1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Hey Thrill, did you use PL to put your transom in and if you did how did it work? I thought I read that in another thread. Boat is looking good

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Thrill, did you use PL to put your transom in and if you did how did it work? I thought I read that in another thread. Boat is looking good

Yes sir, we used one layer of csm to laminate them together. Used pl premium and a v notch small trowel to glue it in. Worked great!

thrillhouse700

HOLY CRAP!!!! We are done painting!!!!

4th coat went on this morning. We still have a decent amount of dust in the final coat, even after wetting the ground, blowing out the garage AGAIN.
For all the guys that want to know or care, we got the best results with perfection as follows:

1. Load up the sponge roller to about medium full, if its dripping off obviously too much. I say medium at first because we noticed the thing will suck up paint the first couple dips and cause a little too light of a coat. (This is with a HD roller)

2. Get as MUCH dust out of your painting area as possible, we feared if we tented it without proper ventilation A. we would die, and B. the humidity levels would skyrocket.

3. Lighting was key, see pics.

Tips we got from the interlux help line.

4. when rolling it on if your pressing down on the roller hard enough to leave a raised paint line you are pressing down too hard. For us this meant too little paint.

If your barely pressing down on the roller at all for us this meant too much paint and it caused runs.

5. we thinned out 10% on this coat, seemed to work best for us. Temp was 72 humidity was 76-78.

6. Wait 30-40 seconds before tipping, you will see the paint bubbles start to pop on their own and slightly level out. Then you tip it off.

7. When tipping off we found that if we did it like on the video it left awful brush marks. We got a Badger hair brush from west marine for 22 &#^#*(# dollers.

According to the help line, you are BARELY touching the paint and I mean barely. The brush marks left behind were very shallow and would level out in about 5 mins.

8. Don't drink a lot of coffee and NOT eat before you do this, Shakey hands are not good.

Here is our light stand we built. On dark colors its VERY hard to see any imperfections without a glare on the paint. We built two of these for around 30 bucks. Place them to the left or right of where your painting and tipping so you can look into the glare of the paint to see lines and roller marks.
Light.jpg

Here is our final coat.
Front4thcoat.jpg

Right4thcoat.jpg

left4thcoat.jpg

Sorry the pics are somewhat grainy because of the lights in the background, oops.

But we did have some stupid hairs fall into the paint, not sure what we will do about that yet. We had one spot where it looked like a dust bunny or a dust cow fell onto the boat from who knows where and that part looks awful.

You can already see the dust piling up on it. we know we have dust in the paint but we did EVERYTHING we could to minimize dust, we just have bad luck I guess. Overall we are happy enough to move on with the project.

We painted one of our used thinner cans with the perfection and placed it in a dusty area so it would collect dust, in a couple days we are going to test what kind of polishes or compounds remove the dust and not too much of the gloss. We shall see what happens.

I think the next time we do this we will................................... oh who am I kidding I never want to paint ANYTHING ever again.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thrill, it looks fantastik from many feet away :) Any truth telling close up shots to come? hehe :eek:

I'm glad you are satisfied with this coat. I know what an absolute pain it is to resand every ^%&$%^ time a coat messes up (seemingly every coat). From the far away shots it looks sparkling, which is likely how it'll look on the water, too. Try not to get too caught up in staring at it on your trailer. Soon enough it'll have some nice big scratches and you won't even notice the dust dinosaurs. ;) Now what I'm wondering is.. with that black paint, will the searing hot hull convert the water to steam and help your go faster? All this trouble should be worth an extra 2-3MPH by steam generation alone!

Good tips on the application, BTW. Sometimes I swear I'm two months behind getting really great advice at every turn. Being the cannonfodder isn't what the pamphlet promised. And as bad as it sounds, I'm glad to see someone else with similar nightmare paint results. Makes me feel less like a moron for attempting it and failing miserably :)

thrillhouse700

Yeah I have a couple up close shots, but you cant see the dust because of the gloss. But trust me its there. Unless someone knows of a camera setting that allows me to catch dust on super glossy surface.

The dust isnt HORRIBLE but it does kind of upset me when I look at it. The coat and the tipping turned out great tho.

