1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just thinking out loud.. Would it work to just use 5200 to stick it down?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The only thing with 5200 is it's pretty runny .. And might just flow down into the V shaped bottom ...

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been thinking about how I'll reinstall mine. It had two screws mounted into the 1/2" ply which was water and oil soaked and it always bugged me that it acted like a dam for water, even though the top of the mount may be below the bottom of the drain, and it holds the pump a little further above the hull. My pump has holes on the side so I was thinking of glassing in a vertical bracket to mount it to. I think I'll make it out of poly and just glass it in. Hopefully I can find another pump that side mounts if mine ever dies. Anyway, maybe you could make a horizontal bracket out of a few layers of 1708 and glass that in. It won't rot, it would be thinner than a wooden one so the pump could be mounted a little lower and you wouldn't have to seal it on the bottom. Just something to consider.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm no help on figuring out what to due about the bilge pump other than to say what about grinding off the bilge coat where you want to put the base and epoxy it directly to the fiberglass underneath.:noidea: What I do know is this is an amazing read from start to now. I am so glad you all decided to finish this project. I know it's been said by others, but I want to say thank you to Sam and the other iboaters who are helping out to see this project through. Not to forget Mom and Lisa you all are also doing terific. Keep up the great work.:encouragement: I'll be tagging along if that's okay.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You already KNOW the correct answer!:eek: Grind the paint off and epoxy a sacrificial base plate to the bilge deck then repaint it. That IS the correct way cuz if you glue to the paint it's only as strong as the paint. Anywhoooo that's this Old Dumb Okie's opinion!!!:D

tallcanadian

Captain
I have mine stuck down for now with 4200. So far so good. I have used a drop of fiberglass resin in the past. Also a few drops of PL Premium will also work. The only issue I would have in using a piece of ply is that the water will sit in along the edges. Just my nickel worth. (We don't have pennies in Canada anymore so I cant' give you just 2 cents worth) ;)

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just looked around and seems like several have used epoxy or 4200 and just glue it right to the hull.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well let me expand a bit more. I DID mean you should coat the Sacrificial plywood base with plywood so it would be sealed as well prior to painting it and then precoat the holes and screws as with any other installation in a boat. You want it to last as long as anything else. If it's encapsulated in epoxy and painted with bilge paint it should last as long as any other of the wood parts in the boat as long as it's maintained well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All really good food for thought everyone .. It will sit in a pretty tight bilge pocket and need to stay out of the way of 3 drain plugs .. In the position it needs to sit it will have some space under the mount .. 3/8" or more maybe ..
Might just run the mounting bolts with t-nuts installed under the mount hanging as low as I can get . Drill a couple extra holes in the center , Place the bracket and tape around the base . Then pump it full of 5200 and lt it dry . The t-nuts will work as an anchor of sorts ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Watched the first video .. I like the mounting bracket made from flat stock .. He needs better music though .. It was putting me to sleep ... :bored:
Or maybe I'm just tired ...Very informative though ...

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, sorry it has been so long since my last post. Kelly and I have had a lot going on in the family. When it rains here it storms. Anyway the Ouachita is coming along nicely. The horn works well, ask Kelly, he scared us both almost to death and not just once. Its kind of funny I think that the horn was the first thing he wired up. I know it is not easy finishing a project that someone else has started but Sam is doing a great job. I show it to everyone that comes by, they all say a professional could not have done better and can't believe how good sam and you guys have been to us, being total strangers, it is just amazing. I hope we may meet at least some of you one day. I know sam would also like to meet everyone. Lisa

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lisa, we are not strangers....were Iboats family!!! I have been wondering about you girls lately. Hope thing are turning the corner for you...

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Great to hear from you, Lisa. Cordell is correct-o-mundo!!! We are all family here...we support each other, even disagree at times, but we are always here if a shoulder is needed. I know this, personally. Life can sure throw us some curve balls, huh? But we just need to lean, if we need to, on those with hefty shoulders. We ALL are so happy you are here and look forward to any and all progress, even baby steps and will celebrate with you girls and Sam when the project is complete. I am sorta, kinda, maybe cavorting a plan to head a ways north sometime in the next couple of months. Rest assured, if I do, you ladies and Sam are on the hit list!!(that's a good thing, BTW). Keep plugging along...each day gets ya closer to SPLASH!! Lisa

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the update. Sam is a GREAT GUY and a man of many talents! I'm surprised he isn't bigger. It's amazing a body his size can hold a HEART that BIG!!!!;):D:eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey , you calling me FAT !!! :D
Glad to get back going on the Ouachita ... Just about got the kids moved in to there own place so more time to get this puppy ready to splash ...
And I know for sure if any of you guys and gals were close enough ya'll would be right here with us puttin it together ..
Glued the b/p in place with 5200 .. we'll see how it holds up . If it dont hold we'll punt and go to plan B ... Picked up a few fittings to install the livewell pump and a main battery switch .. Not too much left on the wiring .
Later ...SP

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Let me Re-Phrase!!! I am amazed at how such a SVELT BODY and hold such a LARGE HEART!!!!

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
He's like the Grinch..."his heart grew 3 sizes that day"...ok, maybe not exactly like the Grinch, more like the happy helpful jolly one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.