1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

That looks really sharp Glen way better than the teak I think. and I don't think it will get to hot in the summer being shiny it should deflect the suns rays.

Thanks John, I agree on the reflecting the sun, and staying fairly cool.

The diamond plate is 1-million times better!

I trust your vision for the rear deck...I don't recall you ever making a bad design choice! :thumb:

Thanks BF

I like it, I may have to steal this idea. how thick is it? looks like it has some thickness at the finger hole.

Hey astor, I glued the diamond plate to a piece of 3/4 ply with Gorilla glue, it worked out to the exact thickness to be flush with the top of the trim. I just need to put some spar varnish on the ply and call it done.

real nice revamp dozer. some plate on rear will make it all come together real well in my opinion

Although I am not a real fan of plate it certainly does look sharp in your application and goes well with your theme.

Thanks CC and WnW

myboat@i

Seaman Apprentice

That looks soooo good fits way better with the rest of the boat cant wait to sit beside it and feel the wind in my face...LOL

dozerII

Admiral

That looks soooo good fits way better with the rest of the boat cant wait to sit beside it and feel the wind in my face...LOL

Thanks Greg, and that makes two of us.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Glen. I like the diamond plate too on this hot rod themed rebuild. I'd like to see a similar strip on the centre of the stern deck. Is there a good way to keep the aluminum from tarnishing? I worry that a smear of aluminum oxide could develop on the floor unless there's a durable coating applied. - Grandad

InMotion

Commander

Diamond plate looks wicked! Nice work there man!!! Ties the whole thing together.... and ya... a plate at the back would be worth putting on and seeing what it looks like --- I suspect it'll look great!!!

J.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Shiny reflects the sun so it shouldn't be hot, and 17 minutes come on it took 25!!

Now I'm really thinking the rear deck needs a piece of diamond plate in the center edged with black trim to follow through!!!

I forgot - you're working slow cuz you are in recuperation mode! :)

Ya sold me. :thumb: So is the new plate in? :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Oh yeah I'm liking the modern look! :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks again everyone. I am going to cut a piece of diamond plate out of what I have left and just set it on the rear deck sort of to get a feel for it, the Admiral already pooh-poohed on the idea, but I reminded her she didn't want the windshield frame black as well. I got La Look:D

Yesterday was another Murphy day, I got the motor set in and started the alignment process with no luck. I couldn't get the bar in more than have an inch. Turns out the original front wood bulkhead was built so the adjustment on the front mount had to be adjusted all the way down. I ended up pulling the front mount off the engine and routing a 1/2"deep channel for the engine mount to sit in. I'm hoping to have the alignment done today along with getting the trim pump and wiring hooked up.

myboat@i

Seaman Apprentice

Slow n steady right Glen, hopefully all goes well today

GA_Boater

Glen - If you don't watch out the Da Look is going to turn into Da Skillet. Just remind her you're on medication. :laugh: And don't over do this stuff. I know you're itchy (wrong choice of words - :eek:) and bored, but aren't you supposed to be taking it easy?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Uh oh, he's out there right now fighting that iron pig.

I don't like alignment horror stories on new mounts... gasp... :eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Glen will win that fight all day long man, he's a stud:rockon:

dozerII

Admiral

Slow n steady right Glen, hopefully all goes well today

No problem

Glen - If you don't watch out the Da Look is going to turn into Da Skillet. Just remind her you're on medication. :laugh: And don't over do this stuff. I know you're itchy (wrong choice of words - :eek:) and bored, but aren't you supposed to be taking it easy?

Easy Oh YA, I hid the iron skillets.

Uh oh, he's out there right now fighting that iron pig.

I don't like alignment horror stories on new mounts... gasp... :eek:

The iron pig was no match for ole Murphy killer.

Glen will win that fight all day long man, he's a stud:rockon:

A stud, ya right 2X4 92 5/8" :D pictures in a bit.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Okay, big update. Motor is in.

Still have to hook everything up.

Post man brought me an order from Iboats.

And then (Mister I Can't Make up My Mind) decided not to use the roller trailer:facepalm: the boat was just too high off the ground, my chin was the same height as the rubrail. So the trailer I brought home from Utah got pulled into the shop and got a make over.
It started out life as wobble roller trailer and is now bunk. the following pictures show the make over. I had to order a new axle for it as the old one has negative camber.

Continued.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Adjusting bolts

Center bunks.

Loading the boat

Continued

dozerII

Admiral

Loaded.

Trailer will get a repaint next winter, after I use and adjust it over the summer.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man Glen, that is a big update! Nice work getting the engine in :thumb: Good solutions on the trailer rehab, I can that was a fair amount of work there too buddy. Looks like a great fit:encouragement:

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That looks great Glen. I vote for chrome paint for the trailer next winter :laugh:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well done!!!!! Power plant in, trailer refurb, and boat loaded up. Man if I didn't know any better I would say you are working for commission as you certainly are blasting through the work. Looks great.

GA_Boater

Man, Glen - You are making some great progress. Glad you're painting the trailer. That surface rust on the cross-member just won't do for the Queen above, :D