1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Wow, Thrill, you are just flying on your boat. What lit a fire under your butt? I ask because I need it, too! The jumpseat bases are just a work of art. Way to use those creative juices!

Sorry to hear about the hinges you bought. What poo poo! How can anyone ethically sell that junk? I'm interested to see how the doghouse turns out. I seems a fair bit tall to me. Can you look the other jumpseat rider in the eye from beside it? Also, how does it work for quick engine access? Can you nab a shot of it while it's open?

As for the mystery part.. I'll have to go with bow cooler.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The engine dog house is not that tall :) You can def see the other person on the other side of it. It sits at about the bottom of my shoulder, we measured the old engine cover and the height of the engine at its highest point from the bottom of the engine mount. It sits at 27.5" to the top of the engine I believe. I would have to measure it next time I go back to lost causes house.

As for the fire lit under our butts, we want to get the boat done by the time "river season" starts. Money is the biggest set back, we are basically just doing what we can with what we have. We need more resin but can't afford it right now, so we are doing all of the building first, due to the abundance of scrap wood we have.

We are also going to need to start prepping the top for paint, need to buy paint, primer, cleaners, rags, sand paper, you know the list hahaha.

Then kiwigrip isn't cheap either..........so we will more than likely stop working on it once we run out of "free" things to do.

thrillhouse700

Here u go lowkee, some more pics for u.
Doghouseopen.jpg

Doghouseopeninside.jpg

LostCause.jpg

And another clue to what that box is!!! Your close lowkee on your guess.

Box.jpg

redfury

Commander

Bet that box is a cooler/livewell/baitwell for up front ;)

thrillhouse700

So jamestown got back to me, they don't have another supplier for those latches, (remember these are latches NOT hinges).

These latches are the perfect height to where they dont stick up higher than the top of the dog house. Does anyone have any suggestions for other latches that are not too hard on the wallet?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
I'm not sure who manufactured these latches but it looks exactly like the latch you have. It's only $11.59 each at www.go2marine.com. I hope this helps. I will also continue to search.
Bob
Addition sources
1. www.reddenmarine.com
2. ca.binnacle.com
3. www.pridemarine.com
I did a search for marine anti rattle latches and found several other sources I did not list.
I hope you can find the quality of latch you are looking for and get rid of that junk.

Last edited:

thrillhouse700

Sorry Im not seeing the 11 dollar ones........ Thank you for the info bob!!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700 Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I'm not seeing the 11 dollar ones........ Thank you for the info bob!!!
Thats pretty wild, I was just there and I copied it from their site and now it's $14.49, wow.
Try some of the other sites. One had them from 8.99, 11.99 and 17.99.
Unless they raised in the last hour too.
Bob

thrillhouse700

Hey bob I found em, for some reason your right they went up hahaha.

Here are the pics of how we are going to mount them.

LatchPosition2.jpg

Latchposition.jpg

The ones we got fit pretty good, the latch doesnt go over the top of the dog house, I searched for antirattle fastener also and there are only a few that are tall enough. Ours are 4" long if you lay them out flat.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey, Glad to help.
That should work out pretty sweet.
Bob

thrillhouse700

So oddly enough the latches on jamestown website (which is currently down), are seafarer or seasomething, the latches I received was whitecap. So I took it upon myself to throw whitecap an email expressing my opinion of their products. It goes as follows:

"Hello, I purchased some anti rattle latches from jamestown distributors that were produced by your company. I am currently in the process of returning them due to the fact they look like they were chrome plated by a 5 year old. I was emailing you to ask why your website claims that you produce quality? Your latches have proven to be a tremendous waste of time and money. If I could attach pics to this contact form I would so that someone could see the lack of quality in your products. I would be as embarrassed as a grown adult urinating in his pants in a public place if I ever attached these to my boat. Friends of mine who have seen the latches advised me not to let them touch my boat unless they were accidentally dropped on it. I know you probably don't care about my problem but I figured Id waste some of your time like you have wasted mine. Please try some quality control. Thank you for reading this.
Sincerely,
Will never purchase your garbage again."

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PM me your address, i have some latches here from a couple different engine covers that i can send you, you might be able to use them.

i might also have a pair of these in the shed, they are spring loaded and come in pairs

http://www.etrailer.com/p-B5129100.htm

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Those chrome spring loaded hood latches look perfect! I have a similar set on my lawn tractor and they are nice.

thrillhouse700

We have some of those jeep style latches for the inside of the dog house. Are those spring or rubber inserts?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

We have some of those jeep style latches for the inside of the dog house. Are those spring or rubber inserts?

Hey Thrill, you guys are doing one heck of a job.

With the jeep style latches, I know the ones on my jeep are spring

thrillhouse700

Man, I emailed whitecap and they tried to feed me some story about how these latches are as good as they get when sand casting.

Here is the email. No I am not being professional in my emails because i will not ever buy there products again. I'm not cursing or making any personal attacks.

"Thank you for your e-mail. While, as a businessman, I don't appreciate
the words you used in writing to us, I do appreciate your concern about
the lack of quality of the product you purchased thru Jamestown. While
I don't have the exact product you received, I do understand the
construction of the product so I want to explain to you what I believe
the problem you are viewing.

P/N S-0054 is a chrome plated brass anti-rattle hold down normally used
to hold down hatches, anchor lockers or dock boxes. The production of
this product is by a process called sand casting. Sand casting is used
because the heat of the metal often destroys the tool used to form the
product and the sand mold will prolong the life of the tool. If this
process is not used, the constant cost of re-tooling will increase the
cost of the product to a point where it will not be worthy of the retail
price it would require. The major problem with sand casting is there
are times where holes or "craters" form on the product and cannot be
fixed.
I am wondering if that is the complaint you have with the
product.

If you would like, I would be willing to replace the product for you.
But please understand, the product will not have as smooth a finish as a
chrome plated zinc or cast stainless steel product. Those products are
made from a different process which allows for a flat, smooth finish
with no chance for either holes or craters. If that is the type of
finish you are looking for, you will need to find a similar product as
ours but in either of those materials. But you may have to pay a
different cost."

Seriously? so everything that is sand cast can't be polished and prepped properly before being dipped? Its just like painting, almost all prep work. What a load of crap. I don't care if they make the ONLY part Im looking for I will go to a machine shop and pay 4 times the price just to not buy their product.

I wish HVAC was running this guys company haha.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
I have used molds that were sand casted and then the cavity cut and polished and they would be worthless to me if they couldn't be. My molds are made of aluminum but they can be cleaned up if they want to take the time.
Bob

thrillhouse700

My buddies dad is a sema award winner for the racemate alternator. He has a cnc machine, sand casts, and all sorts of other great stuff. Lost causes and my buddy that we go shooting with is over and used to work at a hotrod shop and he said they sand casted **** all the time, then polished it and chromed.

This guy is feeding me bull, thinking I am some punk kid that doesn't know anything and it really fires me up haha.

Anywho, Thanks for all the great info and responses, I love iboats :)