1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

100_0658.jpg

Just got this bench in the garage cleaned off and now more stuff.

100_0663.jpg

Bandsaw is done

100_0669.jpg

I even ordered the right size I'll probably weld this together tomorrow

100_0670.jpg

Removed the old hitch coupler as well definitely showing its age

100_0671.jpg

I think this will be better but.......

100_0672.jpg

This end of tubing has seen better days will need to measure and see if I can cut some off of it. So while I'm measuring I stick the fold away thing on the trailer and notice that my jack will hit it when I swivel it up so that will need to be moved or modified as well and decide that's enough for today.

yooperangler

She's cleaning up nicely Yooper... I suspect Starcraft didn't bother with a drain in the bow rib as even a small amount of throttle would lift the bow enough to drain water sternwards? Could be wrong though... it has been known! :D

TII

Thanks for the response Triton You may be right although I doubt this girl will pull many wheelies with the 65 horse after I put in all that 3/4" plywood but possible if I put the biggest guy on the splashwell ,looking for volunteers :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yoop! You are a 5 min drive from the north pole and all of your snow is gone! Man, my neck of the wood is still completely covered in the white water!

Hey, great progress man:)

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Yoop, you are making great progress on the project, lots of things on the go at one time. Those tougne swing kits are the cast meow. We put the bolt on kit on the buddies trailer and it allowed him to put his boat in the garage sideways in front of the vehicles. Are you welding or bolting the ball adaper on? When I bolt them on, I cut pieces of 1/2 pipe to fit tight in the tube so you can tighten them properly without crushing the tube like so many like to do.
Glen

yooperangler

Thanks Glen I will be bolting it and think the 1/2" pipe is a great idea and would have prevented the problem I have now. I went with the weld on swing kit because (A) I have the welder and (2):) I really hate drilling holes through square tubing especially since my drill press died as my 1/2 " drill likes to beat me up. Sadly I need to drill holes in the other end anyway:( Thanks for stopping by and the info I will use the 1/2" pipe trick as I already have some bolts long enough to fit through.

Jas snow is gone here in town but still cold and plenty of snow left on the higher ground and in the woods still ice on the bay (although it went away for a day or so) and tents up fishing again today when I went to work thanks for checking in and hope the snow stays on your side of the bridge:D

Ez I got all screwed up on my ordering and ordered the seloc from Iboats I hope it will work and my johnson doesn't turn into a mercury:rolleyes: Also forgot to order the right bilge pump (you had suggested ) and ordered one of those red white and blue ones from cabelas as that was when I remembered:facepalm:" I need a bilge pump":facepalm:Truly amazing considering I have a notebook full of notes saying order this ,do that, but apparently can't read my own writing!!!!

Lastly I'm still waiting on volunteers to stand on the splashwell when I take off ???

yooperangler

In any case I did nothing tonight on the boat (although I thought about it all day) instead I went out to camp and had a few beers with the brother in laws ? Brothers in law ? brother ins law ? I did however bring home my air compressor which should count as progress:cool:

yooperangler

No worries CB I'll throw a pool noodle in the back she'll never sink:rolleyes::)

Triton II

Commander

Lastly I'm still waiting on volunteers to stand on the splashwell when I take off ???

Love to Yoop, but there are a few small issues.

1. I only travel business class... so you're stumping for the airfare.
2. I only weigh 160lbs.
3. I hate the cold.
4. My volunteer day rate is $500.00 plus expenses.

If you're happy with all of that, give me a hoy! :)

TII

yooperangler

Love to Yoop, but there are a few small issues.

1. I only travel business class... so you're stumping for the airfare.
2. I only weigh 160lbs.
3. I hate the cold.
4. My volunteer day rate is $500.00 plus expenses.

If you're happy with all of that, give me a hoy! :)

TII

I would be really tempted if it weren't for #2 I don't think 160 # would help :D Maybe I'll run her over to Australia in a few years but first I have to get her finished so I can invade Canada:cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's the spirit, take on the easy targets first! :D

TII

Yah, I think between Yoop and 2 or 3 other MI metal boat guys we can pretty well take the maple leaf to the north.:D:D

yooperangler

That's the spirit, take on the easy targets first! :D

TII

At this point I can only build my empire one country at a time and its not my fault Canadians are easy:D (that might be a new thread all by itself :rolleyes:)

yooperangler

Anyway there hasn't been much progress lately between the weather and other distractions but that won't stop me from posting a few pics:D

100_0673.jpg

Got 2 gallons of composite the other day and it came with some free flotation for Jas's jet:rolleyes:

100_0674.jpg

Finished welding on that swing away thingy still haven't drilled the holes for the coupler (maybe tonight)

100_0676.jpg

Needed to move the Jack on trailer as well

100_0677.jpg

yooperangler

100_0678.jpg

Got some stuff yesterday as well the gluvit finally cleared customs:D Now if only the weather would cooperate

100_0681.jpg

Nothing fancy but got 3 of these so guess she's gonna be blue and white someday

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some stuff for the boat, cool:)

I really like the look of those seats...just make sure not to get any fish blood on those(just kidding we know that's impossible).:D

That Gluvit is the most important item;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Would it suprize you if I said it crossed my mind? Yah, didn't think so.:D

They soak up water any way:rolleyes:

Nice work man!

yooperangler

Just put em in a ziplock Jas:D

O.K. figure its time to show you guys I haven't been completely slacking off the last couple of days. It's been getting a bit warmer in the afternoons the last few days so I decided to finish up that swing away hitch and while I was working on that I decided to start on the rest of the front of the trailer:eek:

100_0682.jpg

basically how it looked before with swing away welded on

100_0683.jpg

Removing the rusty crusty winch

100_0684.jpg

I've decided I'm too cheap to replace this so just going to clean it all up a little and spray bomb it.

100_0697.jpg

Didn't spend much time on it but not too bad had a can of appliance epoxy I used on this not sure how it will hold up but stuff sure does stick.

yooperangler

100_0686.jpg

Just some tear down picks as we go along boring I know but might as well post em since I took em:D

100_0687.jpg

Figured since I have the air compressor home I might as well do this the easy way

100_0688.jpg

100_0689.jpg

100_0690.jpg

Just cleaned these up quick with a wire wheel and a little steel wool no fancy shmancy polishing job but good enough for me.