1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well while I am working the rub rail insert, I am also working other boat issues as well. Yes, I did install the live well today for keeps. :whoo:

I first clamped all the hoses in place using screw type hose clamps. But I cut the extra screw strip metal material off of all of them and smoothed out the ends so if I ever have to work on any of them, I won't get cuts like you will if you don't make them smooth. Been there and done that too many time before. :cold:

Amazing how many hose clamps it took for the actual live well plumbing. I used 6 clamps just for the live well at the live well. And will use a few more at the bilge area to get the pumps and drains plumbed as well.

I mixed up what started out to be a mere 300ml of polyester resin. But I added both Cabosil and Chopped Strand Fiberglass to strengthen it to make a paste type glue, for lack of a better description. And the 300ml starting amount ended up being at lest double or triple that amount. Way more then I needed or used. Oh well, it has been a while since mixing polyester resin batches.

Then I coated the entire area between the boat floor and the bottom of the live well to make sure it stays put. I will allow that to cure and then tab it in for the final. And paint it to match the seats.

That will open the gate for the remaining carpet as well. And the only other issue with the boat will then be the wiring and mount the engine.

I see light at the end of the loonnngggg tunnel, and I don't think this time it is a train either. :pray2:

Oh and I made the decision to go ahead and cut off about two to three inches off the old rub rail insert to send to WefCo Rubber in California. Now there is no using the old stuff. Hope it works out well...:decision:

Attachments

• photo305647.jpg
    photo305647.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305648.jpg
    photo305648.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305649.jpg
    photo305649.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305650.jpg
    photo305650.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
More work finished on the boat.

I installed the live well pump through the transom and did some more work on the panels. I think I am about ready to install them now. And that means a lot more WIRING! I have to admit, I went way way over board (pun intended) with the gadgets and gizmos that this boat really should never have had. But I had high hopes to include some things I'd like to have as options. Only problem is, the options are worth more then the boat itself. Sad isn't it? :facepalm:

It is just that when I owned my Bass Boat, I also made a lot of the same options for that boat. And they were nice to have so I duplicated them for this simple stick-steering little boat as well. So nice to see how everything is running and working with gauges and little circuits to monitor batteries and fuel levels.

Am very close to making the pattern for the carpet installation. I thought about using strips of cardboard (cut ~2" wide and how ever long I can make the strips) and hot glue the pattern together to make a lift out pattern for the initial carpet cut. Leave a little extra to cut to fit and it saves so much time. We used to do that when installing laminate flooring decades ago during my carpet/flooring installing days.

And then comes the engine install. Wow, that maybe scary. I've never done anything like that before. So I may need some ideas. :whistle:

Either way, I absolutely have to finish this boat project ASAP. I have put off actual home update issues long enough and need to finish this project so I can concentrate all my time to doing home improvements..until crappy spawn season!

I would post pictures about what I accomplished recently, but everything I did really isn't picture worthy and most would find them boring... I mean one wire looks like every other wire...just different colors!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That’s what’s cool about doing your own boat re-Hab ..You can take your time ad make it your own creation to suit your needs or sometimes wants ! :D

Yeah you are correct. Funny how I bought this boat, engine and trailer in hopes to get back on the water quickly to go fishing. And I originally though a few months at best to get it ready too. That was in 2012. Sad isn't it?

I guess we all have great expectations when we first start or "fixing up" a used boat quickly. Then reality sets in when we see how bad the boat actually is. I know now how to look for the un-obvious things on another boat.

chevymaher

Commander
I know now how to look for the un-obvious things on another boat.

I thought that to as I was finishing. Then it sunk in I won't ever need another boat. I ain't no spring chicken this thing is gonna last as long as I need it to. Probably my son to.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I thought that to as I was finishing. Then it sunk in I won't ever need another boat. I ain't no spring chicken this thing is gonna last as long as I need it to. Probably my son to.

I do understand what you are saying. With all the work I've put into this project, not counting time and everything else, it would be hard to part with it. But I would really like a mid-size Bass Boat again with twin windshield setup for the wife when we are out fishing. But who knows if that will ever happen either.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well the weather was pretty good today. At least temp wise. So I decide to tab in the live well. So I mixed up 200ml of poly and MEKP at 1 ~ 2%. And amazing, at lease to me, that amount tabbed in the live well to the very last amount. Go figure. I hardly ever measured out the correct amount. Most of the time, I had to mix a second batch to finish.

So now I still have to paint the outside of the live well to match the seat boxes and make the live well seat cushion. I have been putting that off knowing it was going to be a new experience to make it how I want it to look. Yeah, I could easily cover it and simply stretch the material over some foam and staple it underneath, but I want it to look better then that. We'll see how that works out! :facepalm:

Only the live well is tabbed in and cured, I can make the carpet pattern and do the carpet. Hope to do that very soon. Then it is install the panels with the wiring and get everything running. Then the engine mounted with controls.