Another tip for those that will attempt this, make sure you do a test run with your brush on an inconspicuous place. I say this because one side of our brush had some rogue bristles that left grooves no matter what angle or how light, the other side laid it down nice.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be willing to bet a coat of wax will hide the dust completely and simply running the boat on the water will slowly grind it smooth. I don't recall ever seeing a paint job with dust sticking in it, and they all get dust in them to some extent. It must go away eventually.. or so I hope.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Thrill, The paint looks great Sorry to hear about the dust bunnies.
Glad to hear your happy enough with the outcome to call it another milestone and move forward to the next aspect of your project. Keep up the great work.
PS- You've convinced me, I was going to two-tone with some navy blue BUT now think I'll paint mine white. Dark colors look like they are less forgiving and I don't have your paitence for it, I'd wind up using the boat for target practice :eek:

thrillhouse700

Indeed, dark colors are less forgiving. Its a good amount of work, and we COULD get it better if we tented it but Im done. I called interlux support again and they said to use 3m perfect it polish to maybe smooth out some of the dust then wax. so we will most likely do that.

Next monday we will have it back on the trailer and start doing our glass work on our already cut deck pieces. After that, we glass in the deck and throw the top back on and ready for prep on the top!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Sweet deal.....rock on!!!!!!!!!! bottom paint CHECK done!!!

I was wondering since you live right near the ocean
...r u going on the ocean with that boat? or Lake / River only?

keep up the great work! :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

After going back quickly over you thread, I didnt see much on whether the outdrive was good and whether or not the engine ran / runs etc...

man that hull almost looks like clear coated black plastic...the new Bat boat!
real slick job on the paint and your woodwork is perfection to say the least....

with your skills perhaps you should've been a cabinetmaker or something along those lines! super duper nice work Thrill...you and your pal...I am assuming he is still helping....

thrillhouse700

Yes sir he is still helping. The wood working on my end came from my dad. That was his passion he built all our end tables and dressers growing up, I helped and learned. I'm not sure where my friend learned it, but he is good also.

The drive needs some work, impeller, some seals, shift shaft.

The motor runs, but needs a carb rebuild and hopefully that's it.

Forgot to mention we scored huge at West Marine yesterday, we found a camo pedestal seat on clearance for 16 bucks, and a white bimini top (top only) for 36 bucks on clearance. Camo seat will be turned into a shop chair, since camo won't match the boat.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Vinyl paint that seat for this year... if you are low on funds...
not sure your boat layout would be good for a fishing seat anyways being a bowrider / tri hull
cool score tho!

I was checking ou tIboats LED lighting for storage areas / engine box and accent lighting...they actually have some real cool deals starting at $5
link HERE
northinig worse than no light in a broke down eng compartment or searching for junk at night with a dead flashlight...we put some lights in our Glastron and it was the best thing we've done since we always came back at night 8 or 9pm from our summer drinkfests lol

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

!!!!Hyjack Alert, Hyjack Alert !!!! Alert Will Smith, Alert!! ( Lost in space for those to young to remember) Lol

Hey Vegas, I've been looking at thoes lights and arguing with myself over deck lighting. Right now the boat uses 1156 bulbs (old scool) or something like that. I was looking at the LED's any experiance as to what would work

Bill

thrillhouse700

BWAHAHAHA well we all hijacked ur guys threads so its my turn..... Have at it!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

BWAHAHAHA well we all hijacked ur guys threads so its my turn..... Have at it!

Hey Man, How have you been?
I haven't been on much untill yesterday, life has been taking its toll.

Glad to see your finished painting, did you get the boat flipped yet? can't wait to see what you do with the deck. I don't have time to work on my own project so I have to live vicariously through you lol

Last edited:

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

P.S. sorry for the spelling edit To much Jose Cuervo and Margaritas:D

thrillhouse700

Yeah, no biggie. The boat will get flipped hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Then glass time. I'm excited to build all the custom stuff, stereo, rod holders, under deck storage.

Debating on putting a vinyl decal on the side of the boat, but not sure what yet, If we do it it will be something we design ourselves. Where or can you get decals that will last in the water? Has anyone done this?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

If you want, I can ask my sign guy what will work.he is very experianced in all this. I know he does things for the coast gaurd.
I personally would find a good sheet metal shop and have something laser cut in 316SS.Don't do plazma, it has to be lazer for a clean professinal look. I will try to fi nd a pick of my Dirt track car that has some lazer cuts to show you what I mean

thrillhouse700

Why do I want it cut from stainless? haha I just want a sticker basically.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Why do I want it cut from stainless? haha I just want a sticker basically.

Just a suggestion, Im a sheet metal Guy, HVAC and all that jazz, I instantly think metal, what can I say LOL

I was thinking of a fancy lazer cut emblem with that nice shinny black background, a little pizazzaz, with a factory look.