1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It could be like Sam said, one of these fittings, probably a Q. You will need to get a RST? universal.
LGBTQ

[LGBTQ]

ABBREVIATION

• lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (or questioning).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sphelps and kcassells

Well I didn't want the boat to go that way (but then again it is a Tom Boy boat ?), so I am buying the "correct" parts so they work together and are happy...:laugh:​​​​​​​

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not a bad idea there Arch. The center PVC tube has room to pull new wires if needed. However the starboard side PVC pipe is filled to the gill...

I have a few wires remaining for the ignition key setup and the control panel can be buttoned up. I run wires for a depth locator. And while I have about 6 of them laying around, I am not sure which one to install. None of them are new current technology setups. The newest two are Lowrance LMS-332C and Lowrance LMS-480M. While I have them and they are in excellent condition, I don't have the transducers for either or the power cables.

Both were given to my son who works with a tournament fisherman and he gets new ones near yearly. So he just gave them to my son. But without the cables...go figure!

Which would you install or what you simply buy new? I ask because the transducers cost a pretty penny and the power cables has to be bought as well. I looked at something similar and the cost is a lot. And it seems you still have to buy the transducer separate as well. So any ideas?

The other locators are old old Hummingbird flasher types. I like them and have a few of them as well. Might have to blue light all of them once I get something installed and working. Not too many folks would want the old flasher types, but some still do!

And that brings me to BATTERIES. Time to select two batteries. One cranking and one trolling. Are there some good ones that you would suggest, and some to steer clear of? Remember this is a mere 14' tri-hull with a '76 40HP Johnson. So nothing amazing is needed, only something decent and reliable. :decision:

notlef

Seaman
Parts are still available for the Lowrance LMS-332C and Lowrance LMS-480M. I got a 480 off ebay to put on my backwater boat. Had to replace the transducer it was 60.00 nos also from ebay. Power Cables run about 40.00

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Parts are still available for the Lowrance LMS-332C and Lowrance LMS-480M. I got a 480 off ebay to put on my backwater boat. Had to replace the transducer it was 60.00 nos also from ebay. Power Cables run about 40.00

How do you like it?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
GM, I’m getting close to a splash.... looks like you are also! We should meet up his season at Tobo.

notlef

Seaman
It works well. It's not the latest and greatest but it will work for my application. I will be using this to fish the ICW, tidal creeks and rivers.
I'm in SE NC on the coast and now live here full time. Since I can be on the river or ICW in minutes I'm bringing my little backwater boat back to life.
That will brings the total number of water toys to 5.
3 boats
2 jetskis
I thinks I have MBS.

Also you boat is looking awesome.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, yes, yes, I know, been a couple weeks since last post. Well life had it's plans instead.

My brother-in-law has passed away last week after a long fight with so many medical problems to include diabetes, heart disease and lung cancer. Smoking will do that to you even well after you stop too late! And at the exact same time my dad had to start dialysis three times a week. And I also managed to catch a sinus head cold that still is kicking my butt...um...I mean, head.

So obviously working on the boat took last place in the scheme of things. I did manage to get on these boat sites for a little time every now and then, but didn't do anything towards the boat. Oh I have most everything ready to finish it out...I think....with the exception of two batteries. But between the family issues and head cold, my energy level is at a minus -2 out of a 1 - 10 scale. I HATE head/sinus colds!!!!

And we have been taking my dad to his dialysis at 12:00 AM/PM ? :noidea: and picking him back up at ~4:00 PM - 4:30 PM. And while that in itself isn't a real problem, he lives diagonally across the city from us, so at best traffic conditions...yeah right...that is at least a half hour or more drive one way. He is 92 and refuses to move to any type assisted live home. He demands to live by himself! Oh well...

But the boat is still waiting... one day... :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thoughts and prayers GM ...
My 90 year mom is the same way . She just prefers to live by herself ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thoughts and prayers GM ...
My 90 year mom is the same way . She just prefers to live by herself ..

What really scares me is how my dad can't remember how to drive to his dialysis place, which is a mere extremely simple few miles away at best, but can figure out how to get there and back, but demands he will live by himself. And sadly he does still drive. Go figure... I wonder how I will react when my old age sets in. I don't really think I will make it 'til I'm 92 though...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
GM Sorry for your loss.....Life does make twists and turns. I Know.....
Your Pop....well...that's life.
My wife has a debilitating memory issue for the last 15 years in addition to seizures. Not moaning, just understanding your dilemma to some degree.
So you just want to pull your pants up and push forward, Doesn't go away.
Oh you'll live to 92+....only the good die young. :laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
GM, Thoughts and Prayers for your and yours. Take your time. Boats are far down the list of Lifes priorities.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well seems things have finally settle down for a few days. We have been taking my dad to dialysis three times a week now, and that pretty much consumes those days. And since he lives a half hour a way (if traffic is good), it takes planning to get him there and back home three to four hours later, depending how the dialysis goes. But we do get to take him out for diners more now and that is a great thing for all of us!

I managed to get a little more wiring finished today, but when the temps hit 90 plus with the fan blowing on me in my shop, I had to stop again. I once could continue but age isn't liking that heat now. I managed to get the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) circuitry setup and once I tie in the trolling motor wires, I think I have it all wired.

Of course I need to install two batteries but that isn't much effort. Then mount the engine. So sounds close to a splash, but we have been enduring a heat wave now for about two straight weeks. Records are being broken near daily. And not an ounce of rain either. So our water bill will be very high to keep the lawn from dying while the electric bill will out do that with the A/C running.

Did I say that I am ready for fall.... :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly realize this has nothing to do with my boat project, but it took me forever to be able to get here.

Does anybody have an idea when these forums are going to be fixed? Not only are they screwed up for everybody that knows about other forums and can work around the issues, but they have to make some would be boaters avoid joining for lack of figuring out how to navigate them.

I am not complaining, but when I try to log in, it instantly goes to the sales department(s) and trying to get to the forums is really tricky at best. Even searching for key words doesn't work. When I click on the community tab, it pops up the forms tab with some others. But you can't get to them because those tab selections disappear the instant you move off the community tab...

Just wondering if this is how they are going to work now or what...