bilge area. That where the pump is located. The only odd area to the plan was the bow area that didnt appear to drain as it appears lower when on the trailer. Once it floats I will have to see if the water would want to drain back along the side compartments.

Did 4 rivets with the hand poprivet tool tonight. Tomorrow is the harbor freight air pop riveter time to put the angle brackets in above the fuel tank.

So far I think I am the third person to be below deck. I found drywall screws (!), Some odd matched rivets that dont look factory and a few heavy wood screws that use a straight blade screwdriver. Rivets were the easiest to remove. The drywall screws are the worst.
2 More good days of weather this next week. Hopefully next weekend is close to this weekend.

Whats better to attached the deck - rivets or stainless screws ? My neighbor has some screws in his boat and he passes the phillips head screwdriver around while we are out fishing to tighten the ones that work loose. Locktite should help that.