1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

barato2

Commander
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

maybe we can convince em to form a punk rock band and leave us alone for a while: Murphy and the Electrical Gremlins"

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

8. Finish wiring 90%>>>80%>>>70%

Are you going backwards on the wiring? Next you'll be tearing it all out and starting over. :eek:

dozerII

Admiral

maybe we can convince em to form a punk rock band and leave us alone for a while: Murphy and the Electrical Gremlins"

That would be nice.
Are you going backwards on the wiring? Next you'll be tearing it all out and starting over. :eek:

You caught that GA, yup probably have to pull the main harness or the dash, the weekend will tell.

dozerII

Admiral

Backward on electrical, so I left it alone and moved on to other things. Bell housing and bellows installed, out drive installed. Electrical tomorrow.:facepalm:

GA_Boater

You gotta play with Sparky sooner or later. Later it looks like. You probably have one wire crossed. Hope it's not to hard to find, Dozer.

myboat@i

Seaman Apprentice

O He's got a wire crossed all right:eek:good luck with that wiring Glen. Happy Easter to All!!!

dozerII

Admiral

You gotta play with Sparky sooner or later. Later it looks like. You probably have one wire crossed. Hope it's not to hard to find, Dozer.

Dealt with

O He's got a wire crossed all right:eek:good luck with that wiring Glen. Happy Easter to All!!!

Crossed is right, Happy
Easter back at ya Bro,

SOOOO I found the problem, and what really ticks me off is when I caused the problem I said to myself sheesh I wonder how close that screw is to the wiring harness. Turns out the outboard screw in the starboard forward facing bilge air intake is right above the wiring
, guess where the screw went, tied about four circuits together causing all my sleepless nights.

Closing in now, T/M is mounted, anchor roller mounted, just have to wire and finish it all.

GA_Boater

Crossed or rather screwed wiring! :eek: That could have taken a while to find. Glad it's been sussed and fixed. :smile:

InMotion

Commander

Nice forensic work there man!!! Glad to see you figured it out... now get some much needed rest!!!!

Jim

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Awe-yeah! :rockon: Good trouble-shootin' there Glen!

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Right on Glen I did the same thing installing base boards a few years ago drove a brad nail through a video cable crossing the wires screwed up the tv's in the whole house took me forever to find the problem.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good to hear ya kicked murphy to the curb..

Looking forward to the completed rig pix :) I feel a calendar covergirl pending................

dozerII

Admiral

Crossed or rather screwed wiring! :eek: That could have taken a while to find. Glad it's been sussed and fixed. :smile:

Nice forensic work there man!!! Glad to see you figured it out... now get some much needed rest!!!!

Jim

Awe-yeah! :rockon: Good trouble-shootin' there Glen!

Right on Glen I did the same thing installing base boards a few years ago drove a brad nail through a video cable crossing the wires screwed up the tv's in the whole house took me forever to find the problem.

Good to hear ya kicked murphy to the curb..

Looking forward to the completed rig pix :) I feel a calendar covergirl pending................

Thanks Guys, it was tough to find, while pulling the whole harness out from front to back it would not move when I got to the vent at the back, I gave it a real hard yank and nothing, and then I remembered putting that vent clam on and saying to myself, Self this is a poor design the wiring is right below this screw. Removed the screw and the harness fell down. See if I can get it all put back together now.

List update. Green is complete.

1. Vinyl seat boxes.
2. Make cushions for rear seats
3. Install trim pump and hoses
4. Install blower and hoses
5. Install fuel tank, hoses and water separating filter
6. Install trolling motor, battery and wiring
7. Install anchor bracket and retrieve system
8. Finish wiring 99%
9. Go through out/ drive install new water pump and then the drive.
10.Install new axle on trailer
11.Wire trailer
12. Rebuild carb
SPLASH

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey man, your short list sure is short now. I wish I could say the same. Electrical issues are one of the toughest for most people to deal with. I have a Power Probe ETC2000 system that easily helps me diagnose electrical problems. It sends a tone down the wire and displays if you have a shorted circuit and using the toner you can follow the wire right to the problem area. Super sweet tool but not cheap. Glad you found your problem and looking forward to see your splash.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey man, your short list sure is short now. I wish I could say the same. Electrical issues are one of the toughest for most people to deal with. I have a Power Probe ETC2000 system that easily helps me diagnose electrical problems. It sends a tone down the wire and displays if you have a shorted circuit and using the toner you can follow the wire right to the problem area. Super sweet tool but not cheap. Glad you found your problem and looking forward to see your splash.

Thanks WnW, that power probe sounds like the cat's meow, and electrical issues are the worst, that's why I always take the harness's apart to check everything and assume nothing, wasn't expecting to shoot myself in the foot with the screw.:facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral

Happy Easter to you and your family Glen!

Thanks BF,
Hoping to get the last of the electrical done this week, and maybe wrap up the whole project. My list contained all the big items but every time I look at here I a find a couple more little things that need tweaking. I picked up some H/D material while in the city last week to sew up a bow protector. Other than finding the electrical gremlin this weekend was mostly spent working on fifth wheels.

dozerII

Admiral

In The Red, in the sun for the first time.
Trailers wired and ready to go, decieded to change the fenders and install a set with rock shields on the inside

My favorite beverage in a Starmada coozie

Last edited: