1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Well I gotta thank Jim, for the push toward Natura Safe Strip. I tried your method of I think the term was "Glopping it on" and it worked pretty good where it was thick but not so much where it dried out while I was at work. So I tried a little experiment and wow did it work great. After putting on a fairly heavy coat I layed some light poly over top and pressed it into the stripper. When I came back the paint was completely blistered, and when I pulled off the plastic half the paint came with it leaving bare aluminum. A little scrapping with a plastic scraper took care of the rest.
Some how we have to get this product to our U.S. Bro's.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Some how we have to get this product to our U.S. Bro's.
Yeah, about that, tough to get it across, IM talked to several different sources & got the same answer: Probably not.

Maybe 1 of you nice fella's could pop for a 55gal drum of it & just bring a pickle jar (or 12) across as jelly&jam for friends if the border patrol asks. We could met you behind XYZ business, out by the dumpster, in a dimly lit parking lot & pay ya $10/qt :D

WIN~WIN I think :thumb:

InMotion

Commander

Awesome Glen... I will try the poly with the Flour tomorrow am and see the results! I picked some more up on the way home tonight... so I am strangely anxious to try it! :)

Glad it works for you as well as it has for me!

It really is a shame that our US brothers don't have the same top quality stripper!

Jim

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

That's all those Ticats would of needed is some hills and trees to contend with:laugh:
Hockey-Smockey the real fun is on the Gridiron.:D
The wrong team won, but it's still nice to see we can git-r-done in 3 downs, not 4. - Grandad :peep:

dozerII

Admiral

Yeah, about that, tough to get it across, IM talked to several different sources & got the same answer: Probably not.

Maybe 1 of you nice fella's could pop for a 55gal drum of it & just bring a pickle jar (or 12) across as jelly&jam for friends if the border patrol asks. We could met you behind XYZ business, out by the dumpster, in a dimly lit parking lot & pay ya $10/qt :D

WIN~WIN I think :thumb:

There has to be an equivalent in the U.S. as it is not very often we run into a product that is available up her and no in the States, it's usually the other way around.

Awesome Glen... I will try the poly with the Flour tomorrow am and see the results! I picked some more up on the way home tonight... so I am strangely anxious to try it! :)

Glad it works for you as well as it has for me!

It really is a shame that our US brothers don't have the same top quality stripper!

Thanks again Jim.

Jim

The wrong team won, but it's still nice to see we can git-r-done in 3 downs, not 4. - Grandad :peep:

THE WRONG TEAM WON :eek: I guess that's kuz you live I the wrong province:D

dozerII

Admiral

Here is a little video of the stripper with plastic as a covering, it worked very well, but in some areas the paint is real thick at least 1/16 of an inch. These areas will get a second coat.

stripping 001 - YouTube

InMotion

Commander

Nice video man! Nice and easy ---- love it! Makes quick work of a rather tedious task.

Glad the Safe Strip works for all those layers.

Jim

jbcurt00

Staff member

Never hated a couple a Canadians more then you 2 ^^^ right now :facepalm:

I contacted Accu-Labs, but as of yet, no product purchased. Thanks for the leg work Glen.

Oddly enough, I work w/ commercial flooring strippers regularly, and it turns out 3 have a similar pH 10.5+/-, and both Benzyl Alcohol & Ethanolamine the major components in SafeStrip. Which seems odd since their for removing wax & non-wax finish from vinyl flooring....

Hmmmmm..... It's not thick & gloppy, but I see a test of my own soon.....

Now to figure out how to get a 35" deep boat thru a 32" opening........

Looks like the plastic adds another GREAT time saver, and if you waited the full 'normal' 8hr work day, it would probably chew thru more layers of paint, even better.

Does the plastic help keep the stripper in place on vertical surfaces?

Thanks again for the EnviroStrip info

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Goop on, goop off. The Natura stripper is something else. :thumb:

No kitchen gadgets, eh? :)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I mean come'on! no noxious odor...no risk of chemical burns! BOOORING :p

Nice video Glen! We appreciate the effort you've put forth looking for something similar for us "southerners" :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral

Nice video man! Nice and easy ---- love it! Makes quick work of a rather tedious task.

Glad the Safe Strip works for all those layers.

Jim

Thanks Jim, gotta go back to a few place for some touch up but the top is almost done, then the big flip.
Question for ya? Do you just rinse the hull off with warm water and a rag?