I really need to get it finish for the crappy spawning season... :pray2:

Attachments

• photo306107.jpg
    photo306107.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306108.jpg
    photo306108.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306109.jpg
    photo306109.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I finished tabbing in the live well today. I applied 6" strips of 1708 and poly resin. Yeah I posted pictures and for the most part they look like last update pictures. The only difference is the 6" strips this time instead of 3" strips. And after that cures I will do a final sanding and clean up and start making the carpet pattern. And per ideas I received on these iboat forums, I installed the 1708 with the CSM side out instead of the 1708 woven mat, like I've done before. When it cures, It is a lot easier to smooth then the 1708 woven mat side out. And I also, per suggested ideas, folded the 1708 into a 90% counter shape to make it easier to apply. Those two ideas work great. Give it a try, I think you will agree if does apply a lot easier.

I still have some panel wiring to finish, and the wiring after I install those panels, but with the carpet, the engine is the only think left to install.

The weather has been warm for winter time (mid to upper 60's low 70's) And that was why I chose to tab the live well for final. They are predicting rain everyday for the next week, so all the work now is inside the shop. But that forces me to work on the boat and nothing else...which is great!

At this stage, I am getting excited to see so much getting done for a change. Of course the wife and I are already planning on some house projects as soon as this boat if finished. And I have to say that is pushing me to finish as well. I like doing house projects and furniture building. So there are many reasons to finish now.

Attachments

• photo306221.jpg
    photo306221.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306222.jpg
    photo306222.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306223.jpg
    photo306223.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306224.jpg
    photo306224.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work !
One thing though GM .. The mat on the 1708 is there for a binder when using poly resin . So if you want to put the mat out facing you should still apply csm first then followed up with the upside down 1708 .. Epoxy resin it wouldn’t matter ..
For this application though I think you should be fine the way you did it . Don’t think it’s going anywhere ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well the weather has been extremely helpful the last few days. Actually it has been extremely muggy with temps in the upper 70's with near 100% humidity! And that allows me to get things done, but sweat as well.

I was able to finish the second tabbing and apply some feathering mixtures to the live well for final. I just have to sand that out and paint. And I can start carpet. The warmer weather will work well with the glue too.

I have CUT (and that hurt too, can't ever use that again now) a piece of rub rail insert off the old insert to send to Wefco. And that goes out tomorrow to get the new rub rail insert to finish that issue.

I'll post pictures of the painted live well when finished.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Another update;

I sanded the last tabbing smooth and was able to mix the paint and hardener to paint it yesterdays as well. That now allows me to make the carpet pattern and get that finished as well. I usually paint some of the flooring so when the carpet gets installed, there is no possibility of any unpainted parts showing.

A little bit closer now...

Attachments

• photo306429.jpg
    photo306429.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306430.jpg
    photo306430.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306431.jpg
    photo306431.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks arch and oldrem, it is finally getting there. :)

I have a general question for those that may know. With CSM and 1708, they both have some chemical that works well with polyester resins. However, how does straight woven fiberglass clothe work with polyester resins? I have a lot of it and was wondering if it could be use successfully with polyester? :noidea:

I have a few things I want to cover with the woven fiberglass clothe and would hate to have the clothe not work with the resin at this time. Just really wondering... :confused:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woven works fine .. But you have to lay down a layer of csm first then the woven wet on wet ..
I believe there is no difference in the chemical structure of the woven ,1708 ,and csm . It’s just the way it’s woven together .
At least that’s what I’ve been told here on the forum ...
Thats why I suggested that when you put the 1708 bi-axle upside down / mat side up ,you need a layer of csm down first ...
Again that is what I have heard here ....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Woven works fine .. But you have to lay down a layer of csm first then the woven wet on wet ..
I believe there is no difference in the chemical structure of the woven ,1708 ,and csm . It’s just the way it’s woven together .
At least that’s what I’ve been told here on the forum ...
Thats why I suggested that when you put the 1708 bi-axle upside down / mat side up ,you need a layer of csm down first ...
Again that is what I have heard here ....

I totally understand what you are saying, but I really wonder why? I don't have much if any CSM left. I have some 1708 and a lot of straight woven glass. And that was why the question. If I use straight woven and poly, what does it or doesn't it do? I honestly have no idea...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My understanding is it does not bond as well without the csm ..
Where do you want to use the woven ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My understanding is it does not bond as well without the csm ..
Where do you want to use the woven ?

I still have to cover over the live well plywood cushion top plate yet so I can install the cushion on it. It is cut out and drilled for the hinge and just needs polyed to be water proof. I was hoping the thin woven material would work for that. If I have to, I will buy some more CSM. That is why I asked about the straight woven material. Not really going to see any serious water, but I want it polyed anyway.