1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

I'd want 8+HP for a kicker. Not sure on long or short shaft. Either would probably work but a long shaft might be nice if you're bobbing the swells. I love this link for showing an EZ steer type setup http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrage/Kicker/ You may have room on the transom. I kinda do and I have a wider V4.

A quart size Gluvit JUST did my 18'. So you can probably get away with that (work from back to front).

I like this bilge pump http://www.iboats.com/SeaSense-Auto...0106585--**********.359092672--view_id.392307 built is float switch. Works on auto or manual. I put it in both the boats I've had. Get this while you're at it http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Bilg...80106585--**********.359092672--view_id.56027

I used 3 gallons of epoxy on my deck. My wood was particularly thirsty. North Beach used marine grade and used way less.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd probably want a 7.5-15hp kicker for that rig. A bracket should be ok bolted thru the transom, maybe use a nice backing plate to add strength?

The $50 gluvit kit(1 quart) should be enough, I did my 16' and 12' rigs with one can.

I am using a 5.5hp kicker that is a shortie, with a bracket you won't need a longshaft.

Do you have a dollar store nearby? I got my floation noodles at a Dollar Tree pretty cheap.

Congrats on getting that transom out, looks like it took a little convincing.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, planning ahead is a good thing for you buddy. In your neck of the wood, a "quick" trip to the lumber yard can be a time consuming and expensive thing to do!

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ez bilge pump looks perfect thanks for linking the hose as well since as soon as I saw the pump I thought "now all I need is the hose" then I checked your next link nice:D

HA There are a few dollar stores around and I may choose to throw a few noodles in (just to be able to say I did) but after seeing Jas's Psychedelic flotation I realize I can't compete in the originality department:)

Jas Yeah we have a local lumber yard and a couple of hardware stores our marine dealership closed probably 10 years ago so I'm hoping Menards will order most of the stuff I need for reconstruction, hook up the trailer and go get it all in one shot. They may even have a suitable epoxy not sure yet whether marine is even a necessity. Also considering the aruco (arucapuco ? pucarauco? Aucapoco ?) plywood or any good exterior grade for that matter as it seems (based on the condition of the old unprotected deck) that almost anyway I do it the floor will out last me:cool: Also seriously considering the marine vinyl as I feel it will give my side panels (hopefully with little doors and hardware here and there) a more finished look than just painting.

Anyway lots of cold weather and lots of time left to think and plan,biggest problem at this point seems to be picking colors as cabelas has some cheap seats in the bargain cave I wouldn't mind getting a few of before boating season kicks in and price goes up.:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

but after seeing Jas's Psychedelic flotation

Very sorry you had to see that yoop. I felt it was my ethical duty to fully disclose my build "issues".

Don't bother trying to find epoxy at Menards, they have some but not what you are looking for. US Composites or Clarkcraft are great suppliers for epoxy.

They do carry Auraco Ply which is cool.

Cheers man!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Yooper, what area of da UP are ya?

yooperangler

North centralish little town called Lanse on keewenaw bay

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

North centralish little town called Lanse on keewenaw bay

Very nice. We deer hunt in Menominee county down by Dagget/Stephenson. Best part of the year for me is going across that bridge every November.

yooperangler

Yeah I like it up here. I'm sure Stephenson area has a lot more deer these days than we do at least around our camp (and most of this area) the wolves have really taken over but still always nice to get out in the woods. I'm strongly considering not even hunting this year getting old enough to just sit in camp and drink beer anyway:D

yooperangler

Just a quick update no progress lately busy week with family in town etc but couldn't wait any longer so started ordering stuff:) Went with the us composites epoxy (thanks Jas) 2 gals on the way doubt its enough but a start I guess. also zc, gluvit, control cables,motor paint, transom drain tubes (thanks ez )some trailer parts etc.... I'll be off tuesday and Wednesday so will probably make a run to menards for some plywood and foam, rivets, aluminum angle, 5200 etc so I can start getting floor and console pieces cut and dry fit between cleaning and sanding :cool:

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah I like it up here. I'm sure Stephenson area has a lot more deer these days than we do at least around our camp (and most of this area) the wolves have really taken over but still always nice to get out in the woods. I'm strongly considering not even hunting this year getting old enough to just sit in camp and drink beer anyway:D

I've heard a lot of complaints on the wolf situation, even though the dnr says otherwise. I don't think there much an issue where we are but its just a matter of time.

yooperangler

Yeah CB I hear plenty of complaints and concerns as well. Doesn't bother me having them around but I do think its past time to manage the population. I've lived in The U.P. most of my life and have spent much of it hunting and fishing or just wandering around in the woods. A person can spend a whole lot of time out there and never see a coyote or bobcat or bear for that matter but these days you will probably see a wolf. I had one follow and watch me for awhile during muzzle loader season impressive animal up close but wouldn't want to be any closer.

