1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

~~Hi everyone.
Charles (KC4ZQZ) was my dad. This was the thread that he started when he began to restore his 1974 Ouachita. I know that he really enjoyed and appreciated the opinions and advice that he received from many of you on this site. He passed away on March 6, 2013, with this boat in mid restoration. The backdrop is that he purchased the boat new in 1974 (it was an orchid/pinkish color) and soon after painted it blue. Years passed, the boat got a lot of use, and eventually dry rot and some other issues necessitated a restoration (I think he starting at least thinking/planning sometime in 2011). When he passed in 2013, the boat was mostly rebuilt (see previous posts on this thread for a run-through), and he was waiting for the paint to arrive so that he could finish up.

When he passed, my mom and I were left with empty holes in our hearts and an upside down (almost finished) boat in our garage. After his passing, we immediately starting looking for someone to finish it (we had no clue what to do but a strong urge to NOT leave this business unfinished). We talked to friends, family members, coworkers, etc, and a lot of people initially agreed to help but eventually just stopped calling us back. Ultimately, my mom remembered this website and got in contact with Wood-on-Glass (Mike) because she remembered that my dad had discussions with him and admired and appreciated his skills and knowledge. Mike lives far from us but said he knew someone that could probably help, and soon after we got a call from another iboats member named Sam (I don't actually know what his handle is). Anyway, this man has been our hero. He is finishing this boat for, taking up where my dad left off, and it's not a small job. Sam drives far to help us, is so cool about it all, and is making the boat look awesome. We are so thankful for Mike and Sam and thought we'd start posting some updates and pictures, as things go along. So we’re posting a few progress pictures below. The first is my dad with the boat back in 2006, and the rest show some prep work. We will post some painting pics next.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well welcome aboard ladies !!
Glad you decided to reopen your dads restoration thread ! I'm sure the mods will have no problems with that ! Thank you so much for the kind words ..
I am certainly no hero but I am here to help out any way I can . Past ,present ,or future members of our iboats family ! I'm sure any of the fellow members would do the same without question .
I just hope I can live up to yours and Charles's expectations . Charles was a true craftsman and paid great attention to detail ! The wooden kayaks that he built are truly a work of art !
We will sure need help with all the stuff to get this boat splashed . You know me . I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed with the mechanical stuff ...
Later , SP....

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sam,
The boat looks awesome. Mom was so excited to show me when I got home. I tried to post some pictures but apparently haven't quite figured that out yet. We will get there though!

jbcurt00

Staff member
SP, good for you, that's awesome to hear ^^^ Best of luck, although I don't think you'll need any luck.

Ladies, the forum is experiencing some growing pains. Pix posting is 1 of the challenges, as such, your pix didn't show up. Try using photobucket & once you upload the pix there, copy & paste the IMG code into your post.

Pix show up nice & big, and IN your post rather then as attachments that must be opened. Like this:
00O0O_7F1ewQJ3g61_600x450_zpse86102df.jpg

I'm sure SP will exceed your expectations. He'll do Charles proud.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I need to make a file to keep this in, it's getting lots of play lately:

Open a Photobucket acct. Upload the pix there. For each pix, there's an IMG code. It looks like this:
IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/00O0O_7F1ewQJ3g61_600x450_zpse86102df.jpg[/IMG

And the pix show up embedded into your post rather then as attachments:
00O0O_7F1ewQJ3g61_600x450_zpse86102df.jpg

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jbcurt, Thanks for the pix help. I will try to do this tmrw. SP is doing an awesome job. You will see in the pix. :)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome back!! Great bunch of folks here on Iboats. Cant wait to see you guys splash your Dads boat!!!

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the well wishes. We are attempting to insert pictures (an old pic ~2006 of dad with the boat, where it stood when he left us, and some progress pics).

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the well wishes. We are attempting to insert pictures (an old pic ~2006 of dad with the boat, where it stood when he left us, and some progress pics).

