1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I couldn't find a 18' SS anywhere around San Antonio so I opened up the distance I was willing to travel. I found one 400 miles away in OK and picked it up yesterday. It's a one owner from Michigan that I picked up for $800. Not exactly bottem feeder prices, but not to bad for around here.

The plan is to rebuild this into a fishing boat and sell the 16' SS when done. It'll be nice to take a fishing break with the 16' SS while building the 18' SS. It wasn't easy talking the wife into having two boats. So, I promised to sell the 16 footer when I finish the 18 footer. DO WE EVER REALLY FINISH OUR BOATS????? lol.....

Well, enough chatter.... on to some pics:

We're at the local Walmart getting some grease in the wheel bearings and installing some new safety chain on the trailer

Now that's a sexy butt!

cj8mule

Re: 1978 SS 18 120 I/O --Rebuild

I have a few questions......

Here's the nameplate:

Is this thing a Super Sport? The SUS 18 I/O for a model name is strange. I thought it would say SS 18 I/O.

The next couple of pictures are to show the controls for the I/O:

I expected to see the controls on the dash for trim/tilt, but didn't expect the trim/tilt button on the gear selector.

Is the gear selector button just a trim button? Will it do the tilt also? There is a throttle only button there for warm up. Does that operate a solenoid to step up the throttle linkage?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

- You must have a sUper sport - hence the SUS code...
- As far as I know tilt = trim
- The throttle only button - there are 2 cables - one for the throttle the other for the shift - the throttle only will allow the throttle to move w/o the shift cable engaging...

That is a sweet rig - the 18' hull is a great size!!

cj8mule

I found this little guy in a pvc pipe the PO used as side guide marker on the trailer. Hopefully, he's eaten all the black widows and fiddlers.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know why you have trim on the controls. But tilt and trim are not the same thing. Trim down will move the drive all the way down and trim up will only go up until the trim limit switch is activated. The limit is to stop an over trim up from destroying the u-joints. Tilt is to lift the drive for trailering when the engine is not running.

Good looking SS or should I say SUS. The '78 brochure calls it a Super Sport

cj8mule

Don't know why you have trim on the controls. But tilt and trim are not the same thing. Trim down will move the drive all the way down and trim up will only go up until the trim limit switch is activated. The limit is to stop an over trim up from destroying the u-joints. Tilt is to lift the drive for trailering when the engine is not running.

Good looking SS or should I say SUS. The '78 brochure calls it a Super Sport

Thanks GA. I'm wondering if the switch on the gear selector will run the trim only. I finally got the battery all charged up and should be able to figure it out today.

cj8mule

- You must have a sUper sport - hence the SUS code...
- As far as I know tilt = trim
- The throttle only button - there are 2 cables - one for the throttle the other for the shift - the throttle only will allow the throttle to move w/o the shift cable engaging...

That is a sweet rig - the 18' hull is a great size!!

Thanks SC65!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's a great ride cj, congrats!:D

cj8mule

That's a great ride cj, congrats!:D
Thanks Jason! This boat was bought new by PO and stayed up in your neck of the woods until 3 years ago when it came home with the SIL to OK.

cj8mule

Not a whole lot going on with the tin this week. The doctors are still looking for whatever is wrong with me. Prognosis keeps getting better and better though. They started by looking for lung cancer, then on to liver cancer... now they're looking at a pinched nerve in my neck. Don't ask me???? I think it's time to fire my Nurse Practioner and hire someone who will listen to me. (No offense to any NP's out there. My wife is a NP with a doctorate in research, so I know they can do a good job! Just this particular NP needs to go!)

I hate to admit it, but I screwed up big time. Apparently, the SIL did not properly store the boat and the head/block is cracked. I did do a compression check before the purchase which checked out OK. If it didn't hurt so bad, I'd kick myself in the butt for missing this. I would have offered $400 instead of $800.

Oh well... lick my wounds and move on, right? So... I got the engine fired up and ran it for 20 minutes or so. There is a little bit of water in the oil now, but I've seen worse. I won't know how bad it is until the engine gets pulled and torn down.

Here's this weeks progress:

Foam removal.... so EXCITING, right??

Here's my oldest Son helping the 'old man' out

cj8mule

Got a little bit done this week. Going to try and keep the momentum going for this weekend and maybe start on some of the body work.

Tried to use my truck bed to pull the engine out. I just couldn't figure out a way to do it safely so...

We found another method ... the old come along and tree method.

and success!

cj8mule

I'm going to use Rustoleum for the paint. I recommend using an automotive reducer instead of acetone. The acetone you buy at the box stores usually has to much water in it which can really mess up a paint job. I won't even use that acetone for wipe down.

My gluvit came in today. I've orded stuff from iboats twice now... man they are really quick.

I'm thinking of going with the Rustoleum white for the bottem trimed with the royal blue. I kindof like the stripping from the factory and might just copy it with the blue.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ugh, foam:facepalm:

Love that tree lift method:D

barato2

Commander

yah, them live oaks is one of the best things about SA.

CJ--why not mineral spirits for thinning enamel?

dozerII

Admiral

Real nice looking boat CJ, you are going to love running around the lake with her Trust me.

cj8mule

yah, them live oaks is one of the best things about SA.

CJ--why not mineral spirits for thinning enamel?
Can you use mineral spirits? I dunno... I know it is oil base and would cut the enamel, but not sure you would want to clean/prep with it. Have you ever tried it B2?

cj8mule

Ugh, foam:facepalm:

Love that tree lift method:D

My first resto was on a 72 with white foam and was very pleased. This one.... is nuts! There is absolutely no way for water to get through the limber holes. What the heck were they thinking? I see why the floor and transom was rotten.

I would sure like some suggestions on how to clean out those limber holes.

cj8mule

Some good forward progress the last couple of weeks.....

The inside hull is all cleaned out, the limber holes are clean and working, and the transom is removed.

We have the boat off the trailer and turtled in the back yard ready for some body work

Here's a couple of nice surprises:

Since I have no clue as to how to replace those rivits, these will be drilled out for some SS bolts and 5200.

dozerII

Admiral

Sure is nice to have all those hands helping with the sanding, i would imagine