1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

redfury

Commander
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

cable routing is going to be nice and out of the way with that control set into the gunwale like that. Glastron was so nice to fiberglass sections of cardboard tube under my gunwales to route electrical, etc to keep it up and out of the way...if you don't have that already....just an idea ;). 30 years old and the cardboard is as dry and intact as it was when they did the work.

MIA? Yeah, kind of...darn Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook had me pretty addicted there for a while...I think I might start a support group :D. My cashflow and desire has dried up for a bit, so I'm hoping to regain a little bit of both over the winter and perhaps get something done boat related, even if I can't work on the hull. I have the original plastic molded dash ( most of it ) that I need to build a new one out of...just a matter of getting to it.

Of course, I think of this on the last day of my winter vacation :eek:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

wow those rod holders fit like a glove!

looking fwd to seeing this baby all together

redfury

Commander

wow those rod holders fit like a glove!

I was going to comment on that but forgot. They look like they were meant to be there Thrill...seriously. I want to do similar to my boat, but I have to make other accommodations when I get around to building something for the Glastron....I gotta get that floor in this spring so I can start doing actual fun stuff to the boat!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So we ordered some latches from jamestown distributors for our engine cover. I have never been so appalled at the lack of quality control in my whole life. The chrome plating on these are awful, it looks like Micheal J. Fox did the chrome plating. Im soooooooooo pissed. How can any company knowingly sell this crap, and charge 15 bux per latch at that. These things belong in a 99 cent store.

UgliestLatchesever.jpg

UgliestLatchesever2.jpg

These are them, notice the obviously photoshopped product picture.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...familyName=Seafarer+Anti-Rattle+Door+Fastener

And I ran across the street and had my neighbors 3 year old whip up a quick picture that more accurately depicts the awesomeness of these latches. Hopefully they will use this picture as the product picture so people know what they are buying.

untitled.jpg

sprintst

Commander

I like the whole truth in marketing theme. They should use your pic and pay you for it as well. I just laughed out loud at your positive spin on the situation including the Michael J Fox thing :D

You should almost take a dump in a box and mail it back them as they are both the same quality.

I'm going to try the marpac take apart boat hinges. They are open one one side so depending on how I orient the hinges I can slide it to the side and pop the whole engine cover off.

Attachments

• IMG00467 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00467 (Medium).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0

thrillhouse700

OOO those are really nice, we have our hinges already or else id be in for those for sure!

system-f

You are doing the EXACT same thing with your gunwales that I want to do. Get rid of the side panels and completely except you have figured out how to do it and given me some seriously awesome ideas. I was just going to keep a small section of gunwale side panel to house the control, but instead might try putting a large gunwale panel up to house the controls.

Also, I have the EXACT same merc control and mine is in good shap except for the black plastic housing that I cracked trying to remove the controls. I am 90% sure I am going to get some new controls with trim/tilt in the lever and you are more than welcome to my old control assuming I can ever get it apart. I will get some pictures tonight if you want them.

thrillhouse700

You are doing the EXACT same thing with your gunwales that I want to do. Get rid of the side panels and completely except you have figured out how to do it and given me some seriously awesome ideas. I was just going to keep a small section of gunwale side panel to house the control, but instead might try putting a large gunwale panel up to house the controls.

Also, I have the EXACT same merc control and mine is in good shap except for the black plastic housing that I cracked trying to remove the controls. I am 90% sure I am going to get some new controls with trim/tilt in the lever and you are more than welcome to my old control assuming I can ever get it apart. I will get some pictures tonight if you want them.

Oh sweet!!! System f let me know when if you get your new controls and i will for sure take yours off your hands. Glad our ideas help people. If you have any questions for us just ask. Just know most of our designs/ideas took a bunch of arguing on how it should be done and designing and re designing, then redesigning again :)

Right now we are doing something intense, we don't know if you guys will like it or not but we shall post up pictures once we get it a little more figured out hahaha. Yesterday we were designing it and arguing all day and got 2 pieces of wood cut.

system-f

I am having trouble removing the control lever, maybe you can help. The instructions say the black button should come out, but it dosen't and I don't want to damage anything further on the controls especially now since someone else can use them. When I get home tonight I will mess with it more and get it boxed up. the more and more I think about it I do not want the stock control lever. I really need something that I can quickly trim out the drive with...even more so than I need a ski tower.

thrillhouse700

yeah the black button is the neutral safety switch, it is supposed to pop off. What we did was take the set screw completely out, then have a friend hold the control box. Pull the lever as straight out as u possibly can.

Here is a paint mock up of how the button is attached, hope this helps....
Ours looked very brittle so who knows if it will go back on but I know that it came off in one piece haha.

NSSButton.jpg

I replaced a cable on my merc controls this past summer, a 20 minute project turn into 7 days cause i couldn't get the stupid arm off!!! the black button on mine twisted out then is when i ran into the problem of the arm hadn't come off in over 30 years. Once you get the button out you might want to try a 3 point puller.

~Adam

system-f

That sounds like my problem... Thrill I didn't have time to work on the controls tonight as I have a new foster dog. I will get to it sometime this week.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
If I were you I would go with the marpac style that is whatI have on my boat and it was really great when I wanted to work around the engine. You can just remove the engine cover in seconds and it's extremely stable when in place.
As for the controls I may have a set for someone also. I've been looking at the new Teleflex controls for mine. My old controls have the tilt and trim buttons on them too.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Those latches are awful. You are going to send those back... right?

thrillhouse700

Those latches are awful. You are going to send those back... right?

I want to send them back, but my problem is the perko latches are waaay too tall, and the next latch that will fit will cost 60 dollars each and I can't swing that. I may very well be stuck with these. Im not happy at all, sent an email to jamestown and no word yet.

redfury

Commander

Well, tell them that the old ones are coming back, and if they can't find a set to send you that look as advertised, then to refund your money. Those latches should simply never hit any part of your boat unless you dropped them on it by accident.

thrillhouse700

So we finished our gunwale pads. Speakers ended up recessed about 2/3 of the way but I think they came out great.

PassengerGunwaledone.jpg

Here is the drivers side gunwale pads, the throttle control came out amazing recessed into the pad.

DriverGunwaledone.jpg

Here is a teaser pic of the next thing we are working on. Can anyone guess what its going to be? BTW this thing was a PITA to build.

Abox.jpg

system-f

What foam did you use behind the gunwales? Was it that same walmart stuff?

thrillhouse700

Yup same stuff, oh and the package says "Gauranteed 100% waterproof"