In any case I made a little progress today started out doing some sanding on the gunwales and hull, when I got tired of that I did some more sanding and then sanded some more after that:D I'm still considering getting some stripper and trying to remove all the old paint but it is really stuck well just a lot of scratches and dings.

100_0630.jpg

After awhile I got bored with sanding and decided just for fun I would start cleaning up the hull and remove the stringers between sanding and more sanding.

100_0631.jpg

100_0632.jpg

100_0634.jpg

100_0635.jpg

yooperangler

100_0636.jpg

Just getting the heavier stuff off with the drill and a wire wheel for now hoping it will make it easier when I start scrubbing someday.Pic gives a pretty good idea of before and after.

100_0642.jpg

100_0643.jpg

Found this in a limber hole for those who don't know this is how we used to open our beer:cool:

100_0644.jpg

I had to think about this for a couple of beers but eventually decided an old hack saw blade would work well for cleaning out the limber holes. I bent the end of it for a handle and it worked well for most of them some were cemented so tight with old nightcrawler dirt,fish hooks, swivels and teeny weeny split shot I had to drive a small screwdriver in first.

100_0646.jpg

Pretty much how I left it for today back was aching and still needed to start a little yard work to get a few browny points from the little woman (snow is mostly gone). I still have a little more to do in the back but a man can only have so much fun in one day

Huron Angler

Admiral

What are you using to sand? Orbital or palm sander? I've used 80-120 grit on mine so far. Lots of sanding for me ahead too.:)

I've seen plenty of coyotes up north but haven't spent time in the UP recently. Good thing the wolves have weak deer to prey on. Out west they are going after cattle and sheep, causing lots of damage.

yooperangler

I'm using both at the moment as my orbital doesn't fit very well on the gunwales and wants to eat the rivets that hold them together. I don't honestly know what grit I've been using as its just what I had laying around so far. I think the orbital discs were 80 or 100 and the vibrating sander might be 60 or so (had some cut up already so thats what went on it:) ) It really doesn't seem to matter as this old paint is tough and seems to come off as a fine powder without scratching regardless of grit. I'll be hitting it all again with something finer before I think about painting anyway.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great progress yoop, you are moving along really well!

yooperangler

Thanks Jas although after yesterday I'm not moving much today:rolleyes:

Its question time again:eek:

I don't seem to have any limber hole, drainage hole, hole thingy, under this rib in the bow its the only one that doesn't and seems to fit quite close to the bottom any one else have this problem?

100_0634.jpg

I hope I won't have much water in the bow but.... I guess I could try drilling a hole through it or bending it up from the bottom a bit but figure I'll mess something up either way??

yooperangler

Today I finished with the wire brushing on the hull

100_0651.jpg

Then removed the rest of the bow wood, rod holders, disco lights etc....

100_0652.jpg

100_0653.jpg

This piece was a pain as gunwales ran over the top of it on the ends I think I'll remove a few rivets before trying to get a new one in

100_0654.jpg

100_0655.jpg

100_0660.jpg

Then I pulled and pushed the old girl outside so I could clean (I use that term loosely)
the garage and find my bandsaw to start work on the trailer hitch as parts should be here soon

yooperangler

100_0661.jpg

Found it :D Just squaring up the end of the hitch to install a swing away adapter I have on order. Right about this time the little woman comes home and says I have a bunch of stuff on the front porch:cool:

100_0657.jpg

Threw the temp sensitive stuff in the basement for now, most of my Iboats order didn't come yet and gluvit is backordered but have some primer and a few other goodies to play with:) Also vinyl for the floor I'm nowhere near ready to build and wire for the downriggers that probably won't get used this year :eek:

Triton II

Commander

She's cleaning up nicely Yooper... I suspect Starcraft didn't bother with a drain in the bow rib as even a small amount of throttle would lift the bow enough to drain water sternwards? Could be wrong though... it has been known! :D

TII