1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1978 Starcraft 18 ft Holiday V5

I am watching your progress budski and hope I can borrow a lot of your ideas. Never had a "real" boat before so I thought this one would be a first good try.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Duncan hope I can help, and as far as I'm concerned you've started with an awesome boat love those V5's all the best in your restore.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Looking good on the tear down. That's some tough work when every screw, nut and bolt fight your efforts to pull them out. I love that belly tank, wish my Chief has one of those rather than the 2 saddle tanks.

Like JB said about the sillycone, someones been in there. Starcraft doesn't put that stuff on anything.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Does the fuel locker area need to be sealed ? I am curious why someone sealed it originially. It appears that the bilge water is supposed to go down thru the side chambers as there are drain plugs at the back center bilge area allowing water to drain from the sides to the center. I can post pics. Lots of reinforcement on the stringers to the hull supports in the tank area.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Duncan, my fuel area looks like it's sealed, also there is some silicone towards the front of it, looks kind of it was done at the factory,

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Garry hope these help IMG_6041.jpgIMG_6042.jpgIMG_6043.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Mine had the black sealer also around the fuel compartment and it also had a plug at the rear of it. I did reseal it all back up when I put it back together. Lots of familiar looking stuff in your pics!!!

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Dave, I got rid of all the sealant and took the aluminum plates out prefer to have the water drain to the back of the boat not pool up on the sides, don't know for sure whether I did the right thing but time will tell

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I will compare these with my piece. I have to figure out what the PO did with the next section aft, there were two different pieces fitted in under the vertical dash supports. I really like the progress you are making. I am behind on the work. After the power wash today realized it does need a new transom. More wood to purchase.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I will reseal the fuel tank area, I suspect it is a safety feature. The hull is very compartmentalized, each of the side sections are individually drained to the rear where there are drain plugs to the common center bilge.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I suspect the original fuel tank well sealant was black, the silicone sealant peeled off fairly easily with pliers, I could see residue under it that was black. Front floor piece is a very close match, within a half inch on all measurements. Hot working outside in 90 degree heat peeling carpet - wonder bar works great.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Good lord, someone glued the carpet directly onto the hull? Man you got your work cut out for you having to go along behind the PO's well meaning blunders.

Great steady progress on the tear down, makes me feel like heading out to the old Chief for a fix!

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander

My fuel area had a drain plug at the stern end no drain plugs on the sides like yours don't know where the water was supposed to go, my other v5 is the same as yours with drain plugs on both sides and one at the stern under the fuel tank, dose not make sense to me why the 2 are different.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Garry I just talked to a guy that used to work for a boat manufacturer, and he said that was the old way they used to build the fuel tanks into boats, they don't seal then in any more, cause the water couldn't drain properly and the floatation just soaked up water, don't want to change your mind about sealing yours in just thought I'd let you know....John

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks John, that makes my job easier. I suspect I wont seal up the fuel tank well then. My neighbor gifted me 3 sheets of 3/4 inch exterior rated bc grade plywood. In the garage so now guess I better start cutting and painting. I am thinking of using rustoleum industrial grade oil based enamel to paint the floor pieces. Walmart has a gallon in grey for 25 bucks.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a score 3 sheets is more than enough for the floor, the original ply is 1/2 so make sure you allow for that when you start your assembly, I used 5/8 on my floor and going to be using 5/8 as well on the rest, also I used spar varnish on the floor 2 coats spar is supposed to really withstand the elements, they use it on the spars on sailboats hence the name spar varnish, but I don't see any reason why rustoleum wouldn't work but I'm not an expert on it for wood, but that's what I'm going to use on the outside of my boat. Mine is called rustoleum professional but I imagine it's the same thing I also bought mine at walmart, got mine on sale for 21.00 a gallon US at walmart grand forks nd last march.

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I have the flooring cut and spar varnished. Last major chunk is on the sawhorses drying after coat 1 of spar varnish. Also bought a boat cover from FleetFarm this weekend. Transom is one layer 3/4 outdoor ply from the neighbor and one layer aracuao ply from Menards. Used waterproof Titebond, no voids seen while trimming to size. Tight fit in the space available.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There you go, Duncan - Step One putting her back together. :)

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to price out replacing all of the stainless 1/4-20 hardware that bolts thru the transom. There is a fair amount. Had to use the dremel tool to cut off some of the hardware. Looks like 3 iterations of "improvements" on the original transom. Had to pound / buck / flatten some of the aluminum where holes had been drilled through without deburring the aluminum. Shopping for an outboard now to try to get mounted before the snow flies.