1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

Looks real good Cj, boat building and beer,Hmmmm, they were just meant for each other.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Beer and boat building.... yes, go hand in hand.

Everything is ready for a splash except the registration. The boat is all gassed up and ready to go as soon as the paper work is complete. I took it to storage and covered her all up and will wait very impatiently for the mail man. :)

Now is a good time to get the 16 footer all cleaned up and ready to sell. The CJ is also going up for sale soon if any one is interested.

--dave

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you just gonna be "mule" after selling the CJ? Some states let you you use the boat for 30-60 days after the reg work is done and you don't have the stickers. GA is, don't know about TX. And tomorrow is a postman's holiday - of course.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, WV gives me a 3" sq receipt that acts as my temp reg until I get official stickers & titles... The receipt paper is about a scant 1/3rd the quality & thickness of ATM receipt paper...:facepalm:
And thermoprinted, so it does darken in the sun & in a hot pocket/glovebox
Lame.gif

goodluck.gif
resisting until you can officially splash her legally...

Maybe take a tablet pc or smartphone w/ you & pull up this resto as 'proof' of ownership :cool:

Who'd steal a boat, do all this work to it & post it's progress online.....
I suppose they aren't criminals because they are the sharpest prop in the boat house..

InMotion

Commander

Looks terrific 8mule! :) Gonna look really sharp out on the water!

Jim

cj8mule

Are you just gonna be "mule" after selling the CJ? Some states let you you use the boat for 30-60 days after the reg work is done and you don't have the stickers. GA is, don't know about TX. And tomorrow is a postman's holiday - of course.

I've had this CJ since 1992... it's hard to let it go, but I'm getting pretty old. It's not getting used like it should, so maybe it's time for someone else to enjoy it. The paper work I need is a MI title and a TX form signed that the PO SIL lost. One of these days I'll learn :rolleyes:

cj8mule

Who'd steal a boat, do all this work to it & post it's progress online.....
I suppose they aren't criminals because they are the sharpest prop in the boat house..

That just made me spit up some of my beer :D The economy is getting pretty bad around here and there is alot of stealing going on. I don't hear of many boats being stolen which is probably due to the strick boat registration laws around here.

cj8mule

The boat's still in storage waiting on some paper work. I found some seats on CL for $35. I'm cleaning them up and making some new cushions. The posts are a little tall for the SS, but we'll see what I can do...

GA_Boater

Keep workin' on her CJ, the paperwork will get cleared up. Judicious use of a hack saw should reduce the seat height - Just wait til you can measure in the boat or ...you know. :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, wait on trimming the posts, and then less is more, a little at a time. I think Jas ended up trimming his posts 3 times :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

cj8mule

Keep workin' on her CJ, the paperwork will get cleared up. Judicious use of a hack saw should reduce the seat height - Just wait til you can measure in the boat or ...you know. :facepalm:

Yep, wait on trimming the posts, and then less is more, a little at a time. I think Jas ended up trimming his posts 3 times :)

Thanks fellows. These posts are adjustable and cut up great. I measured 3 times and only had to cut once. :)

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Thanks John.

cj8mule

I finished up the seating today and put some stickers on. I need a little advice or constructive critism on some pinstripping.

I was thinking about cutting the pinstripe back into itself on a 45 degree back up to the gunnel. What do you think? Or, should I just leave it alone?

GA_Boater

Thanks fellows. These posts are adjustable and cut up great. I measured 3 times and only had to cut once. :)

That's just not right. Only one cut. :rolleyes:

I like the stripe just like you have it now. A 45 up might look clunky.

cj8mule

After 5 months of nail biting, the boat is finally registered in my name. A splash is imminent.... tomorrow or Friday.

I ordered the reg numbers to match the Starcraft stickers. Hopefully, I can pick those up tomorrow!

GA_Boater

Go get wet, CJ. :D Watchin' for splash pics, ya know! :joyous:

dozerII

Admiral

Looking forward to the splash pics, have fun.