Never hated a couple a Canadians more then you 2 ^^^ right now :facepalm:

I contacted Accu-Labs, but as of yet, no product purchased. Thanks for the leg work Glen.

Oddly enough, I work w/ commercial flooring strippers regularly, and it turns out 3 have a similar pH 10.5+/-, and both Benzyl Alcohol & Ethanolamine the major components in SafeStrip. Which seems odd since their for removing wax & non-wax finish from vinyl flooring....

Hmmmmm..... It's not thick & gloppy, but I see a test of my own soon.....

Now to figure out how to get a 35" deep boat thru a 32" opening........

Looks like the plastic adds another GREAT time saver, and if you waited the full 'normal' 8hr work day, it would probably chew thru more layers of paint, even better.

Does the plastic help keep the stripper in place on vertical surfaces?

Thanks again for the EnviroStrip info

Hate is such a harsh word.:rolleyes: Chain saw works well for making openings big enough for boat building lol.
Good luck with Accu Labs hope it works out, other wise we will have to start a smuggling ring. Maybe we can get Grandad with is 22 Holiday to bring the stuff half way across the Great Lakes to meet Jason with the SS Islander.
Once I flip the Holiday I will see how the plastic helps on the vertical.

Goop on, goop off. The Natura stripper is something else.

No kitchen gadgets, eh? :)

GA I will leave the cooking, kitchen portion of boat building to my Eastern Counter parts, hmm, now that you mention it thier Football team could stay in the Kitchen too.:eek:

I mean come'on! no noxious odor...no risk of chemical burns! BOOORING :p

Nice video Glen! We appreciate the effort you've put forth looking for something similar for us "southerners" :thumb:

Thanks BF, hope it works out.

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander

Thanks Jim, gotta go back to a few place for some touch up but the top is almost done, then the big flip.
Question for ya? Do you just rinse the hull off with warm water and a rag?

Yup.... but I use a little of the Admiral's dish soap to clean it up real good! I also use a little vinegar/water solution/mix from the kitchen as well after to get rid of any of the dish soaps residue. On the hull, normally I don't bother as I never paint it... by the time all of the crud from polishing comes out/off, any residue from the dish soap is looooong gone!

Ps --- ya gotta admit now... your team really had the upper hand in that game! Next year though, I have a feeling the cup will be residing east of the Manitoba-Ontario border!

Have a great one.

J.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Super easy Glen, nice!

I'd almost be looking forward to the job if I didn't have two football fields worth of paint that needs to come off:facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral

Yup.... but I use a little of the Admiral's dish soap to clean it up real good! I also use a little vinegar/water solution/mix from the kitchen as well after to get rid of any of the dish soaps residue. On the hull, normally I don't bother as I never paint it... by the time all of the crud from polishing comes out/off, any residue from the dish soap is looooong gone!

Ps --- ya gotta admit now... your team really had the upper hand in that game! Next year though, I have a feeling the cup will be residing east of the Manitoba-Ontario border!

Have a great one.

J.

Thanks Jim, this one is going to get paint on the top, and a little on the sides.
You could be right about the cup next year, the Riders, just took advantage of all the mistakes made by the Ticats.

Super easy Glen, nice!

I'd almost be looking forward to the job if I didn't have two football fields worth of paint that needs to come off:facepalm:

Thanks Jason, ya NOT SO MUCH, you got a lot of paint to strip, this stuff works very well, BUT :dejection:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, it's frustrating to have you canucks hoarding all the quick & easy solutions to tin boat building conundrums. :facepalm:

Nothing but :love: buddy, nothing but good ole tin boat building :love:..............

:grouphug: :canada:

barato2

Commander

[Ithe Admiral's dish soap ][/I]
someone likes living dangerously, in the event said Admiral runs across this thread.....mine would not appreciate the suggestion that the dirty dishes are "hers" :eek: (i couldn't find the frying pan smiley)

Glen, you are truly the Starship Enterprise of paint stripping....going where no man has gone before (cue the theme music and the SS201 swooping diagonally across the screen...)

dozerII

Admiral

You guys crack me up LOL, B2 you had me humming that tune all day.

Over the last day and a half I got the last of the remnants of blue paint of the top and this morning got the hull flipped with the help of the Ford and the motor lift.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like she is all ready for some bottom work. I like your hoist :)

InMotion

Commander

Now that's the way to flip her over!!! Nice work man!

Ready for bottom and side stripping!

J.