1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

Rusty royal blue was my choice on the Holiday.
Great job on the paint.

InMotion

Commander

Paint and boat look great... really coming together.

Nice work!

IM

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A lot was accomplished this week. I spent a couple of days getting the motor purring like it should. When I ran the motor on the garage floor, it was missing a little. I figured I'd just change the points and do a tune up after the engine was back in the boat. To my surprise there wasn't any points :). So, some new plugs, wires, cap, and a carb rebuild was all it took. I also had an issue with a donor alum gas tank I was trying to use... didn't fix it, but it had a pick up tube blockage of some sort. I just sold it on CL for $50 (with full disclosure of course).

Still need to find some cash for some new seats :D

cj8mule

And just have to include one of this...

just humming that Sir Mix Alot "Baby Got Back" song. :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mighty fine looking. CJ. You can do seats anytime.

dozerII

Admiral

Great job CJ, almost ready for the water.

cj8mule

The side boards are all done and installed

The doghouse, and back seats are built and drying.

They'll probably get some paint and vinyl tomorrow. That leaves installing the fenders and building some side guide-on bunks for the trailer. Hopefully, we can splash it this weekend :)

InMotion

Commander

Nice work CJ! I am excited for you! This is the part in the project where things get really fun with the anticipation of the splash and the last bits getting completed.

Savor the moment...:) The next thing you know you'll be doing it all over again on boat # 2! :D

Jim

cj8mule

Nice work CJ! I am excited for you! This is the part in the project where things get really fun with the anticipation of the splash and the last bits getting completed.

Savor the moment...:) The next thing you know you'll be doing it all over again on boat # 2! :D

Jim

You've got that right Jim. I've been eyeing this '77 22 footer for the last 3 months.

The guy wants $1200 and comes with 2 non working 115 Johnsons. It's been for sell for over 3 months and might be time for me to make my move. I was thinking about offering $500 or $600. Here's the CL add: 1977 starcraft boat

InMotion

Commander

You've got that right Jim. I've been eyeing this '77 22 footer for the last 3 months.

The guy wants $1200 and comes with 2 non working 115 Johnsons. It's been for sell for over 3 months and might be time for me to make my move. I was thinking about offering $500 or $600. Here's the CL add: 1977 starcraft boat

Sweet!!! You've got MBS for sure... it really is incurrable! Looking forward to see what happens with the purchase! :D

GA_Boater

CJ - the Islander looks like a good project, especially if you can whittle the price down some. O/B Islanders are few and far between. Are two 115s over the HP rating for a 22 footer? She could be fun if both of them are working/repairable.

The SS is looking like she is in the end stages. It'll be good to splash this weekend. What lake is gonna make her wet?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Are two 115s over the HP rating for a 22 footer? She could be fun if both of them are working/repairable.
Based on the motor position on the transom & lack of dual controls, it looks like their running a single 115 & a 2nd parts/donor motor on the stand.

Twin 115's would certainly be sporty.

Might need to do dual below deck fuel tanks & push 1 far forward into the cuddy, ala Jasoutside's Islander. Empty Tide bottles are optional....

CJ: the current boat looks great, and a pending fall splash is most excellent! The 22' Islander looks like it might be a good score too, for the right price. $5-600 may not be a go, but might get a decent counter-offer, then you'd still be good for a below $1K purchase in the $750+/- range...

cj8mule

CJ - the Islander looks like a good project, especially if you can whittle the price down some. O/B Islanders are few and far between. Are two 115s over the HP rating for a 22 footer? She could be fun if both of them are working/repairable.

The SS is looking like she is in the end stages. It'll be good to splash this weekend. What lake is gonna make her wet?

I'm hopeful for a splash this weekend although there is some title issues I have to clear up first. I'll probably take it Calaveras lake which is just up the road from me.

cj8mule

Based on the motor position on the transom & lack of dual controls, it looks like their running a single 115 & a 2nd parts/donor motor on the stand.

Twin 115's would certainly be sporty.

Might need to do dual below deck fuel tanks & push 1 far forward into the cuddy, ala Jasoutside's Islander. Empty Tide bottles are optional....

CJ: the current boat looks great, and a pending fall splash is most excellent! The 22' Islander looks like it might be a good score too, for the right price. $5-600 may not be a go, but might get a decent counter-offer, then you'd still be good for a below $1K purchase in the $750+/- range...

Thanks for the compliments and the advise on the price range. Tin is very rare around here, but to keep the Admiral happy... the 16' SS is going to have to sell first. I should get around 3K for it and might be able to keep a thousand for a new project :D

cj8mule

Three steps forward... one step back. I hate it when I screw something up, but the seats and doghouse cover won't fit. By the time I added the coverings, they are just too wide. I only allowed 3/8" for the carpet and vinyl.

Time to drink a beer and fix it tomorrow. :facepalm:

The boxes on each end of the doghouse will be getting a boat seat

cj8mule

Bought a 30 pack of beer and got some work done. The back doghouse seat got fixed.

The passenger consol had a couple of cup holder holes cut out. The holes were to small for the new cupholder so after a few beers and a die grinder, the new holders are in.

cj8mule

I built some side bunk brackets and got those installed. Also, got the bimini back on.

I'm not sure if it's called a transom saver, but I built one.

Also, got the swim platform installed.

GA_Boater

A few beers and all fixed. ;) Ready for the splash?

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well done. She looks mighty fine and will look even better cruising upon the water.