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sam does greatwork & it shows. Looking forward to the flip & seeing some progress @ the interior

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOW!!!! Quite a transformation. Sam only know's one way...The RIGHT way!!! Can't wait to see the flip!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well not sure if it's always the right way ... But between the 3 of us ,Woody ,and the rest of the crew . We'll get it back together !
Ok , so we need some advice . There are 2 holes that run through the hull located in the live well . I have never hooked up a live well system so I'm not quite sure how it hooks up . Is one hole to draw water into the well and the other just for a drain ? I believe Charles had run a wire for a pump under the deck already to supply power . Or does a hose hook up to both holes where it circulates the water . Just wondering if this should be done before the flip for better access to the bottom of the hull ..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
There are real simple ways to hook them up...the sketch below is one of the most basic...

The intake and drain are usually located on the transom near the bilge drain.

Or they can become quite complex as you can see in some of the pictures available at the link below...you might have to copy and paste it in to your browser...

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...6%3B1406%3B872

Simple works just fine...add a strainer to the intake, the spray [water inlet] can be a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in it and capped on the end to provide a poor man's aerator spray head and you can install a stand pipe in the drain opening or a ball valve...just be sure that if you use a stand pipe that it sits higher than the overflow drain...the overflow drain is what will determine the maximum water level in the live well and should drain at a slightly downward angle out through a thru-hull anywhere above the water line...

Installation can be done after the boat is righted unless access is limited to the transom intake/drain when the hull is upright...

Hope this helps some...

BTW, I have tried to send you a PM but the forum quirks are working against me...
Don't know if you received the PM, but the gist of it is, if you need any assistance and the location of Charles Ouachita is anywhere in my direction, or if you need any supplies that I can help with, feel free to holler at me...
For my personal contact info, just ask woody or jbcurt00.

Best regards to you, sir and much respect for undertaking the completion of this project...

I would like to add my heartfelt condolences to Charles' Family on their regrettable loss...

God Bless.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ladies, you may not understand the reference, but w/ the PM system down, it's easier for me to post this here:

Mike, Sam, Gus, pls check your emails for a sign reference...................

Sam, have the ladies made a color choice for the topsides yet?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks JB , will do ..
The topside will be blue and I think me, Kelly,and Lisa have decided on some type of blue stripe down the sides . I think Lisa was thinking on ordering the indian head logo emblem for the sides also . Will need Gus's photo paint skills pretty soon for some idea's ..
Will wait till the flip I think to install the intake /drain for the live/baitwell . There is no transom pickup hole just the 2 that are in the well itself .
Thanks everyone !

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
I have been noticing this thread the last couple of days. In addition, Gus contacted me today. Like him, I too would like to offer not only my condolences to the family, but also praise & celebration, most notably today, Father's Day, for what you are doing in tackling your father's project. What a great way to honor him. For some reason lately, I have been thinking of my own mortality & have been assured that should I meet my maker before my darn project is complete, they better finish it for me...I don't know your location...I am about 4 hrs. south of Sam & Gus a bit further down, but I too, would offer any services if you are in our neck of the woods. I will be watching closely & who knows, maybe a trip to the splash might be in my future. Until then, I hope you are filled with peace today, in remembrance of Charles.
Lisa(friderday)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sam, Ouachita logos are available in 2 styles and in 12 or 18" sizes:
Ouachita%20Boats%20Logo%20Proof.jpg

Ouachita%20Style%202%20Logo.jpg

From VinylApproach

I have used Garzon for vinyl work, and they did GREAT work. Several iboater's have used Shabestri as well, and they both will customize a stock logo to suit your needs and do quick work from even bad pix.

I sent a pix:
IMAG1505_1_zps67695cae.jpg

They produced:
SeaNymphCapacityplate_zps46188464.png

in less then 24hr from original sent to newly generated capacity sticker. They did have a SeaNymph capacity in their files, but mine had a different layout & some other details that had to be changed.

I apologize Sam, but I don't have your email. I did send a text to your 9951# earlier w/ my email.....

Status
Not open for further replies.